Your Favorite Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz Hardware FX etc. For Kick Drums

Aarh yeah the lofi box. Just listened to some demos. It does some nice distortion sounds.

Could you maybe get similar results with the Harley Benton Extreme Metal?
In this demo around 6.34 it sounds pretty good on claps:

VLZ3 is too new. I had a 1402VLZ3 and switched to a CR1604 and was immediately able to get the overdriven sound I’ve heard on records. You want a pre-VLZ preamp Mackie.

2 Likes

I used to have a Mackie 12012 VLZ Pro which sounded surprisingly good when overdriven, but nothing to write home about^^

2 Likes

This is accurate.

It’s a eurorack module!

1 Like

Or MS1202, the little brother of the CR1604 but only 4 mono IN with preamps and 4 line stereo without.

1 Like

Either of those are perfect

Aarh okay cool, thought so that that was the case.

Haha yeah I’ve thought about that so many times. Though I’m not looking for that perfect overdriven sound. I like to have options :wink:

Now, I didn’t create this topic specifically for me but here is a list over some overdrive/distortion pedals that I really like the sound of so far on guitar, just so you know what I’m into in terms of harmonics (I’m aware that the output is sometimes driven hot into an amp):

EHX Hot Tubes (I own one)

EHX Overlord

EHX Platform (more a compressor/limiter)

T-rex Alberta

T-rex Mudhoney

T-rex Diva Drive

JHS Kilt

Keeley D&M drive

TC Electronic MojoMojo

And maybe:

Harley Benton Extreme Metal Distortion

ProCo Fat Rat

And of course I like tape saturation, but already have a couple of machines.
And a nice overdriven amp sounds great too.

But since this thread is not just about my preferences, you guys can of course post whatever effect you prefer :slight_smile:

And I’ll also post some audio examples of the overdriven sounds that I like on kicks from my hardware at some point so other people can get an Idea, because I don’t think there’s enough demos out there.

I used a Bogner Wessex on the DFAM a few months ago with good results.

This post reminded me to finally connect more pedals to my patchbay for immediate all-round action, thanks.

2 Likes

I really enjoy this

4 Likes

Aarh okay cool. The wessex doesn’t sound bad.
You’re welcome. And thanks to you as well. It’s always good to be reminded once in awhile that I have to buy some patchbays at some point to make my life easier :wink:

1 Like

Very cool. Those overdriven sounds reminds me of the Sherman Filterbank.

Edit: Aarh and it actually is a Filterbank. Cool.

Akai MFC-42
Moog MF Drive

:metal::metal:

2 Likes

I really like how the cheap Boss distortion pedals sound on the TR-909 kick particularly. This video is an oldie but goodie of several distortion/overdrive pedals tested on a 909 kick.

Wouldn’t know, I haven’t owned it for like 20 years.

I haven’t tried it specifically on kicks, but I do have an Expandora than can obliterate samples, but it’s been a while since I’ve tried it. I also have a Big Muff, and more interestingly, a Dano Octave Fuzz that you can switch between lower and higher octaves that I’m eager to test out.

1 Like

Please post your results if you want to hehe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: