Your Tips for Scene & Performance Modes

I like controlling the same parameter of all voices with one pad, much like the control all feature of machine drum. Filter, tuning, lfo depth, fx sends, are some of the ones I use frequently.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of using performance and scene modes to increase/decrease decay of amp envelopes, delay times, filters, filter envelopes, and more. It really makes the RYTM an awesome machine.

I typically use Scenes for AMP envelops and sample changes. I typically use Performance for FX and filter changes. Stuff that works well with slow changes. Oh, and sample start/end can be fun.

As Sternenlicht said, I generally use this to emphasize a certain element. I typically use the pad on the kick to emphasize low tones, the snare or clap to emphasize snappy tones, and so on. I try to keep similar results to similar pads from project to project to keep my performances in line with my expectations.

5 Likes

just playing around, geez, imagine if you could add retrig settings to scenes…

2 Likes

When you use a layered sound from synth and sample, the synth can be turned off by vol and the sample can be looped. Adjust the start end to fine tune. Very similar

2 Likes

Someone could explain me differences of perfm mode and scene mode ?

And how to set up ?

THANKS

Some of the best tricks I’ve learned come with using the Rytm’s LFOs in combination with other effects. If you send the LFO to the sample volume and then assign the LFO rate to the Performance pads you can get some really cool pressure sensitive gating effects with all of your samples. Then you alter the send levels to your delay and reverbs and get some mental sounding stuff going on. Controlling the filter envelopes with the pads can make for some cool reverse going into normal playback effects (pretty sure you’ll need to send the envelope to -64 before you hear a full reverse though). Altering stop/start points of a sample with the performance pads achieves something similar.

In scene mode I usually use it to create breakdowns and edit up my patterns a bit. So might change the key of a sample, take out a kick etc. In general, I find it easier to contain my project to only one or two keys on the sequencer and then use the scene mode to get extra variation. But that’s a personal workflow thing.

6 Likes

Perf mode pads change selected parameters gradually to predefined settings
Scene mode pads change selected parameters binary (max if on and no if off) to predefined settings.

In perf mode, Press function. Touch the pad and turn the encoders. Change track by track pad, the go on

(And read the manual ;))

2 Likes

They’re very similar but in performance mode you can have the FX assigned to it be touch sensitive. So to set it up you hold down function + the pad you want to assign the FX to, and while holding it change the knobs which control the FX you want to be assigned to the pad. So for example, holding down the performance pad and moving the pitch of a kick up 12 semitones will assign the pitch of the kick to the performance pad. Then when you alter the pressure on the performance pad you’ll find the pitch of your kick moves up based on how hard you hold it down.

Scene mode is set up in the exact same way but it’s static. So, if you were doing the above, when you hit the scene pad your kick would just move up an octave once the pad is hit.

1 Like

Thank you guys it’s helpful !!! I’m going to try it now

1 Like

I love using the drive on a performance pad (and adjust level too).
filter is always good…

i figured out, that for me its always about just ONE PARAMETER FOR ONE PAD… if you take three filter parameters each on one pad, you can really jam the hell out of a bassdrum :-))

for scenes i love pitch settings… so with a fingertipp you can transpose the whole “melodic” elements to another pitch… for sure delay and reverb is also great

this becomes handy with using the log-pad-trick (in performance mode press a pad, hold it and switch into scene mode… the pressed pad parameter will stay active, even if you start muting or playing pads after that)

2 Likes

I found useful to use Scene modes to program mute-patterns, like 1st scene mutes 1st, 5th, 8th and 10th pad, 2nd scene mutes 2nd, 3rd, 7th and 9th pad, and so on.

Yeah, I’ve started digging into doing this and sending some complex and speed-varying LFOs from :elot: to select active scenes via CC 92. Adds a level of madness that you wouldn’t get from deliberately programming in song mode.

2 Likes

Maybe this is a bug, but in perf mode if I press and hold a particular pad and then another one the second one seems to get latched. Also it seems to ramp up to full pressure. It stays lit pink/purple and when I just tap it it stops. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but I’d like to be able to control it at least. Anyone else?

gotta try this! great thx

My fave scene is making crazy howling feedback with the delay + dist and comp.
Its sounds totally wild and many may hate it. but I love it, makes the analogness of the rytm really really worth it.

Scene Settings.

• make a beat with a bassline (not sub - must have some mid range freqs)

• kill the kick and hats (vol to 0)
    -with bass track open filter to taste with max resonance.

• again with bass track add massive amounts delay and reverb and some extra distortion if you want

• compression mix to %100 , threshold to about 70 on HIT or HPF

• master dist to about 40, sym to - 30 , delay overdrive to 30 on Pre

• decent amount of delay feedback (84ish) HPF 37 LPF 95

• double check makeup gain and master vol are low - this can get out of hand !

Copy Scene and Paste

• change bass filter res and cutof settings and delay rate for variance

Im not sure if this will actually get anything similar to what I have but anyway…

The fact that I can get howling electric guitar meets king tubby on crack sounds from a fucking drum machine makes me happier than anything in this world.

7 Likes

I own a Rytm for one year now. And I never really use Perf or Scenes… i just read this today… but since, what a real new perspective (lot o’ fun).
Thanks.

1 Like

I try with Squid for quick tests.
Now programming with Cirklon… wow
My patterns sound so differents. Just other patterns.
:star_struck:
:clap:

2 Likes

Midi for Perf and Scenes, my new variation factory.
I’m just like a chimp that discover how to jump from branch to branch :monkey_face:

1 Like

Hey bud it’s been many years but I have a question about your Rytm and performance fader use.

Can you use the fader when setting the performance too? Or did you still have the press the pad.

No idea. Maybe someone else can answer.
Sold both of those pieces of gear ages ago.

I’m pretty sure you need to set up the perf by pressing the pad. The midi control is just equivalent to pressing the pad when its not in perf setup mode.

1 Like