Yamaha SEQTRAK

Really? Oh come on.

There are enough examples for cheap looking/ cheap feeling abusable Hardware, and for luxurious builds that you would be afraid off to scratch.

But feeling cheap AND not being abuse proof, for a price? That’s a joke.

1 Like

Wild that people would pay 200 or 300 euros more for the same product but made of metal. I bet they could make it for the same price and still make a profit, why offer to pay more? insane.

1 Like

personally I’m not saying I’m happy to be ripped off. but if hypothetically the real world cost to manufacture something + tight margins meant that quality materials would equal a higher price, I’d be happy to pay. (product / company / price depending)

1 Like

Single destination only.

I have not delved deeply in yet so can’t answer the other 2, yet.

I think on the sound/capabilities side most will be happy, it is just a shame about the build quality.

On the build - I think if it had a steel baseplate it would have a bit more rigidity and heft, the encoders seem fine, the switches on the side and the keyboard keys are a let down.

Just as a comparison the Donner B1 is better construction.

2 Likes

Maybe 10 euro, not 200 or 300 euro……

Guts.

15 Likes

I think £349 is overpriced

1 Like

Looks like I was right. You can disassemble the case in 3 parts.
I’m thinking of buying 2, and make a dark gray + orange combo :)))

I did that with the Electribe 2. I wanted a gray sampler :)) so I switched logic boards.

5 Likes

That’s a great idea!

Do you think the battery could be replaced with a larger capacity?

In theory it could work, if you find a bigger one at the same size. Space seems pretty small in there.
And also, depends how the battery board is programmed. If it knows it has X MAh… and you put a bigger one, if might get confused.

I would get one of those slim USB c batteries and velcro it to the back.
That’s how I run most of my gear. Useful as a stand too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t think of anything else with this much functionality at this price.

The price comparable competitors are Cycles, Samples and Circuit Tracks and Rhythm.
All do a lot less (though have more robust build it seems)

I suppose when you jump up in price to the £450 mark you get the MKI Play, Tracker and the MC-101 and SP-404 which are all very well made and quite feature packed.

3 Likes

Nope, 1-2 for good build AND less limitations on the software side/some more features?
Yeah.

Just a metal case? Nope. And it’s not even metal. Playability seeing how the buttons on the side are meh, longevity if the case is more robust. Keep the Plastik, but don’t have 3 wobbly pieces on top. Give it an aluminium base plate for rigidity.

Effectively: make it a mature product that keeps its value and reaches beginners as well as more serious producers/musicians on the go.

For just way better build quality I could see 100, but that does not just mean “metal instead of plastic”, I’ve seen my fare share of bad aluminium notebooks…

That’s a lot of PCP and not a lot op battery. No wonder it’s only 3-4 h.
Crap that the connector for the battery seems to be under the first PCB there. But at least it seems easily replaceable.

Thoughts on the speaker? Good enough for occasional use, possibly with other synths, etc, connected too?

G

Barely, I mentioned it upthread, but basically a little better than a Volca speaker. Very poor bass even for a small speaker considering how other small speakers can sound.

2 Likes

Cheap build quality was the last thing i was expecting from yamaha, and the only thing that kept me a tad intressted if it wasnt that bad, but no go then.

The black look kinda retro-ugly but ok but the white-orange really look horrid to me :scream:

Also, to buy stuff only to return them doesnt seem like sustainable thinking to me, just sayin :smirk:

5 Likes

I know but I’m not lucky enough to have Guitar Centers & such around me :slight_smile:
You mean financially or environmentally?

Also, there are high chances I keep it. I was just saying I have a safety net just in case.

The key question are you keeping it?

1 Like

Oh, you can edit chords on the device itself. DOPE

1 Like