Youtube tutorial suggestions

Hey all,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I’m an octatrack user and I’m planning to create a YouTube channel for Octatrack tutorials.

I’d like to make an Up and running with Octatrack series of videos and would like to know what info you wish you could find a video for or what you think would be essential octatrack knowhow for beginners.

-Sandles

5 Likes

Make a video showing how to rtfm.

2 Likes

Most people seem to get the basics themselves and fish out what they need when stuck, but if you wanna cover it fully I guess just clearly separated sections -

Sampling
Resampling
Trig types
Midi tracks
File management/saving from different OS areas etc
Mixer
Lfo
Arpeggio
Scenes

Etc…

Good luck with it, I’m sure it’ll help someone at some point :slight_smile:

Start with an Ot depends on what you already know about music, hardware, fx.
Basics would be loading samples, play them, plocks, lfo, scenes… Cover all possible modifications of the sound.
Videos for machines specificities…
Midi tracks…

If i would do such a thing i would imagine a series of courses bear in mind one person who have zero knoledge in music productions who buy only one device and buy the Octratrack.

• What’s does she/he need to learn to make a song from start to finish.
    (Prepared the content of the compact card so obviously some understanding of raw materials you can use in the Octatrack, how to prepare slices and why… Single Cycle Waveform… etc… and explain all… otherwise it serve nothing to build something on wind.)

• So after that there’s Music production FULL to cover through the Octatrack.

• Then i would cover the idea to extend the setup Octatrack + other device.

• Then i would cover how to organize and make a Live from a collection of songs.

• Then i would cover Creative way to use the Octatrack because obviously it can be part of multiple scenario
    (in a band with pickup machine, maybe in a drummer setup, maybe evolving and textures layered in 7 or 8 tracks and flatten then so in a more sound-design box, In compliment of a DJ Setup, Outside on Battery with mic and doing more concrete music, as a hub in a performance live setup to resample etc…)

People who make tutorial, from what i’ve seen is always too complicated. it’s impossible to know because no-one gives level indicator so watch something witch actually is too difficult and it cause trouble in the mind of the “student”… I think each video need to be marked as a level skillz and ordered properly so they can follow a curve of progression. They can watch directly something more easy or more difficult depend of their acquired knowledge.

You should take example on Elektron 101 “Overbridge & RYTM” from Thavius Beck
Which is not that bad i think and well organized also i think each video to be under 10mn is nice so when people who learn things it’s light and focused. it’s forced you also to make valuable content and not something like where you tired to watch someone who experiment. So think your content before, summarize what you have to cover in the video. Make it and if you make error restart and at the END you edit the video to Cut things not interesting or too long. to get a final edit of your tutorial focus. Don’t speak too fast, breathe etc…

10 mn is good. A good thing is to play the result of the tutorial at the begining, because sometime you can be disappointed by the end of the tutorial.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions!

I liked the octatrack 101 guides and will likely stick to that sort of format (<10 min). I want to keep things concise and well edited and the idea of showing the results at the beginning of the video is smart.

I intend to aim this squarely for beginner users and then maybe dive deeper into clever use cases/tricks once the basics are established.

2 Likes

Also be the most in the explaining in the context of something and less theory under the blackboard with white chalk… it’s always better to explain in the context of an example. What’s is Audio, What’s is midi, what’s is Rhythm, what’s is Melodic content, chords, harmony … what you can do on OT what you can’t and how to find a workaround to get things done.

I think when i started the thing i have the most difficulties to understand is the different FILTER available in the tools and all tutorials doesn’t explain well this tool in the substractive synthesis… They say and show by turning a knob but it’s actually barely used with hands and the effect of the filter with ENV or LFO then make sense… which is doesn’t really with hands… or over time factor (modulation)

Like the Filter is part or an EQ for instance.

Would love some coverage of setting up recording of samples that exceed 64 (like 128, 256).