Your setups [ 10k Archive]

JeeVanEe - can you post more photos of your room and cabinet? Or pm me ? I’ve found it really inspirational.

It’s an Avantone Mixcube Mono-Blok.
It’s a mono grot box for nailing down mixes for mono speakers (which is how 70% of your audience will usually hear your music) and speakers with limited frequency range.
For mixing, it’s the best $250 I’ve ever spent on my mixes.
In fact, I’d say, during mixing, I use that speakers 80% of the time and the Barefoots the other 20%.
During tracking and mastering though, I use the Barefoots.

1 Like

This room in particular is a bit small and carpeted with slightly higher ceilings, so slapback and reverb haven’t really been an issue.
I make pretty low energy music, so I may just put some diffusers in the “mirror spots” and call it a day there.

For me, I think it’s going to be bass as the Barefoots are pretty close to the back wall and corners.
In my old place, the Barefoots were in front of a large window and the bass frequencies would just travel through the glass and not “bunch up”.
Here, they’re definitely going to be an issue.
So behind them I’m going to place a group of diffusers in the center and then some bass traps in the corners.
Might hit the corners in the back with bass traps, but I mix and track really low to save my ears so the bass may not be a problem that far back.

tl;dr Not too bad. :joy:

Yeah, you already seem to be compensating for the room with your other choices (mixing at low volume, relying heavily on the avantone).

Thanks!

I am very content.

Interesting. Have you tried to mix on a budget low quality mono speaker instead of this one or with Utility set to mono in Ableton and your Barefoots? I wonder what’s the difference.
I guess it’s 250$ only because it’s active.

My current set-up that I’m working with, will be adding a Minilogue this week:

4 Likes

2 Likes

I haven’t tried a different mono speaker; this one happened to be freshly manufactured when I was looking for an old, passive Auratone.
I believe the $250 price tag is due to the build quality and the fact that it’s active; it’s a beautiful speaker.
I think really it’s just the lack of bass and honky mid-range that is the necessity.
This thing is like a microscope for mids, which is where most of my mixes fail.
Honestly, I could probably just use the Barefoots as they’re just as honest, but it’s best to have at least two references, IMO.

Behringer have made one that’s just as good for a bit cheaper now, though.
I bought this one back in 2010 when they didn’t make them.

I just want to say first how insanely jealous I am of your Barefoots. /Drool.

So I am really interested in mixing this way. At the mo I have a mono clicked on my DAW and interface with the signal panned all the way to one side going through my nearfields. So far I’m getting great results.

Naturally I was drawn to these cubes. I wonder if you tried against the Avantones the Behritones and the OG Auratones. Do the prices make that big a difference?

EDIT: ANSWERED ABOVE :thup:

Yeah, if you’re getting the results you want, it may be best to stick with the setup you have rather than introducing a a new variable that may or may not help.
I’ve just kept it because selling it would be kind of a pain and it’s a nice second reference.

A lot of really nice setups here. I posted an acoustic electronic setup thread a couple months ago, and I’ve just now come to grips with some solid ways the OT (yaylı tanbur and now the OT are my main instruments) will work for me. I’m finally getting some results I like, so I’ll post my newest material in that thread tomorrow and put a link here. But here’s my very minimal setup:

10 Likes

Very much looking forward to hearing sounds from this! Is that a looper pedal or just preamp?

Finally got a desk in my new apartment so spent some time today plugging stuff in and organising routing etc. Have to say that it’s easier to stave off GAS when you have zero additional space. Maybe I could squeeze another 2u into the rack but that’s it. Room has a pleasant jungle vibe, lots of trees outside.

4 Likes

Cheers. Here’s a link to a rough sketch I did a couple days ago: https://soundcloud.com/zanelazos/the-road-to-ur-v-1

Edit: the small box is a Radial PZ Deluxe, since I’m using an internal mount piezo in the tanbur.

1 Like

almost done… :3lektron:

2 Likes

This is super cool, very similar to what I would like to do!
Couple of questions for you,
What are you using the iPad for?
Are you rocking a guitar amp somewhere?
If so how do you have it mic’d for sampling?
If not what kind of amp sim are you rocking?

Do it. It´s exhausting, but fun.

In this setup I mainly use the ipad as a mixer with Audiobus and mimix to integrate the guitar, op1 and vocals from the iconnect audio 4+. Guitar signal here comes from my pedalboard. Last in the chain is a strymon big sky. It has a dipswitch at the back to enable a (pretty gorgeous) cab simulation.

Although in this setup I used Tonestack for all guitar processing. Soundwise it´s not much of a difference, but it´s so much more fun to play with the pedalboard.
Good luck. Andre.

https://scontent.ftxl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13483130_410196232499981_903770957132981148_o.jpg

Would you have any recommendations on what to put between a guitar and an Octatrack? I’m looking for a cheap solution that gives a guitar some tone, no fancy gimmicks needed.

There´s so many on the market. This has also some fancy gimmicks, but I think it´s worth it.
http://www.iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iConnectAUDIO2plus

and you can connect a usb midi footswitch, which is great for playing guitar with the octatrack, pickup machines etc. Good luck.

You can use a Zoom G3 as an all-in-one box with cab sim / amp sim and a bunch of FX. Or if you want to keep it even simpler and avoid menu diving you can use the Mooer TresCab and some overdrive pedal in front. Both solutions will cost you around 140€.
Even cheaper would be using some guitar interface for your phone for the cab/amp sim like the iRig stuff.
Oh and there’s also the Zoom MS-50G for a super compact and cheap all-in-one box.

2 Likes