Yes quantize 50%

when i hit func+bank i get to track trig edit.
in the manual it says that if you continue hitting yes up to 6 times you can increase the quantization. When i so this i don’t see the value 50% change. Is that correct or should i see that value change?

Think of it as applying consecutive 50% quantization until you’re on the grid

1 Like

is there a way to always be at 100% or am i misunderstanding this function.

If you want to record unquantized but quantize afterwards, the quickest way is to go to track trig edit and hammer YES six times. You don’t need to wait for the message to disappear when doing this.

If you want to have live recording quantized by default, go to project menu and enable SYSTEM/PERSONALIZE/QUANTIZE LIVE REC

6 Likes

…and swing default is always 50% and equals no swing at all…

1 Like

There’s no easy undo for this, right?

One way I know to deal with this is, after doing the live recording, first save the project before you attempt to quantize. Then if the quantize didn’t turn out to be an improvement, reload the project.

But since saving and reloading the project stops everything and takes a bit of time, this doesn’t feel like a nice workflow.

The other option is to copy/duplicate the pattern first, and then attempt to quantize. I guess this makes for a smoother workflow, but it still feels cumbersome.

If only Elektron would add the ability to copy from or paste to any pattern in the current bank (or any pattern in the entire project even, but current bank would be the most useful) instead of only being able to paste to the current pattern it would improve so many little things, and this is one of them. Imagine:

Copy the current pattern, paste it to a different pattern as the current one continues playing. Quantize. If you don’t like it, you could copy the unquantized version from the location where you pasted it earlier and then paste it into the current pattern location, all without stopping playback.

You can already kind of do a basic version of this by copying the pattern, then quantizing, then pasting it if you want to undo the quantize, but it’s a lot less flexible that way.

3 Likes

Maybe i misunderstand your message but i think you can do that by also copy the part:?
So copy first the pattern, than go back, copy the part. Or did you know that?

No need to imagine, you can do this!

• hold PTN and hold the Trig for the Pattern you want to copy
  • with those still held, hold FUNC and tap REC to copy
  • release all except PTN
  • continue to hold PTN and now hold the Trig for the destination Pattern
  • with those still held, hold FUNC and tap STOP to paste

It’s like Twister for your fingers.

[UPDATE 2023-10-11]: apparently this doesn’t work how I remembered. My OT’s in storage so I can’t confirm/update at the moment.

1 Like

Are you saying it is possible to paste to a pattern that is not currently active? Because this would be very helpful and to my knowledge is not documented anywhere.

Yeah, that’s what I was talking about and if there’s an undocumented way to copy from one pattern location to another pattern location while a third pattern is playing (i.e., while pattern 1 is playing you could copy pattern 16 to pattern location 2 without interrupting playback of pattern 1) that would be big news. It would enable theworkflow I (and a lot of other people) prefer for improvising on step sequencers: Edit a pattern, then copy that pattern to a new location WITHOUT SWITCHING PATTERNS OR INTERRUPTING PLAYBACK, then switch to the new location and continue editing, so that you can start from a blank pattern and end up with a bunch of patterns that are all variations on each other, seamlessly in a live setting.

I’ve never seen any mention of a way to do that before. I’ll have to try this after breakfast!

1 Like

I was talking about being able to copy any arbitrary pattern to any other pattern location independent of what pattern is currently playing.

Doesn’t work, unfortunately. As soon as you tap REC to copy, the pattern you’re trying to copy becomes active instantly.

Strange. I was sure I’d got it working that was in the past. My Octatrack’s been in its box all year so I’d have to dig it out to re-learn the combo.

Sorry for wasting your time.

No it’s OK, maybe it depends on the firmware revision or maybe there’s something I’m missing.

Yeah, unfortunately this is not possible.
I wish Elektron would homogenize the workflow across OT, A4 and AR.

The OT needs:

• Copy/Paste Pattern while sequencer is active (including non active pattern)
  • Fill/Latch be the same as it is on the AR and A4

Unfortunately all of the above “issues” have been documented and requested by myself and others but no changes to date. I don’t think we are going to see it happen.
Prove me wrong Elektron !!! :slight_smile:

The fill differences are because the page button has extended uses on the ot. It is used when trig mode is slice, slots and delay control to swap banks and it’s used in chromatic mode as an extra key. So to specifically tell the ot you’re applying fill they added the key combo.

I do agree tho that the copy and paste operations would benefit from being normalized across the devices.

The page button does multiple things on all machines depending on what “mode” you are in.
When you are in the standard mode (i.e. not track slice, not delay freeze, not grid mode, not keyboard) the page button doesn’t do anything.
But, I do see your point, if you are performing and using one of the alt modes, it would be cumbersome to switch back to that mode to fill.
I personally would prefer having to deal with that while getting “page” alone to trigger fill (like the rest) as I find it cumbersome to need two hands to initiate an “instant/momentary” fill, but to each their own.
The best solution I guess would be to make it a system pref setting.

It would also be nice if they made Latch fill the same combo instead of "up and page’ or “down and page”… I honestly can’t remember which on it is.