Your Commitment to Releasing Something in 2023

Trying in 2023 to release 2 EPs - maybe 3 - one with each of the three bands I’m in. Also trying to release 2 singles of my solo stuff.

This thread will be where I follow up!

1 Like

I’m getting paid thru my wife’s normal paypal account. Did they change this recently?

1 Like

@silent_k not sure how you feel about AI Generated stuff , but you can get an album cover idea out quickly this way if you’re stuck

@hyperstationjr Bandcamp as worked well for me over the years. That’s what I recommend for releases. Then just promote your stuff here or other areas of social media. Good luck!

2 Likes

Bandcamp works for me. I use it as my archive and release alot of projects, some I would describe as developed sketches. I tend to revisit certain themes and work quickly since time is limited. I don’t obsess like I used to and pretty happy with my output.

5 Likes

I failed all my musical goals for 2022. I have a single basically ready, but I’m not gonna release it today just to make the cut :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So, 2023: A january single, and two EPs for the year. That’s the minimum.

1 Like

I’m in.

Have the sketch/drafts together for at least a couple of LPs and have ‘just for fun’ goals beyond that.

All the best with your individual goals everyone.

2 Likes

So I will release a full album hopefully in January, but it doesn’t count because it was due to 2022 in the first place.
Then, my commitment for 2023 will be an Ep ( four tracks I think ) , and starting to setup a live set .

1 Like

Nice, would be interested in more detail about the service . (Price ?)

The free account distributes your music all over the place and only takes 10% of any money that comes in.

Also! I don’t know if it interests you, but you can release it under a commercial copyright or creative commons copyright- which is neat to me

1 Like

Didn’t deliver last year’s commitment of doing a live performance. Same goal for this year though.

2 Likes

Sorry, I have no idea. Only signed up yesterday.

1 Like

Good, I’m in and will commit to a new album for the second half of 2023 and a decent video for one of the new tracks. Happy and creatively fulfilling new year, everyone!

4 Likes

I would love to get something worthy of release on 4am Breaks or Vill4in this year. Hell, even Vapor Memory would be nice.

1 Like

I am committed to releasing a killer dis track this year.

4 Likes

I need to just release more stuff to clear out the catalog and move on. I will commit to one full length album and a bunch of single tracks. Maybe I’ll squeeze out a second group of songs in the process.

Incoming text wall, not intending to be annoying…

I am struggling. I used to play guitar and be very into that hobby.

I learned a bit of guitar specific theory some very basic music theory, some patterns for playing up and down the neck, and a lot of cool chord shapes. I used to enjoy playing and learning.

Along the way I injured my fretting hand shoulder very badly at work (former Army Communications Line technician).

I struggled to play pain free, and increase my skill at the instrument. Mostly ended up playing things I already know, and just trying to play them comfortably.

After a few years, I came to terms that I just am not going to be the same. I sold everything.

Now I have a Digitone, Rytm, Matriarch, Dfam, M32, SubH and a digital piano. Started taking piano lessons, and it’s helped put some chords under my fingertips, but I still struggle to make music/interesting progressions.

I really want to make music, and release something, but I feel lost. At times I feel like I’ve learned a lot, and still feel like I don’t know how to do anything.

I find the 3 semi-modular Moogs to be most rewarding, but they kinda play music at me and I adjust. Where other instruments the music needs to come out of me. I have a lot of free time, but not sure where to direct it. I end up unable to commit to anything because I’m unsure where to start.

I think I’ll end it there. I would be open to any advice or suggestions.

Sorry if this post doesn’t belong in this thread. I’ll delete it/move it if need be.

Happy New Year :partying_face:

15 Likes

Be kinder to yourself.

We beat on ourselves harder than we beat on any drum.

14 Likes

Got an EP in the works which I’m committing to. I have two other EPs of sketched out songs. Would be nice to finish too but not pressuring myself that much. There are other priorities in life.

I’m also contemplating splitting my music output into 4 separate identities… is this madness?

Just a few ideas:

Don’t be too hard on yourself - just try refraining from setting hard targets in any level more than making time to spend with your machines.

Tech/workflow wise I would suggest trying to lower any thresholds for recording whatever you come up with - in my case that meant using Octatrack as a recorder/mangler/arranger for all music coming out of the other machines but whatever cuts the corners for you should be considered, I feel.

Most importantly, don’t beat yourself up if results don’t come right away. Just keep at it and results will come, I’ve experienced the same.

Best of luck, friend - hoping for a great 2023 for you!

2 Likes

Maybe this is the way forward, just see your time with the instruments as a time to “play” and be inspired and led by them, keep record pressed and i can guarantee that anything you get down on tape whilst absorbed in that moment will sound fresh on listening back, enjoy the process and don’t get sidetracked by your inner critique! All this is easier said than done though, I suffer from the same thoughts sometimes!

All the best for 2023

oh, and I will be releasing something…gulp…

1 Like