Your Setups (Part 1)

Updated setup while waiting for NDLR and Kenton Control Freak Live :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I had to triple check if your Richard Devine - same light and perspective in the photo. :sweat_smile: But he has obviously way more gear. I wonder if he has some kind of addiction.

1 Like

I actually didn’t pick the light color…They are grow lights for my house plants.

1 Like

I like how aside from the odd dark trinity or DT/DN combo, almost no setups are exactly the same. I find it really interesting seeing what people choose for their setups.

3 Likes

He (Mr. Devine) is a sound designer by trade, so he “needs” to have a lot of options at his fingertips. I think, though, he has to have some kind of special ability to compartmentalize or something. I’d go nuts with all the options and parameters and remembering how the heck to do this with that.

1 Like

Octatracking whilst waiting for a new challenger

7 Likes

That would be fun to sample!

Pretty bold statement in the Elektron forum :wink:

The Audio Fuse Studio has some handy features to make this quite easy.

Those are great combos, that obviously work great, and are clearly meant to be used together. I’m certainly not knocking them! I just mean that they’re the exception to everyone having a different setup. Even amongst those setups though, probably most people would be using different headphones, or speakers.

I might also add OT/DN/DT to that list.

The reason so many people do use them together is because they work so well and actually become nearly one cohesive instrument.

1 Like

Cool, no offense either, just trying to be funny :grinning:

I have ar and a4 mk1 combo myself, but just got a rytm mk2 and maybe use only that and an iPad and sell the two mk1s… will see how that feels in the next weeks

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my credo as well! I need all this to be happy. Next stop: Modular!

But even with all the gear the same two tracks come out of it. Either an Autechre clone track that lacks cohesion, just randomness. Or Pandora electronic chill/ambient. :grimacing:

Adding (just my opin)
Cooler stuff has come from this
RDJ setup

Than this…RD setup

11 Likes

Ha - yeah, if you’re talking about his music, definitely. Can pick it up from a mile away.

2 Likes

You mean like (later) Autechre? :speak_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

Burn the heretic!

#UnpopularOpinion

5 Likes

To me, that just tells me you’re not listening.

1 Like

Well you’re right about that :wink:

On paper i should love them… Adventurous, experimental electronica. I went through their entire back catalogue this year, and beyond about 2000 I kept thinking exactly what you wrote - Lacks cohesion. But hey, taste is taste eh. I guess I’m just in the mood to get burned alive :tongue:

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of art though, one man’s cohesive masterpiece is another man’s out of time electronic bin slapping.

Subjective innit.

5 Likes

True dat. Which is part of the reason I don’t like to talk about good and bad taste in music (/ arts in general). There is just taste.

1 Like

that legendary pic… never noticed he has an MS50 and MS20 in there; was always so distracted by the Synthi… what’s all over his MPC? mini disc players?

also, if you’re thinking for a second that RDJ’s setup (even back then) doesn’t dwarf RD’s, then you’re kidding yourself.

2 Likes