Yamaha SEQTRAK

That’s potentially good news. At least that leans in the direction that standalone chromatic sample play might be possible.

Has there been any mention of polyphony count for the DX synth?

Found the update release notes

V1.00 to V.1.10

New Features

• Step input mode for synth tracks
  • Pattern copy and paste
  • Step copy and paste
  • Temporary project save
  • 8th triplet option for Substep
  • Changing the probability of triggering a step
  • Deleting patterns for each sampler sound
  • Deleting a specific parameter lock of a step
  • Expansion of the octave range
  • Scene mode (manually selecting a scene of Song)
  • Launch quantization adjustment during playback

Fixed Problems

• Endless shutdown process due to headphones plugging and unplugging repeatedly
  • System hang when connecting certain USB-MIDI devices
  • System hang upon rapid tempo increase
  • Unstable Wi-Fi connection
  • Other minor problems

*You can check the SEQTRAK User Guide for more detailed specifications.

10 Likes

Icing.

:heart_eyes:

Can the master effect, and / or effect sends be applied to the line in?

Disappointing that the build quality and speaker are a bit sketchy I have the FGDP-50 which is a similar size and price and that was rock solid with a fairly decent speaker.

Fun, the android one is half the size

Maaan…people say “finished product”, but with those patch notes, and so many inconveniences it feels more like an early access product.
What’s shocking me is that it needs 2.5A. 12,5W, no wonder it eats the battery in <4h. Seems they did not try to reduce the impact of their sound engines, and since they where initially developed for less portable devices that its not efficient.
Speaker I expected to be wack, maybe deluge and opt are fine, but I haven’t till now found a usable speaker in such a gadget.
Bummer that the modulation options for the synths is so limited. 1 lfo is one of my biggest gripes with the model cycles.

8 voices.

Not had a chance to try yet, will look once it has charged.

Sorry., I misspoke it needs 1.5A charger.
Modulation limitation was WRT AWM2 synth parts, not delved into the FM yet but think that has way more options.

1 Like

Allowing user samples into the AWM2 engine would be a game changer INDEED :crazy_face:, but in my memory, Yamaha has always been very protective of their AWM2 rompler engine branding…it seems like “Sampling” is always presented as a separate feature and process. This is looking across RS7000, Motif, etc, as you I’m sure remember. But hey, I still agree it would be huge if that happened.

EDIT: Hey @darenager I just added more to this in case your were composing a reply

1 Like

I mean it is just about ok for checking which project you are in, but would not want to use it for composing, in contrast to Deluge and to a lesser extent OP-Z which can be used for composing in a pinch.

We can but hope, but yeah you are probably right.

Okay, 1.5 sound more reasonable. My small Powerbank should work as well.

Yeas I knew that it’s the awm2 sounds. Maybe I’ll be happy even with limited modulation.

Yeah, ok for checking what project is about as useless as it gets, since what for, either I have phones and can check that way, or I don’t, then it’s pointless if its not good for composing.

And it’s shocking seeing what phones can do with tiny speakers.

Thx for all the info.
Btw, how’s the keyboard?

1 Like

@darenager thank you for answering these questions, and glad you seem to be enjoying it so far! My GAS for this thing is minimized now.

1 Like

Just ok, bit plasticky TBH.

3 Likes

My Seqtrak arrived today and it’s already in the process of being exchanged. One of the keys is noticeably less sensitive and not every push is registered. Where other keys can be pressed in the middle or at the edge, this one key won’t react to an edge press. It can be depressed without any effect and sometimes it works. The other keys respond to a press. The keys are plasticky and clicky.

Disappointing to have a faulty Seqtrak from new but hopefully I’m just unlucky and it’s not a sign of a wider problem. Replacement won’t be for several days as there were no replacement Seqtraks immediately available :frowning:

1 Like

To bad to hear, but also kinda something I expect… I had not a single flawless piece of gear (grinding pot there, visual marks here…) But rarely enough to exchange. But every product launch I have followed hab a ton of QC issues, I think it’s just bad luck and echo chambers in most cases with Some outlyer products. Let’s hope your replacement is fine.

I would love for some size comparisons. Next to a model cycles, volca, phone, iPad…
(Nut just top, but side for thickness)

1 Like

I just tested it, yes it works, I tried all 3 strips and had distortion, vinyl stop, beat repeat all affecting line in.

Edit: USB audio too.

12 Likes

I wonder if you could load a sample in slot 1, trim it to one slice. Then copy it to slot 2, trim it further… u know. Manual chop:)
Since they share the same filter and stuff…

1 Like

That might be a possibility, and a smart workaround :slight_smile:

The manual says you can copy and paste patterns but it doesn’t say anything about copying samples. However, I’m sure your idea would work by reloading the same sample and trimming instead of copying it.

Yeah. But the duplicate workflow is a bit faster. You duplicate and move the start and end incrementally.

1 Like

Sounds good. What about zero crossings though?