Your setups [ 10k Archive]

Aaa ok thanks, didn’t know that good
to know!

It is quite involved and easy to break the glass when doing the internal upgrade yourself. Heck, my wife’s iMac had a simple HDD swap by the Apple Store (dead drive, under warranty), and even THEY broke the glass on accident doing the swap. So she got a brand new drive AND new glass due to their goof.

Mine came with a 1TB HDD internal when I bought it (used).
Cost to upgrade it to internal SSD was $150 + the cost of the drive.
And I’d only be getting about 50MB/sec sequential read improvement (500MB instead of 450MB over USB 3.0). 6Gbps SATA III vs 5Gbps USB 3.0
So cost to benefit ratio wasn’t good enough, and it works perfectly fine as an external boot drive.
The key is make sure you have an ASMedia USB controller on the enclosure, to get full bandwidth for both read and write.

I use this one with a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, and just have it velcroed to the top of the stand/arm on the back of the iMac. I use the internal 1TB for documents, pictures, videos, etc.

Another good thing about the 2012 iMac is it was the first with USB 3.0

3 Likes

@AdamJay Removing the glass is really not that bad. That people in Apple store must have done something stupid.
You just need to have suction cups. I used 2 of these car window holders for phones. :slight_smile:
ps.
If you ever get a video card malfunction on 2012 model it’s easy to repair yourself. my repair centre couldn’t fix it and suggested new gfx card butI’ve removed the board and placed it in an oven for a couple of minutes to resolder contacts. And working fine till this day. :metal:

1 Like

hmmm… had never heard of people busting the glass trying this procedure. I have been considering it for my early 2009 iMac. now I’m kinda scared :anguished:

It’s quite easy, the screen is held by couple of small magnets in the top section. So just need suction cups and v. little force to pull the glass out. Well documented on youtube.

2 Likes

I don’t deny that it is easy for some people. But these are all just anecdotes.
However, what was much easier is just using an external enclosure :slight_smile:

YMMV, and mine being out of warranty wasn’t worth the hassle for 50MB/sec.

1 Like

Same here.
The Apple tech said that the older the device is, the more difficult, more prone to mistakes.
Something about the adhesive hardening in certain spots differently.
Apparently iSight cameras get messed up on the regular, as well.
I’ve lost bluetooth on a 2009 MBP while replacing the battery. Things happen.

All I know is that if the person paid to do these things daily broke the glass, there is a good chance I, or my wife, would have done just as bad or worse after watching a youtube video and buying a kit.
Not worth it for me with a desktop computer.

2 Likes

Later iMac’s (2012 onward, sans CD-ROM) have the screen attached with double sided tape, which has to be replaced before reattaching the screen.

Replacement tape/tools can be bought as kits. Pretty easy to install an SSD drive once you’re in… appreciate opening up expensive electronics is not for everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Focused setup on my desk. Secondary station. mixer outs are going to a stereo pair on my mtk 12. Reverb is on CD bus of MnM. Mixer send to h9->El capistan. Octatrack can sample any input from mackie or anything from mtk12 with or without some analog heat on the way into CD. AB is for phone YouTube or world radio sampling. Sm57 hiding in the corner.

19 Likes

jus interesting: why 50?
isn’t it better to finish 10 cool tracks than 50 average?

1 Like

maybe he’s going for 50 cool tracks. NO average tracks.

3 Likes

Maybe he’s just going to buy more gear :rofl:
Just kidding

1 Like

that’s right all killer, no filler

5 Likes

Longtime lurker/ appreciator of this thread – First time poster:
(Disclaimer: the Digitakt is my bandmate’s – Together, we are Xuiqen.)

12 Likes

euro starting to get it’s claws into me…
MD still holding its ground though.

12 Likes

Nice affordable Push cover indeed!

1 Like

roflmao, yes. I sincerely wish everything were that straightforward. :laughing:

I like the replacement knobs on the DFAM. Those original wee black ones trouble me. :joy:

my little setup. only been in to making music (outside of drumming) for a year now, so still in its infancy. i built the flatboard myself. intentionally left plenty of space for more gear. i need to build a road case for it or have one custom made; it’d be a real joy to not have to carry so much gear separately and have to connect it all so often. the whole thing sits next to me while i’m behind the drums. it’s been great incorporating this stuff into the several bands i play with! box on the bottom right is a midiverb ii.

22 Likes

I love actual drummers who incorporate electronics into their sound.

4 Likes