Your setups [ 10k Archive]

How are those three getting along? I think the DN and AR go really well together. Trying to decide on a sampler myself

Found out the hard way that ext input volume on the DT is per pattern. Since I have the AR passing through the DT … that really sucks. Using the ZIOA send FX, out going to one pair of OT inputs, CUE out on the OT going to ZOIA in(REALLY love this). So no more inputs… having trouble with gain staging on all three devices now…

But damn is the AR awesome.

There’s no shame in using a mixer :stuck_out_tongue:
You can get them pretty cheap these days

2 Likes

Lot of digital love there

i’d argue you’ll get better sound as well. i’ve heard a few live sets w/peopel routing one elektron into another then into the PA and it always sounded pinched and I know that has to do w/how the levels are set up in each machine and various effects but i’d say you’ll have a better time of it if you just get a $150 little yamaha MG series mixer… especially for live sets. stick any 2 channel compressor at the end and it’ll jell together nicely.

3 Likes

+1 for the Yamaha MG series mixers. I use a MG10xu and it has enough inputs for a few stereo synths, some mono synths and a outboard fx unit as a send. The usb version works nicely for tracking into my daw.

1 Like

I usually recommend Mackie mixers. I think the quality is probably the same at that price point, but with Mackie you get built-in returns for your aux sends. most other brands don’t do that, unfortunately. I’m pretty into rack mixers lately though, just to save space, and I don’t use the EQ anyway.

1 Like

I’ve actually been looking at the Mackie Mixers lately. I just wish they had a 12 channel mixer with USB and 4 Bus. Maybe they do? The Profx16v2 ticks those boxes, but being 16 channel, it looks too big for my studio space.

Do Mackie Mixers color the sound much? Also, I’m kinda clueless about the built in returns. What does that feature allow?

Edit: I’m thinking also that upgrading to a Yamaha Mg12xu will provide an extra aux / send and provides 4 bus recording over USB. And still a smaller footprint. Might be the most logical choice.

How are you finding the preenfm2?

I have one incoming

1 Like

built in returns means you don’t have to sacrifice mixer channels for effects returns. so if you’re running four effects, one for each aux, then you lose four channels (stereo or mono, depending on the effect). if you want to further process the returns or EQ them, this can be useful. if not, you may be losing a channel you’d like to have.

I’m using a 1604 vlz4. Mackies these days are super transparent, which is good if that’s what you want or bad if you’re hoping for some secret vintage or lofi mojo. Returns basically let you set up built in fx loops, where you can route your aux sends through an effect and back into the board to the return inputs without eating up proper channels on the board

4 Likes

older mackie mixers are a little better imo. the new ones just aren’t as good. the yamaha mg series is a solid line and i think they have better pres w/more headroom. i use a mackie 1640i onyx that i’ve had for 10 years and it’s great but if i had to buy a new mixer for the studio i’d go with A/H or soundcraft… unless i win the lottery then i’d get n API or something ridiculous;)

but for live gigs id just get a little yammy mg series mixer

2 Likes

I use a Yamaha mg12xu mixer, I bought it a little over 3 years ago, I use it almost everyday & it works great, no issues.

I think it’s a good mixer especially for the price (around $300, costs $50 less for the model without effects… got mine off ebay, a little more money when buying thru Sweetwater, Guitar Center, ect, but not by much).

Includes 24 effects (not great, but def usable & can use a foot switch to turn the effects on & off), individual compressors on 1st 4 channels, phantom power, individual eq on all channels, mute buttons, 2 channel audio interface & nice routing options (2 send outs, 2 group outs, monitor outs, stereo outs & outs for powered speakers).

A lot of this I’m sure you know since you have the mg10, but throwing in some feature details incase anyone’s interested.

1 Like

PreenFM2 is my very 1st hardware synth.
lovely FM machine, highly recommended.

2 Likes

Cool. I like the multi timbral aspects of it, so I’m hoping it’ll be a good pair for the OT.

almost done with the modular. mangrove en route, only two panels left to change

17 Likes

I did not know that the intellijel 1u modules are available in black. Looks great.

2 Likes

i just took the panels off and spray painted them lol

2 Likes

Good job.

1 Like

Hey, can you explain why and how this is helping your flow?

1 Like