Your Favorite Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz Hardware FX etc. For Kick Drums

I found that I liked the Analog Drive more than the Heat for my kicks. But I never jelled with the Heat, I found it sounded too muddled. I’ve also really enjoyed using a metalzone, a Roland GP8 and a MXR M75 and a Mackie VLZ Pro 1202.

Now if only the Analog Drive wasn’t so big and ugly.

1 Like

So, here we go. First up is through my Hot Tubes. It doesn’t sound bad, sounds good, but it’s not the best I’ve heard either. would definitly use it in a track though.
I used a kick that I’ve made myself. It have been eq’ed and compressed when I made it, but had to eq it a bit more after the overdrive to get rid of too much low end and mids that got accentuated. Same thing with the other hardware demos. I don’t think that it deffeats the purpose of the demonstration, since it’s not a comparison.
Enjoy.

The first one is the original without the Hot Tubes.

Now that I hear it uploadet the overdriven ones could have a bit more bottom maybe.

1 Like

Drums near the end are plague bearer into a Parker Steiner low pass filter with resonance and envelopes on the frequency.

Similar drums through PB.

1 Like

aarh I thought you could just play it directly when shared haha. How do you make it so instead of a download?

Edit: I figured out.

Also this is a custom Zoia distortion/feedback patch on the drums. I do a bunch of PLocking the feedbacks parameters with the sequencer.

1 Like

…of course the also truu analog multifilter is behind the distortion circuits…
and so is the two band eq on top of that all…
while before all that comes a dedicated drive level…a dedicated wet level…and even a dedicated dry/wet ratio level…all to be lfo automated…if u whish so…

colour and harmonics…hmmmm…i see…er, i hear…or…do i?..really…dunno…what was the question again…?..sorry…mission impossible or mission completed…i forgot…

well well well… speaking of distortion is an endless field…do u really look for a versatile tool that can handle overall kind of audio beyond distortion for real…?

…or is it more for giving guitars some whatever harmonics, brazzing, humming, feedback singing, power chording…o…no…kicks…was it…right?

we’re literatially talking about the holy fukin grail of all sonic malfunction not clean signal modern pop culture iconic whatsoever game changer paradigm switch history repeating and again glue right glue wrong warm enough not cold enough most be done pedals out there since day zero damned thing here…

pretty senseless…end of all days…

1 Like

Bogner Harlow.

Few things as juicy as an AK synthesized kick through that transformer.

delicious.

4 Likes

This Is through the Korg Monotron Delay:

First one is original

3 Likes

…i forgot to mention juicy…another truly important atribute for nice distortion…the mother of all effects ever…u are with no doubt a guy who knows what it means to handle distorted kiks…
at least that needs no discussion…

And the last one for today will be through Memory Boy Deluxe:

First one original

Tommorrow I’ll try through a reel-to-reel and maybe a cassette. I’ll try and stack the different hardware as well

hey, if it clips, it rips!

1 Like

Aira Torcido. Wait, hear me out… no, come back!

Honestly though, it has a lot of range and variety even in its standard configuration. Drive, tone, wet/dry and a “tube warm” (simulation, obvs) amount.

2 Likes

In both examples I really like how the hi hats sounds.

1 Like

If it’s me you’re asking? Then no :slight_smile: I’m not looking for one versatile do it all tool. Usually I like those kind of devices, but when it comes to distortion it really depends on source, taste and mood. I like to change things up and experiment, but it should also sound great to my ears. I still like it to have plenty of controls, that’s why the next one I’ll try will be EHX Overlord. But I’ll definetly try some different ones. I like versatility and need something for different outputs. The Hot Tubes I like better for other drums and sustained noise based sounds.

Aarh, that sounds good. And cool that it’s a Neve preamp. May try one of those.

Edit:
Aarh discontinued and of course hard to get 2nd hand.
But the Wessex also sounds quite good.

…u sound like a truu fuzzy hot tubes distortion fetish…

I don’t know hehe, when I hear actual fuzz pedals I often dislike how they sound. The peaks they make sounds a bit like needles. But on some sources that are more sustained (so not kick drums) they may sometimes sound good. To me the Hot Tubes and Overlord sounds more juicy and thick.The peaks are more pleasing to my ears. But I am kean on trying out some fuzz :wink: Though I don’t really like Hot Tubes on most kick, and I didn’t expect it to before buying it. On some other sounds it sounds great. I need a more regular but still thick and juicy sounding overdrive. Something that rips the sound a bit less haha

You don’t happen to have a demo of this delicious juiciness, do you? :blush:

Dang, that sounds nice! I knew the Monotron Delay could be used for distortion, but never tried with kick drums. Gotta try that tomorrows.

1 Like

For me it is all in experimentation. Rarely does same setup work on different signals. For Stereo I lean on OTO Biscuit, can do subtle with filter and destroy the signal. In mono Frostwave Resonator (MS20 filter) brings a load of dirt. I have a pile of fuzz and dirt pedals which are worth a try. Rats and Harmonic Perculators work well. Mixer feedback loops are also worth a shot, …

2 Likes

Not the AK, but here’s using a pair of Harlows in a 2 buss application.

Can certainly hear what it’s doing to the kick.

3 Likes