Zoom Ms-70 CDR

Re: Shallow Water, a brief demo: https://youtu.be/E7GJTLumq9A

Here’s a gorgeous demo of some other patches in that sub-reddit:

(And https://youtu.be/APcXZDDhLrk but less nuanced, plus some nice ambient ones https://youtu.be/UCvlbRWpAv4)

7 Likes

I have a MS-70CDR with the custom firmware that allows me to add effects from other pedals like the MS50B (firmware 1.1.0).

Is there any way to edit these additional patches from a computer?

As far as I can tell Tonelib used to only allow editing of effects on the official firmware, has this changed or are there any other alternatives that work, such as Zoomlib?

2 Likes

Thanks

Some more patches from them:

And a how-to:

2 Likes

There is also this nice web-based editor:
https://g200kg.github.io/zoom-ms-utility/

2 Likes

As I was looking for a compact and USB-powered multiFX box to go with my synth, I settled with the CDR-70, though the dual 5.35 jacks on the side were an issue for me, as it takes too much space, and that’s too much cables for my compact synth setup.

So I worked on a simple mod to add stereo 3.5mm input and outputs, that can be used in place of the side jacks. Turned out that it wasn’t too difficult to do as there’s some space inside the pedal and it can be easily disassembled. Here’s how it went:

First step was to open the pedal and search for suitable space. I settled for the space just below the 9V power plug, as there’s space for the two 3.5mm jack sockets side by side, and it would not be in the way of an angled USB cable.

Then I drilled the holes, at a very slow speed to not damage anything inside:

Finally, wire everything and we’re done:

That’s it! Now with angled USB and 3.5mm cable its footprint is really small, perfect for portable setups :slight_smile:

34 Likes

What brand are the 3.5 mm cables ? They look very low profile.

It’s cablecreation cables bought on AliExpress, they’re very good quality-wise and I never found more compact connectors :wink:

3 Likes

Can you share the part number and where you got the 3.5 female jacks?

These are the jack sockets I used: 5pcs Pj392 Stereo Female Sockect Jack 3.5 Audio Headphone Connector 3.5mm Stereo Headphone Audio Video Jack Socket Plug Hot Sale - Connectors - AliExpress

1 Like

Thanks.
I wish there was room for 2 x 1/4" TRS Jacks!

Just bought a MS-70 CD-R to add effects to my guitar to feed my MPC One. Will later (few months) purchase a synth. This MS-70 makes possible the order of a cheap synth. I don’t know yet which one. Maybe a Microfreak or Volca Keys or Typhon.

1 Like

Yes, ms70 cdr really makes shine any synth, cheap or not.
Speaking of Typhon, imho it doesn’t need external fx, as its own fxs are already amazing.
Depending on your budget, and the kind of sound you’re after, as 3 synths you talk about are very different.

1 Like

You’re right these synth are very different. I have to think about it. I’m not in a hurry. With the MPC I have a lot to explore again and I bought the FM plug-in OPX-4. Very powerful.
Microfreak (paired with the MS70) seems to be very fun. But these Typhon seems incredible also.
Regarding the MS-70 I used the Zoom Effects Manager 1.1.1 yesterday to add few distorsions and amp models from the MS-50 so I have all i need for my guitar. I plug it into the MPC through the MS. Despite what I thought I have no input level issues. Fantastic.
The MPC has a lot of reverbs, delays, distorsions, amp and much more. I could use it but MS ones are better for a guitar.

1 Like

Just bought it, and as usual, looked for and found some sysex unofficial access :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello, I have tried it following the scheme that you have presented and it does not work too well, it needs the original input jacks to be connected to make it sound good.

Yes, a jack is needed in the input R to enable stereo, I’ve yet to find out which pins needs to be bridged to simulate this jack insertion.

In my first test I used mono input signals so I didn’t notice this, but with stereo input you need the right jack to switch the pedal to stereo input.

Sure, I get it, it would be great if you could figure out how to make it sound stereo without having the main jacks connected. Thanks for your time and good work. Greetings

1 Like

Hi EN’s!
I also encountered a problem with Zoom MS70-CDR noise, it’s very similar to a ground loop noise but this also manifested itself from the power bank. I decided to try the method of insulating the ground contact of the usb cord and it worked. Now there is no noise even from cheap USB AC adapters. Just cover the metal part of the usb a connector with tape. Hope it works the same for you. Write here if this also helps you.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this fix. Couple of questions, are you talking about noise caused when using USB to power?

Can you post picture of where you are applying the tape?