Your first live electronic music gigs...who, when and where

I think I still have their first 7” somewhere…

1 Like

Saw Babyland in Portland around 1992, each member had a giant oil barrel drum kit and soloed with a radial saw on steel pipes to shoot sparks over the audience. Good times.

3 Likes

Does Nine Inch Nails with David Bowie count in 1994? If not, then it wouldn’t have been until maybe the early 2000s with Hybrid or Infected Mushroom.

3 Likes

First vaguely electronic show was Silver Apples in London, '96ish. That weekend changed everything for me! No apologies for this being a bit of a name-droppy story.

I heard about the show the day it was on, and had zero money, so walked 5 miles and stuck my thumb out (for the first time ever) by the motorway on-ramp. A few hours later I was in London, where I traipsed halfway across the city to the venue, and then hung around outside without a ticket. What are you going to do now you fool? An American tapped me on the shoulder, “Hey man, know where I can find some weed?”. Turned out he was the drummer from Neutral Milk Hotel, and he snuck me in around the back. I watched the show standing next to Jarvis Cocker and we chatted music for a bit. Walked back across London the next morning, stuck my thumb out and got a ride back literally to my door with a guy in a brand new Porsche.

After this I truly felt that the world was my lobster, and that somehow the universe rewards those who are brave / ballsy enough to take a chance and put themselves out there. A decade+ of madcap adventures ensued, and long story short I’m now old and cynical :crazy_face:

3 Likes

The Orb, NME stage @ Glastonbury 93, then probably Eat Static at the UFO club on Longleat estate in Wiltshire, then Orbital Glastonbury 94. All before there was even a dance tent - we had to go and find various stalls/ travellers fields to dance all night…

2 Likes

That would have been THE best time to see the Orb. One of my favorite live albums-

4 Likes

As far as I remember it was in 1998 at the age of ten, a concert featuring 99 Posse in my small town in Italy, it was a free concert from them that later on became one of the most interesting trip hop, electronic, jungle band in the underground italian scene. After that I was so impressed of their incredible sound never heard before, I guess this was a milestone that made me into electronic music, as well as early Daft punk.

1 Like

I saw Tricky open for Tool in high school, but wasnt into stuff like that at the time and kick myself these days for not paying more attention to his set. I started deliberately seeing electronic music in my mid 20’s, Daedelus was the first artist I went to see.

3 Likes

Probably Oval opening for Tortoise here in Louisville in 1997 I think. It was a great contrast because it was at this weird old rock club called the Toy Tiger where they’d be having like, banana eating contests in another room for weird regulars, but they did some of the best weirdo shows too…

When they didn’t have AC/DC cover bands like “Hells Bells” playing…

Just loved how focused and unemotive Markus Popp was. For a kid coming up in the weirdo punk rock community, it was really fantastic and important.

3 Likes

Yep, Thrash was still part of The Orb, I have that album somewhere… I still remember the Victor Lewis Smith sample about being “ripped to the tits on drink and drugs”… also an insane strobe light and weird balloons on either side of the stage with crazy projections… however it could have been the green ohms floating around the festival…

1 Like

Orbital Glastonbury 94 one of those seminal gigs :+1:

1 Like

It was amazing, we were about 3/4 of the ways back, some friends had passed a few doves about. I fortunately did not get topless and press my sweat onto others clothing :slight_smile: . There is some footage of Impact live on You Tube - remember that really kicking off!!!

Laurent Garnier first live, at the Olympia (paris) , it was a big thing, presented to the general public as one of the first true techno “concert”. Of course it was a bit wrong but it was a real step for the french underground and “dancing” electronic music (even if Garnier was already known as the “best dj in the world” … the media are never afraid of caricature :slight_smile: )
with a jungle set by Gilb-r at the opening, and laurent garnier in after show at the Rex club, it was a beautiful evening

First electronic show: Some rave in a pasture in Waxahachie, TX. Josh Wink was the most famous person there if I can remember correctly.
First rock show: Tablet
First bigger rock show: The Toadies when Possum Kingdom was riding high.

2 Likes

Jean Michel Jarre; Paris; July 14, 1990…

Patrick.

2 Likes