You can have 1 FX box only, what would it be?

Ok so my current setup is Dark Trinity and OB-6 with OT or Ableton (depending on ITB or DAW mood) sending master clock via iConnectMidi4+…

I have a dilemma. I want more FX to play with and have been looking at choices from Vermona (filter reverb), Analog Heat, Sherman etc etc… but am stuck. What should I buy if I can only buy one? What would you buy and how would you use it?

For background this is my setup:

All gear outputs going into Apollo UAD inputs. From there sending the OB-6 into A4 Ext 1/2. Also sending A4 and AR back into OT A/B and C/D and using Thru machines.

This is the most flexible way to set up, so that I can jam on the OT with all the gear together or just make music on one machine at a time with the others switched off…

*the other option would be to just buy UAD plugins but thats a little boring…

Don’t know which type effect is most important to you but if your on the budget it’s probably a difficult choice.

Modern way :
For now i would say iPAD is something interesting regarding your iConnectMidi4+… or with a dedicated audio card so you can make a FX Aux send/return

DJ Way :
Pioneer Rmx 500, Pioneer Rmx 1000, Korg Kaosspad 3+

Guitarist way :
Eventide H9 (But only 1FX at a time), BOSS GT-100, ME-80

All of that more or less usable in LIVE or STUDIO configuration
( i didn’t speak of Rack 19" and Eurorack module or 500 but there’s things too on second hand market )

I see you have a nice mix of gear. Have you thought about a workstation? Something like a Kronos? It has loads of FX, and in addition you get another 9 synths to broaden out your sounds from your analog gear.

Nord Micro Modular with my custom stereo multiband distortion / compressor

1 Like

If I had no fx already and could only buy one box right now it would be chase bliss tonal recall. Insane delay pedal. Not a very practical choice possibly (and I think it’s mono from memory?) but it looks very cool from what I’ve seen…

Interesting choices so far.

@William_WiLD I actually own an M 80 multi effects processor but wondering where in the chain to add it? I have a Gibson Les Paul I play but have never thought of using what is traditionally a guitar pedal for my synths…

@TokyoDisco one of my close friends has a Kronos and it looks incredible… But we have a baby on the way and I need something compact. Also because I’m not a keyboard player, the OB-6 will prob be the only keyboard I keep

@Callofthevoid wow… this little box looks ridiculously cool. I love delays…

Tell me guys, where in the chain should I use it? Master outs? All the boxes I own have their own delays… Master Out?

Thanks again!

2 Likes

AUX IN (mini-jack stereo) > Processed > Stereo Out
So YES you can

When people put Distortion pedal, delay pedal and reverb pedal on TB-303 that’s exactly the same :slight_smile: That’s just the Foot pedal not very ergonomic on desk that’s all

Do a FX BUS with a send return on your Apollo or on the OT if you have empty ins-out

Don’t you have a mixer?

1 Like

or a mixer yes.

@William_WiLD awesome… am gonna try it - have completely disregarded as only used with my guitar…

@bassmaster no unfort I dont… thats the other thing. atm i am using my Apollo Quad for mixing duties because of the multiple in/outs… I suppose would be much easier with a proper little mixer?

Probably the same kind of procedure on the QUAD :

Thanks a lot dude, will check it out. I’ve been debating on whether or not to just buy a half decent mixer to have more control on muting channels and routing… I absolutely hate using software based mixing using audio interface cards. :sob:

Come on Nikarga do yourself a favour, buy a mixer, it will give you so much more flexibility.

2 Likes

Dammit OK!!! Which one do I get? They have started to get crazy sophisticated… If I decide to get one, I’d want to it be pretty darn flexible… Allen Heath? I am using all my ins outs on the Apollo so I guess would need at least 8in 8 out…

Sell the Apollo and get a QuPac?

We’ll help you out :wink:

@Nikarga if you have the money, Qu-Pac seems to receive much praise.
Cool thing : you’d be able to plug all the separate outs of the AR !! Rather cool for assigning separate FX…

• direct recording of the separate tracks to hard drive is pretty cool !
  • onboard FX and several of aux send

You might look for some info in this thread :

1 Like

Guys you are right… fuck it. I will get a proper mixer. But what about my Apollo Quad… I’m worried that the AD/DA converters will be nowhere near as good as on the Apollo? It is an amazing interface…

@xidnpnlss @LyingDalai I have heard a lot about this mixer… I will read the thread you mention…

But does that make my Apollo redundant? (fyi I dont really use much of UAD plugins except the stuff that comes standard with Apollo… Also I have the full suite of Waves…)

Oh then just drop the Apollo. I doubt the converters are SO different that it wouldn’t justify keeping it for the amount of flexibility you’ll get.

In addition get your self a H9 max and hook it up so that every channel could feasibly access it.