Your setups [ 10k Archive]

If I had my time again I’m not 100% convinced I wouldn’t go completely ITB with just Push or Maschine by way of a controller

1 Like

How sync your x0xbox with usb or use midi ?

That web of cables tho

3 Likes

I know man, I really need to sort that out.

I’m glad I gave OTB a good go. Other shit sort of got in the way making time a premium- looking back I was in a less senior position at work and found the job a complete breeze so much more spare time in evenings and way less tired all the time! ITB is just more manageable and immediate to me.

Still, your set up looks incredible! Can’t help feeling jealous. I was about to write that it must be cool having a set up like that in the attic then realised that was stairs on the left!

2 Likes

Haha yes it is - frankly just trying to put the Octatrack in my attic would bring the ceiling down

1 Like

OT as midi seq for all. Still I think this is too much…

Too many dicks on the dance floor… too many dicks… :nosey:

4 Likes

I’m in a similar place here. Gone through sooo much gear the past several years. Wish I could have that time back. None of it really made that much difference. I still sound pretty much like me no matter what’s plugged in. I find ways to make various gear produce my favorite type of sounds. Oh well. Gotta chalk it all up to a learning experience.

Another thing I spent tons of time on - just moving bits of gear around to try and get the best setup, ergonomics, etc. Jesus. My wife says my “true hobby is plugging and unplugging things”.

I’ll always have a few bits & bobs laying around I’m sure. But no more out of control GAS. Thank god.

6 Likes

something i notice with gear/anything that’s adding to your studio experience, is when you get that burning sensation of needing a particular something and you satiate it with a brand new toy, the new toy often spurs a feeling of needing something else to accommodate ​the presence of what you just bought.

and i’m so incredibly guilty of unwiring and rewiring / moving a box here and a controller there…it’s far less intimidating than sitting down and working out a music problem.

putting limits on your work, whether it’s conceptual or concrete, i think helps to get your work focused / purposeful, otherwise things get muddled real quickly.

7 Likes

Saw this on another forum today. Pretty good summary.

Busted out the “gear” spreadsheet earlier. This is a list of all the gear I’ve gone through in the past several years. Spent many years with just software and controllers. But when the hardware bug bites, it really bites hard. Holy…

Yeah, I think I have a problem. Good exercise though. Writing everything down makes you realize the perfect gear is never going to exist. Just have to settle on something and make the best of it, for the most part. Not immune to GAS, but getting better. Setup is more stable these days.

Current Gear:

Scarlett i/o box, mackie 1202 mixer, mackie monitors, Push 2, axiom 49 mkII, JX-03, TB-03, Minilogue, MS20 mini, Rytm (second), TR-8 (second), Livid DS-1, Sherman/Rodec Restyler, Squier Tele + a couple pedals.

Gear Owned in the Past:

CONTROLLERS

m-audio keystation 49
Korg 37 key
oxygen 8
Novation 37 key
Novation nocturn
axiom 25
apc40
Novation launchpad
Akai mpd16
Ableton Push 1
mpk mini

RECORDING

some old gold m-audio interface?
Saffire LE
Allen & Heath mixer Zed 16
m-audio monitors
Portastudio 424
MOTU ultralite mkIII hybrid
Rane line mixer 1 & 2

GUITAR

sammick guitar
squier strat guitar
yamaha classical
ebow
Strymon blue sky
MXR Dyna Comp
mxr carbon copy
EHX Cathedral
tuner - korg pitchblack
ehx micro pog
Fender Superchamp X2

DRUMS

korg esx1
korg er-1
Machinedrum UW mkII
Vermona DRM1 MKIII
Korg Volca Beats
Jomox Mbase 11
Roland TR-8
Analog Rytm

SYNTHS

TE OP-1 (returned, not working properly)
TE OP-1 (bought new, with crank and antenna)
Novation Bass-station II
Nord Lead 2x - replaced with NL3
Nord Lead 3
Ensoniq ESQ-1
MKS-50
roland PG300
Roland Alpha Juno 2
Korg Volca Bass
Korg Volca Keys
Elektron Analog Four
Roland Juno 106

FX & MISC

Reason 7
alesis quadraverb plus
alesis midiverb II
Boss RE20

2 Likes

Small update: recently added the MAM MB-33 and the Boss RE-20 :grin:

10 Likes

I was originally going for this exact setup. I kinda went overboard with adding other Elektron boxes. I’m waiting for the blofeld to come in. I’ve heard so many people rave about the blofeld. How do you feel about it working in your setup?

My temp setup for the weekend.

6 Likes

Blofeld and the Octatrack are amazing together. The Blofeld is very easy to program, despite menu dives. Parameter locking over MIDI is amazing. The OT and BLO have a very healthy, symbiotic relationship.

1 Like

roland boutique a01. just using it as a keyboard controller for the monomachine mainly.

2 Likes

works beautifully with the monomachine, additional digital goodness.

All I need

20 Likes

I got OT+AR+A4+AH… Thinking about starting modular but is it really necessary?

Up to your budget I guess. It looks like a lot of fun but also a huge money sink and neverending upgrade-itis.

2 Likes

How do you like the MB-33?
I nabbed for for 90 quid or something daft like that, a couple of years ago. For the money, it’s pretty, bloody good, I think.
Me and a mate did the “Pepsi Challenge” with it, a real 303 and a TB-3 and it faired well. It seems slightly too raspy and dirty to my ears but as I said, for the money…