Your favourite vocal harmonies

Simple thread, list the ones that give you goosebumps!

That chorus… definition of simple & effective

Pretty much anything by AIC, but this especially

Could be the wildest cover song ever

15 Likes

This, which is entirely made of vocal harmonies:

And my (pretty much only) favourite use of Autotune:

8 Likes

First song I thought of:

5 Likes

The queen of harmonies, Julianna Barwick:

3 Likes

Well, you already answered for me. Alice in Chains 100%. There’s nothing like Lane and Jerry.

7 Likes

Don’t really listen to singers much, but the last couple of minutes of Wriggle like a fucking eel has some lovely vocal work.

Not sure I’d call it harmony, but I love what Phurpa do with their gobs.

I think this probably fits the bill better…

4 Likes
3 Likes

The a cappella outro

5 Likes

One moar:

9 Likes

Man that’s spine tingling huh!

1 Like

Absolutely, incredible!!

1 Like

ABBA - take your pick.

6 Likes
3 Likes

and the predecessor, very unorthodox for Elektronauts:

And the sublime:

8 Likes

Lush has some of my favorite harmonies… pretty much this entire track is vocal harmonization:

Ride made some gorgeous harmonies on this record:

Th’ Faith Healers had an amazing off-kilter sense of harmony for both guitar and vocals:

But when I think of unique vocal harmonies of the early Pixies continue to be my all-time fave… Black and Deal were a timeless combination:

8 Likes

@DonovanDwyer Yeah, pixies rock. First time I heard Doolittle I played id about 5-6 times back to back

@davestasiuk Wow, that is fantastic, I like the distressed tone

@Craig Bjork continues to be fantastic if you ask me

@Fin25 Wriggle!

These are all great, all of you, thanks!

3 Likes

For some reason Bon Iver never released this song officially and has only played it live acapella… I really love this song, Justin Vernon doesn’t have a traditionally beautiful voice, but still he’s one of my favorite vocalists of all time.

Though when it comes to harmonies, nobody does it like they do in bluegrass.
Alison kraus with the union station is especially masterful when it comes to harmonies, with “let me touch you for a while” being a prime example of incredible tight harmonies.

The Chicks cover of Fleetwood Mac’s Landslide has some really nice harmonies as well, I especially love the tonal shift going into the chorus.

We had this an an ensemble excercise when I was studying music and we had a freaking terrible time trying to get the harmonies to sit right… incredible song though!

Then of course we have the incredible D’Angelo. We decided to cover this song once when I played in a cover band, we were 4 vocalists ready to take on harmonies and we realized pretty early on that we were in waaaaay over our heads… it’s sounds so effortless but the harmonies are suuuper complex.

Can’t mention harmonies without mentioning Jacob Collier… this performance is something else.

And sometimes the simplest harmonies cobbled with a great melody can hit just as a hard as the most complex stuff if not even more…
as Nina Persson and A Camp so brilliantly showcase here and that fucking Harmonics just sounds so good in this song.

And lastly another great example of simple is also great!

Have fun with my play list :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

5 Likes

Technically speaking this isn’t a vocal harmony because Europeans didn’t think of harmony (chords) until about 1700 so this predates the concept by about 150 years. The composer here was writing melodies which interact with each other (counterpoint). And yet, I guess most of us hear nothing but vocal harmonies here.

1 Like

Trouble Funk getting the whole crowd as the chorus / backing / leading vocalisti,
/ + fog horns! If you like funk and don’t know this… anyway re crowd participation, lots, but for quick ref: end Track 4 Pump Up “ow” “freaky deeky”. (freek ya diik ya!?)). Let’s Get Small :heartbeat: DC GoGo

1 Like

Robert Plant x ?

2 Likes