Yall ever heard of the OmniChord?

Damn! $30 dollars? Now I feel like a fool for even thinking of paying 2 or 3. I’ll look into the kordbot now. And no, there’s no way I would spend 5-6 on it as of now. Hopefully the new one will be reasonably priced. Thanks for the info tho. I really can’t believe they went from 30-600+.

1 Like

They were like, thrift store finds, nobody cared about them. Even just a few years ago they were really inexpensive. I’m sure there were ones selling for a couple hundred bucks in excellent condition but yeah, it was not as popular or desirable as now. There’s a market for them.

I mean even the monomachine a few years ago you could buy for $500, but right now its 2000+

However you have to read the negative stuff about kordbot too, ricky tinez hates it for example.

2 Likes

That’s a shame. Seems like it could have helped out with the theory journey as well. This kordbot actually looks kinda cool to me. Maybe not as hands on, but that’s really fine. I just need something to push me along when I get stuck noodling around with the notes for chords and working within scales and keys sometimes.

I love the idea of stuff like this but really don’t like the idea of shelling out hundreds for something that isn’t totally necessary.

1 Like

The Suzuki QChord is on sale at the moment.

A lot of people find issue with the Kordbot quality.

There are others similar.

1 Like

Nothing will really replace knowing the chords, but sometimes being able to hear the chords in the key and scales that you’re working in is inspirational. That’s that push I think you’re talking about. You don’t have a syntakt right? Just digitone and heat?

2 Likes

Suzuki is also reissuing the Omnichord.

2 Likes

Ok cool. And more reasonably priced. I like the layout better on these. Seems more organized and much more playable. Let me check that out

You happen to have any personal experience with anything like this? If so, did it help you with theory and keyboard playing in general?

5 Likes

That’s not the turning point but I’m sure that revelation didn’t hurt.

1 Like

Damn. I actually saw this video before and didn’t put together that it was the omni. Lol

2 Likes

I think that even if you have to just print out the scale and chords and then learn the inversions, by deliberately writing in a key, you can really up your game. The advanced chords (it’s not like I know every chord and every inversion) but knowing that western chord theory is based on adding intervals of like 7th 11th 13th etc onto major and minor triads, or substitution in the triads, just counting note positions on your fingers you can get it done.

There are even things online where if you figure out a chord you like but you don’t know the scale or key it belongs to, you can enter in the notes and it will give you the chord name, so you can reverse engineer something based on what you hear in your head. It’s not the ideal way to do it, but having a 61 key keyboard and just messing around with printouts helped me, because transitioning from guitar to keyboard (the piano method of composing songs I guess you could say) took a bit of trial and error for me.

5 Likes

Of course, most people’s opinion is that there is no substitute for music theory, and they’ll be glad to tell you that.

1 Like

I have a Theoryboard, but i am a good keyboard player, who understands music well and can read sheet music. But the TB, is useful for me to improve my regular keyboard playing.

Another to look at is the Instachord. My post on it. The nice thing to me about that, is it presents the chord choices in the numbered form, so playing I, V, IV, I is always the same regardless of key. So things like ii, V, I or other chord progression, or chords in minor is a lot easier.

The Instachord is only available bought from Japan, at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks bro. That’s the type of information I really need. Just a clear direction to take. Sometimes all this information can be a little overwhelming. For real tho. That sort of info saves a lot of trouble for me.

1 Like

Honestly, I know we had the conversation about how you have trouble sitting down in front of something and learning it, but if you have time to buy a real paper book about basic chords and scales it’s a lot easier to learn from a book (in my experience) than from a phone screen. But I’m old, so maybe that’s just me.

The basics of theory like learning the circle of fifths and perfect fourths will make it a lot easier to work going forwards in your learning.

4 Likes

About to go thru that post too. Looks pretty neat

Any book in particular?

this guy is working on a omnichord inspired controller that looks pretty cool.

there is also this project

2 Likes

basic shit. hal leonard. go to the store and look at what you can actually get into, having someone recommend a $40 paperback that ends up on your shelf won’t do any good, you have to find what will work for you or you could even take a couple lessons. Some people learn better that way, I’m a self learner. Autodidactic. It’s easier for me to teach myself, but the way I do it isn’t really suitable for everyone, so I don’t assume what works for me is right for everyone.

3 Likes