Zero Cross Detection , Selection to Silence, Crossfades, and the Noise Gate

Hello Elektronauts!

I was wondering if there was a shortcut for tab to transient within the sample edit window. It would make sample editing much easier. What approaches do elektronauts suggest when using strip silence, the built-in noise gate and the cross fade features when editing samples within the octatrack environment? Fade graphics would be great visual feedback for sample editing but they are not implemented in the current OS and the strip silence is also kind of bare bones compared to other softwares.

Thankies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfcaTZebx9Q

P.S I know this isn’t the Avid forum.I hate subscription-based software.

Not sure what you mean by tab to transient.
If you want to chop samples by transient, then its a manual process on the octatrack. Personally I like doing it manually, you get much greater accuracy that automatic modes.

Not sure what you mean by strip silence. If you mean crop unwanted audio, then you can do that in the audio editor menu, flex track only, Edit page.

There are no fade graphics on OT.
Ive never found the need for using a noise gate, some of my old gear is noisy, but it gets buried in a mix so I dont care.

1 Like

I would like to look for a way to make sample preparation a bit faster when going through edits since the Create Slice Grids feature does not always provide positive results for some reason (maybe it is how I am setting everything up?).

Instead of the tab to transient terminology, Elektron usese the zero-cross detector but It sometimes misses the zero crossing mark so I have to go through the edit one by one via a scrolling method. Is there a shortcut for going through each of the zero crosses before the transients in a sample prior to slicing?.I am also having issues with Selection to Silence on the edit page because it is a destructive edit. If Elektron would provide an undo function for this it would be amazing. What is a good threshold to get rid of noise between drum hits while recording? Has anyone noticed if the recording quality is affected by using the noise gate?

No. If you hold function while scrolling it finds the next zero crossing. This is dependent on how tight you have zoomed in though.

If you are not happy with manual editing, sounds like you might want to prep your samples elsewhere before importing them to OT.

I couldnt possibly tell you a good threshold to set your noise gate without being in the room and seeing the signal levels myself. Noise gate doesnt not affect recording quality. Its just a gate.

2 Likes