Yamaha Motif as external MIDI sequencer

Recently I remembered the ES8 I had once upon a time. I really enjoyed the keybed and sequencer, but it was bulky and I had decided to do everything in Reason which I did for a number of years. I want to get an ES6 to possibly replace my Pyramid as a main controller + external MIDI sequencer. Reasons:

• Composing off-computer is important to me now. Quick startup, no updates no notifications no apps.
  • My brain seems to compose linearly. I just want to be able to hit record and add some more stuff to my song. Pyramid doesn’t really let you do that, at least not without some setup. Also navigating with multiple tracks going can get hairy.
  • I’m tired of my MPK261’s crappy aftertouch, and the pads, faders and knobs go unused. I read that the ES6 and ES7 were the last keyboards made by Yamaha to use the same keybed found in the DX7, which I adore for its action and wiiiiide aftertouch range. On the MPK, it feels like aftertouch can be either at zero or full intensity, no in-between.
  • Having all the onboard sounds can’t hurt. Might replace my Korg NS5R. It’d be nice to be able to sit down and fire up a quality piano or EP.

I was just seeing if anybody else uses a Motif as their main controller / sequencer or has tried it.

Also I haven’t yet found any information on control change sequencing on the Motif. I assume it can do it, I’m just wondering how the workflow is. (And it’s definitely not a deal-breaker.)

(And yes I’m still also getting an analog polysynth. I’m pretty much set on getting a PRO-800 sometime.)

My friend had a motif6 which he did not like because it was fiddly and hard to navigate on the small screen, after that he ended up with a fantom x6 and I never saw him use the motif again, but I think the es6 is newer and his was probably an mo6? Not sure, it was over a decade ago, maybe the interface is better now. Distinctly remember it being at the center of a lot of complaints though.

Yeah the MO series is a cut down Motif, cheaper keybed small screen. As I said I owned the ES. I found the UI intuitive. Just trying to see how sequencing external instruments with it has gone for people.

Had a Motif XF7 for over a decade and it is an absolute joy to use both as a sound source as well as a master keyboard. Sequencer is really good and much better than the (comparatively) crappy external sequencers available today.

If you want to control external equipment, you just use Master Mode, really easy.
Of course this statement comes after a loooong time of using workstation keyboards so “really easy” might mean something else to other people.

1 Like

How is it for recording and arranging stems?

Quite straightforward. The sampling functionality is capable of doing the common stuff (one-shots, slicing, basic corrections), but can also be used to multisample straight into the instrument.

You can use this simple guide from Yamaha for the Motif XS to get an overview of what can be sampled, where and how:

1 Like

Thanks. Is XS/XF much better in this regard over the ES series? I am focusing on that because I read it has the same keybed as the DX7, which I love for its wide aftertouch. Is the keybed on the XS/XF6 comparable?

I would say that the XS/XF is significantly better than the ES in terms of sampling, by virtue of having a larger display to see what you are doing. The ES is not horrible to use either, of course (also if you’re getting one make sure it has the PLG boards you want installed since they are getting harder to find).

I quite liked the keybed on my XF7, but it’s been too long since I’ve played either an ES or a DX7 so I can’t really compare.

1 Like

I was thinking about getting the FM card! Do the XS/XF not support those?

No. ES only. Very expensive on eBay, but it is a true DX7.

Also for the ES, I don’t know if this is true for the XS/XF series:
: Loop-Remix
This Job lets you automatically cut the sample into separate “slices” and randomly rearrange the slices for special effects and unusual rhythmic variations. A variety of audio transform operations are also included for even greater changes in the sound.

USB 1 on the ES is a pain for saving/loading big samples.
Download the Motif ES manual and scan the word “random” :wink:

Some love for the ES

as a user of a yamaha a4000 and s80 (and former power user of SY77).

i’ve always wanted to have Motif (or ES). the idea of the sequencer really appeals to me.

j

0=0