Your favorite ableton devices, racks, M4L or any other settings you thoroughly enjoy using in ableton

All Fors devices are great. Most parameters work well with Push 2.

1 Like

I like this M4L for using Beatstep as a portable Ableton controller.

2 Likes

This thing was amazing!

Does anyone have any free chord players to recommend? Doesn’t have to be super advanced, anything would be appreciated:)

I’ve not tired this yet but I’m going to get it for Xmas: https://opal.fors.fm/.

Looks amazing, I wish it could be fully controlled from the octatrack, via midi.

edit: I’ve realised that it not only comes with the Sequencer/Devices, but also each device is a provided as a separate m4l device and so wrapping that up with OT is really not that hard… nice use of 5 of the midi tracks. i already use the OT for sequencing Ableton’s drum racks, which works great.

3 Likes

It’s a very very good device ! Super smart UI ( deep yet simple ), very nice sounding modules, original synthesis method, parameter lock for all the parameters, detachable editing window, seperated devices to use directly in drum rack etc …

It only lacks multi out for the main device and some kind of micro-timing …

Clearly for experimental and digital sounding stuff, it’s brillant.

1 Like

s8jfou’s ‘Chorb’ (along with absolutely everything else! Brums, Chants etc) could be worth a try.
Dude made an entire album using only Operator & Echo recently too - wild, and it’s good!

https://www.s8jfou.com/maxmsp

6 Likes

Ive really been enjoying this album!

2 Likes

it looks like @Ess might be adding multiple out, sometime soon. micro-timing would be amazing too.

a few people have mentioned drum-rack for the individual instruments, but it’s not clear to me how this would work. as they are synths they benefit from playing with different midi notes, but if all 4 devices are dropped on a drum-rack, I’m not sure how this would work. (it’s a real pain that it’s difficult to filter by midi-channel in live within a channel itself.) i’m probably missing something.

1 Like

Well the individual devices are percussive synthesizers so they are primary designed to be used as one shot non melodic percussive element inside a drum pattern. So very suitable for a drum rack ( like the DS module built in Ableton ). You just put them in a drum cell a play like a one shot sample. If you want to make a melodic line with it you better put them on a normal midi track and play it like a normal synth, they will react to midi notes inputs. Drum rack is not design for melodic stuff but you can still automate the tuning parameter.

1 Like

Looks amazing! Will check out the album as well. Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

I just grabbed a new m4l device that the maker posted about on Reddit. It’s called Tapes and it emulates (extremely well) old tape machines. There’s 2 devices included, one lets you drop samples into it and then manipulate speed, quality of the playback and then some subtle drive. The second device is used an effect and the onboard transport controls playback, even while transport on the project is going. Start and stop can have adjustable times to get up to speed with the expected slurred pitch as it spins up.

It’s a very useful and cool effect.

The GUI is clean and intuitive and the devices worked right off the bat. I don’t have anything in Live that covers this territory, so this will be handy for all sorts of things.

The cost was €11 and it was worth every penny.

8 Likes

I’m curious if anyone’s used either of these 2 sequencers from Hacktive before - 0-SEQ and M185 SEQUENCER.

They seem to be have a large catalog of devices and these 2 are really interesting looking. The M185 seems like an updated version of the existing M185 seq m4l device which I really love. The Metropolix is one of my favorite sequencers of all time. I need to be thoughtful before spending more $$$ on m4l devices. I’ve gotten quite a few in the last couple of months. These seem pretty worth it though.

Anyone have experience with either?

M-185 - M185 SEQUENCER

0-SEQ - 0-SEQ

I use Devicemeisters Stepic, it can also do lots of random generative stuff + modlanes, when you modulate older vsts that does not have this feature.

It now also has an arp function, where you can transpose the pattern live, it is the best sequencer i have seen, and it has latency compensation build in - its dead on time with vst´s. It has repeat, back and forth, probability, random notes etc - the feature list is long, and its getting developed still.

But does not have Euklid at the moment, i hope they bring that too at some time in the future.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for turning me onto this. I’m amazed that I’ve never seen this. It’s got a lot of features I’ve been trying to find all integrated cleanly into a (not micro-sized) single interface - arpeggiation, midi input, M185-ish note/parameter sequencing. The bundle for both the VST + m4l version is also very reasonably priced and will bring it into Logic, which is a plus for me.

Thanks again!

Cosplay looks interesting

2 Likes

Just get this one. It’s free, and a very nice M-185 style sequencer with cool dynamic randomisation features.

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/3660/atovproject-technocity

1 Like

I’ve got it and it’s a wonderful device for the price, for sure. Stepic is a whole different ballgame of functionality though. It’s very, very well thought out and does everything I could have hoped for in this style of plugin. There’s also a deal if you buy the AU version as well as the m4l version, which is great for me as I use Logic sometimes and there’s nothing like this in Logic’s universe.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

seriously my favorite sequencer, it’s MDD_Snake on steroids with more controls and more CC/param control tracks and with the patterns combined there’s almost no limit for this thing.

1 Like

Well, it seems the gods heard me say Metropolis and decided to keep on giving. Someone just posted a new, free m4l device which is an exact clone of Metropolis sequencer.

Here’s his description of the device:

Autonomia is a clone of the Intellijel Metropolis with a few small enhancements and modifications.

The sequencer includes all of the features of the Metropolis, including all the direction modes (including the “fixed” modes, skips, slides, step division, ratchets, and more. These are the ways in which Autonomia differs from Metropolis:

• Clock is based on Live’s transport, BPM, and time signature
  • Accepts and produces MIDI (obviously)
  • Swing feature replaced with a “loose” feature that I think is more musically useful. Loose uses randomness to add a non-robotic feel to the sequence.
  • Velocity feature that allows the feature to vary the amplitude of the receiving synth
  • Aux modulation ports accept CCs, modulation destinations have been adapted from the Eurorack format to MIDI/M4L format
  • Note transpose parameter (Sending a MIDI note to the device will transpose the sequence, independently of this parameter)

Notes:

• For Slide to work correctly, you must use a synth that accepts high resolution pitch bend and send the Bend Range parameter on Autonomia to match the synth’s pitch bend range. For best results, use the highest value allowed by the synth.

Anyhow, I’ll post the YT demo he linked to and in the description there’s a link to the download on the m4l library.

8 Likes

Link to Autonomia:

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/8887/autonomia

7 Likes