Your setups [ 10k Archive]

8030a
I love them, have owned them for over 10 years now.

They go down to 58hz.
There is a 10" powered sub under the desk reproducing 57hz and below.

1 Like

what’s the purpose of the apogee duet if you already have the qupac?

Far better D/A and dynamic response out of the computer and DAW monitoring.

2 Likes

yah, daw monitoring has lost a certain something since i replaced my audio interface with the qupac.

Mmmhmmm. The A/D is better than the D/A on the Qu.

I got the Duet 2 several years ago for around $300, it’s great between my DAW and Genelecs.

2 Likes

I love this environment.

Pinching myself a bit… getting close to the dream setup. I won’t use all these at the same time, but I completed the ‘Drum Trinity’ today with the addition of a MD UW+. I’ve wanted a MD for many years, but never seemed to catch the right one. I really dig the differences between the AR and MD sounds. DT for sample library, sequencer and well… sampling! Yes, I have a bit of an addiction for drum machines! Very satisfied for now. :laughing:

14 Likes

8 Likes

So how are those 2 working out for you? Share some thoughts on the MPC Live, if you don’t mind. I’m a bit intrigued by it but puzzled by the lack of details I’ve seen regarding filters, effects, etc.

It’s amusing to see all the random shit people have on their desks such as a pocket knife, markers, watches, wedding ring(?), tape measure, etc. Mind you, I’m not judging, I have all sorts on my desk as well. That’s a drum machine power trio, btw. :smiley:

1 Like

They work very well together. Seemless and simple.

2 Likes

Haha, yes, I’ve got a little collection of random stuff – spot on with identifying all of it! My ‘media room’ (wife’s label) is my sanctuary, so this 20 yr old computer desk pulls a lot of duties. Trying to upgrade to a cleaner and larger sit/stand desk in the next year that’ll hopefully force me to be more organized. I’ve actually got a bunch of storage containers in here, but I’ve also got a ton of stuff in this room as it’s my little world within the world.

1 Like

And still no mention of filters or effects. Hehe.

1 Like

There are a lot of options for both filters and effects and you can stack the effects 4 deep per program and also per sample/ pad. Some sound real good others are more meh. It’s a deep machin that people who never even used a mpc hate on. Think of it as a scaled down mini daw with a mpc sampler and sequencer. They are not high end effects but you have a lot of options and some honestly are as good as some of th effects boxes I have. I use the vintage modes heavily, the compressor, delays and every now and them some pitchshifters, bit reducers ( although the sp1200 modes are better in my book), and some of the dynamics stuff. It’ll get you close enough that mixing and master are a breeze. It’s more of something that you record what you play on the keys and pads than electron stuff you program. Way different wrk flow and that simple setup of the analog keys and a live is honestly something to marvel at. So streamlined yet so powerful in terms of actually making solid tracks and arrangements. That’s not a happy accident setup, it’s one where you know what you are going to do and do it solidly.

3 Likes

It is a deep machine and for some reasons it can be really easy to dislike, it has some strong points and some very obvious weaknesses (Clip mode is utterly useless).
The effects are more or less utilitarian, nothing really stands out (apart from the grime distortion and tape delay), reverbs sound really bad to my ears.
Filters are plenty and to my ears they sound good. Per pad you can have one filter, 2 to 8 poles LP, BP, HP and a few special ones which I never really investigated.

1 Like

Want more details ? There’s a topic for that : MPC Live & MPC X
The interwebs are also full of reviews, rants and praises.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a DAW in a box. Agreed…the filters are ok. The filters are not why I purchased it.

I would say the 120 are actually more than useable at 50hz, it’s more about placement and eq settings. Plus you open up a can of worms with a sub

How’s that Organelle treating you? been GASing for one a while now…

It’s been treating me well, mostly using it to process audio from the OT cue outs, but it amazes me at how versatile it is. I love that it can be what I need when I need it. The community around it is great and there are so many patches to sift thru I haven’t had to get into the pure data side of things, which was the one thing that intimidated me about it.

2 Likes