YT Jams

It was challenging enough to try to play the piano and sing at the same time so no knobby things sorry but there’s a run down of the setup still.
(look at that ugly fingers trying to convince themselves they know what they’re doing when they clearly don’t!)

run down of the setup:

1. Prophet rev2 is used as a MIDI controller for Arturia Piano v2 that goes out to the Morphagene.

2. Morphagene is used in delay mode and played in reverse with Hermod modulating the gene to create small glitch

3. Morphagene goes into Typhoon to add reverb and granular goodies

4. the modular family goes into the Digitone (no FX from the DN)

5. Digitone has 3 tracks with some ambiant-ish melodies: all full of prob trigs

6. Octatrack is glorified sample player (violins) but also adds some FX. a bit of comp, phaser, reverb

7. Octatrack outs goes into the Rytm

8. Rytm is in song mode and is the master here sending tranport and clock to DN that forwards it to the OT.
    Rytm is playing a basic rhythm with some probs on the hi hats and some noise sounds and kick

9. everything is recorded via OB

the Morphagne in delay mode is very fun, that’s a nice use especially if you combine gene modulation as it brings a few glitches a delay wouldn’t create.

sorry for my piano skills. I have no idea what I’m playing…

2 Likes

I failed like, I don’t know, 6-8 times and my voice was out of order so here is version number 3. Don’t judge me :wink: This jam could have been shorter but I was having too much fun with the arp and forgot to, you know, stop!

rundown of the setup:

1. Digitone is in charge of kick, hihat1, hihat2 & arpeggiated key and sequencing Qu-bit Chord v2 (Digitone is the master sending transport/clock and MIDI to Hermod, converting MIDI note to CV for Qu-bit Chord v2 and sending gate to Intellijel Quadrax going into Intellijel QuadVCA). I’m also using delay, reverb and chorus for Chord v2 3d and 5th.
  2. Qu-bit Chord v2 is in harm mode. The root note is mixed centered used with a “normal” ASR envelope from Quadrax and then goes into DFAM external audio in. the 3d and 5th notes of Chord v2 are hard panned right/left and are using Quadrax envelopes as LFOs with different tempo (not exactly the right BPM but hey, I like it this way)
  3. DFAM is mainly used as a filter for Chord v2 root note but is also used as an extra VCA mid jam: I change the VCA decay to make it shorter, the root note starts to pulsate as per the sequenced velocity. I also use VCO1/VOC2 mid jam to add some melody/percussive sound.
  4. Hermod sends clock to DFAM and different LFOs to DFAM’s VCA decay, filter cutoff and VCO1 and to Chord v2 wave shape (everything is very subtle, just to add a bit of movement but you can clearly hear the filter cutoff being modulated at the very end when I close the filter)

I added H9 on the root note and keys.

I really enjoyed playing with Chord and Quadrax to create this weird rhythmical line but using DFAM as an extra filter/VCA with the sequenced velocity was a nice finding! and… it was really fun to play with the arp mode of the Digitone live. I am changing the length of the sequence randomly and the number of octaves. the arp sequence is 16 steps but I start with only 3 then increase slowly and then, do random step length/octaves.

1 Like

Supervisor is my previous jam:

wasn’t sure about this jam and didn’t upload it right away. I’m not so happy with the end result but I did have fun doing it, especially the Plaits voice synth was a lot of fun, talking to me weird stuffs :wink: Anyway, here is the run down of the setup:

1. Digitone is the master clock/transport here sending MIDI to Hermod for Rings and Minitaur. Hermod converts it to CV for Rings and propagates MIDI to the Minitaur. Digitone is hi hats (1&2), snare (with a delay not in time with the tempo creating this funny swing) and a kick (low probability to be triggered)

2. Hermod is sending CV to Plaits 1 (Kick). I’m using an Euclidean rhythm revolving on it self.

3. Hermod is also adding an Euclidean rhythm for Rings when receiving the MIDI notes from the Digitone

4. Hermod is also using yet another Euclidean rhythm for Plaits 2 (voice). set to 1/96 with a chance effect afterward. You can see me turning it on/off so that the probability of triggering the voice goes from 7% to 100%. You can see me manipulate the speed and the position of the synth voice to change the “words”.

5. Rings is in Eater egg mode and goes into the Analog Four inputs but I also use track 1 and 2 with the inputs as oscillators which allows me to use all the filters/LFOs on the sound. I have a few LFOs modifying the filter cutoff frequency and pan with some delay/reverb/chorus and trigs on the sequencer to retrigger LFOs randomly.

6. Analog Four receiving Rings as explained above is also triggering some SFX with a very low probability set on track 3 & 4.

7. Minitaur is doing… Minitaur.

even though I started with Rings and thought: “cool”, I couldn’t really get anywhere so I’m not really happy with this jam but I’m trying to stick to my one jam per week with no judgement on the end result.

2 Likes

Great singing - very trippy /verspult (tape salad) as we say in german - i like it. The trippy aspect is the plaids voice synth - very pleasant, like an acid choior, very cool.

1 Like

Thank you for listening and your comment!

Verspult could be a cool name for a band!

If you like weird you might like my very last jam then (got the most dislikes :sweat_smile:)

Love this one. (Love a lot of them, but this gets special mention.) I think in this case you’ve matched the timbre of the main chord backing and your voice in a way that makes it more…integrated(?!) (I am not a music critic!)

1 Like

@igtheflig Thank you!
I guess it was the right key for my voice or something (I am not a musician :rofl:)

my jam of this week (a bit late and might be a bit “obscure” or simply put: bad!)

I’ve tried something new: subs in the video to explain a few things. What do you think? Rundown of the setup:

1. Digitone is as always the master here, sending clock/transport to Hermod while doing kick, hi-hat and clap. the beat is in 17/16. The hi-hat has some off-tempo delay on it, to swing more.

2. DFAM follows a sequence but the PITCH CV goes into the TEMPO CV therefore it’s not following a 8 steps grid. The VELOCITY CV goes into the VCA CV, exaggerating the sequence more.

3. Hermod receices MIDI from the Digitone and converts it into CV for Plaits 1 & 2. I’m using the unison mode here so one MIDI channel for both Plaits is being used. Hermod sends also an LFO to Rings Position CV and send clocks and a random sequence to trigger the recording of the Morphagene.

4. Plaits 1 is the bass using Granular formant oscillator mode

5. Plaits 2 is the bell sound using the Harmonic oscillator mode. The aux output goes into the input of Rings

6. Rings is using the Easter egg mode of the String model which adds a reverb! I blend the main output of Plaits 2 with it in my mixer.

7. Morphagene receives clock from Hermod and a random record trigger with a sequence in 17/16 too. gene size and slide are at 12:00 while Morph is at 13:00. It records and plays my vocal (that goes out from the Apollo Twin X via line 3/4) through out the whole song. I don’t know when my vocal is going to be recorded or played so I was a bit disturbed from time to time haha.

8. Rev2 is a very simple patch and I play live for this wilding improvised ending.

My last jam and the most disliked one too!
I’ve been adding a thumbnail to my jams, I guess it makes it easier to know what sparked the idea for the jam? (and hide my most of the time weird singing face haha)

some fun with Qu-Bit Surface and Rev2 for this jam. 9 minutes for this one

Digitone only jam this time:

1 Like

merry Christmas, Happy new year & see you next year!

1 Like

And I said I wouldn’t go too much into modular stuffs…

There’s another mix available here with some added delays, vocals:

2 Likes

I’ve tried something new: subs in the video to explain a few things. What do you think?

That`s a good idea. I’m not sure if the average music consumer will get it, but many other musicians here will appreciate it. Just one thing: it is a lot of text and the cuts are quite fast. For me as a non-english native too much to follow the explications and listen to the music at the same time.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback!

I had the same feedback and tried to slow them down after that. Hope it’s better on the new vids.

Really liked your newest jam Host! I think I’ve never seen a song as structured as that performed live on the modular (and I mean this as a compliment). Groovy bass, great pad-like sounds and awesome, laid-back vocal melodies - nice work!

1 Like

Thanks man!

The Hermod sequencer really helps for that!

1 Like

Here is the jam Korpinen is talking about btw:

1 Like

a bit different from my usual jams I guess.
Tried out my newly (well, over a month now I guess) acquired Mother-32 (and Rings as an FM synth).

Subharmonicon in stereo thanks to the modular world : )
Plaits kick and hh. I’m spoiled as I can LFO the hh decay, timber, pitch, harm and level.
Rings drone.
Magneto = my fav delay so far.