Your Setups (Part 1)

My “studio” (home office) setup is very near completion (for now). Just waiting to take delivery of an OT2 on Tuesday. I will upload a pic once I get the OT connected into the rest of the setup.

Last night I put the finishing touches on audio routing (I think) to get ready for the OT. I was a bit intimidated, and there’s a quite a bit to remember about the audio signal path and how I want to redirect it from and to various pieces of gear. I find this to be one of the funnest things to do with everything. I am like a kid in a candy store, just thinking about all the things the audio is doing to get to its final destinations. I am reorienting myself to a new Mackie 1642VLZ4 16-channel mixer. I purchased this after my very old (25 years-ish) 12 channel Mackie Mixer started to sketch out on a couple of channels. I also wanted something bigger, and with more aux sends (this one has four, my old one had two). For extra channels, I bought a used Mackie 8 channel FX mixer (don’t care about the FX, just the 8 channels, and it was cheap). This submitter is also positioned so that I can get spread some of my desktop synths (MPC One and M:S) a bit further away from the main mixer. I am currently using the first aux send to go to the Eventide H9 pedal and the second aux send to the Strymon Bluesky. I am using aux sends three and four as stereo outs to a couple of 5 way splitters that then route out to various synth ins (MPC One, Analog Four, MatrixBrute, Mother 32, and next week, OT). I use the XLR main outs to go to the “monitor” ins on the Apollo Twin, then back out to the Yamaha HS8s. I use the ¼ inch main outs to go to the “line in” ports on the Apollo Twin for recording on my Mac.

Last night, after setting all of this up, I was having a blast using the Kronos as the midi controller for everything else, then sending audio from various instruments through other instruments, and then deciding whether to also run them through various effects processor. Probably my favorite experiment from the evening was running the Wavestate through the AF2, changing the sound parameters on both boxes simultaneously, then recording it into Logic and messing with it there. Can’t wait for the OT to join in the fun.

One thing I could not figure out (will need to check the manual) is how to hear the MPC One while it is recording. I got the signal, registering on the screen. I have audio coming out (can play pads), but while recording, no sound coming out of the MPC One. Can hear play back, but not while recording. This happened both when recording to an audio track and also while recording a sample to edit. Probably something simple and dumb that I just didn’t notice, but it was the one thing I just couldn’t figure out. Well, lots to learn, and that’s what makes it so fun.

so, my rig for this summer/autumn.
i know you’re curious. it’s a prototype unit i got for beta testing.

9 Likes

haha! it’s a reference to the Simpsons “that’s a paddlin’” scene :rofl:

6 Likes

Is that the korg step sequencer?

I’ve finally found some calm with my setup at my pad. Literally have turned the room around like 15 times. So many competing energies, but I feel like this is it. I was sort of here before, but slight differences have changed everything else at my place, for the better. Added a screen, monitor arm, keyboard, mouse trackpad etc. All the boring stuff. Did get an iPad Air recently, but more for chilling and not music. Might check out an Ableton controller or something at some point.

But I’m feeling a sense of peace with having a minimal, daw-focused thing, and the Strymons are lovely for some hands on processing at times, the second desk as a kindve play space. The Moog sound studio still hasn’t arrived yet, but this is a platform for other things as they come in now. I have this shelf thing away from the desk which is nice for keeping things on, and put stuff away and grab it out as needed, rather than having everything setup all the time like midi controllers etc.

In terms of what’s next, was gassing for a DT and DN for a bit but that has subsided. Perhaps a better interface, but I can get by. I think the next thing I’m after is a mix-pre 6 ii. For field recording and quick laptop-free records. Interested to see if Abe’s announce anything during Loop, but I wouldn’t mind some nice daw sequencing or control, maybe an Electra one when available, or a torso t1. Other than that I’m pretty happy.

23 Likes

lovely, calming, serene… bet it’s great with the blinds raised too

1 Like
1 Like

12 Likes

Nice! What are those table top racks? I can’t read the brand. I could use something like that.

1 Like

Thon — they’re the Thomann house brand.

1 Like

How are you liking the theoryboard?

I bought a second. I dont ever want to be without one.

1 Like

Mine should finally arrive Monday, unless Posti screws up again.

1 Like

They’re basic 6 rack unit Thon tabletop-racks from Thomann. Perfect height for still being able to use the stuff on top of them.

2 Likes

I’ve finally got the program changes working consistently… the Analog Rytm/Analog Four/Digitone setup covers so much ground, and I have the Novation Peak and Deepmind running off the DN’s midi seq tracks. :v:

26 Likes

Nice! Hope you enjoy.

1 Like

Sweet setup - some things in common with where I’m headed.

Any recordings of this? Would love to hear.

Also, what are your thoughts on keystep pro? Right now I have the original keystep, and it’s super fun, but playing different sequences on different channels might add a lot to what I’m doing.

Honestly, the music is awful, it just looks good. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Joking… but I feel like a rarity on here, I don’t have an account to upload anything onto right now… I should set up a Soundcloud.

I love the KeyStep Pro, great for the arps, tons of performance options and the workflow/project architecture is really good.
I use it in several ways, but in the setup you can see there I just have 2 KSPro tracks controlling the auto-channels of the A4 and Digitone (which gives me the Peak and Deepmind then too).

It’s a great front end for the Digitone and A4 when they’re sync’d… it gives you access to 16 patterns per track with chains and scenes, so I find it really complimentary to the Elektron sequencing.

3 Likes

Ha! All good. I know the feeling. I have recently been using bandcamp, and from the artist side I find it to be a lot more fun than soundcloud was. Let me know when you get it setup, I’d listen.

This sounds so good, I intend to do something similar with M:C and sh01a.

Thanks for the thoughts. Stay rad.

Was trying to upload a pic of my studio. Tried “upload” and then posted a reply, and it just included a link to get to the pic. Tried to cut and past, and it just added a descriptor of the pic, but not. the pic. Should be easy, but can’t figure out how to upload a simple jpeg or pdf of my studio. What am I missing?

1 Like