XOR Electronics - Nerdseq

Since there is no topic for it, I’ll feel free to start one.

My first actual question is:
Whats your opinion on it as a live performance sequencer? Especially for live techno, where quick random sequences in a given range is a must as well as preprogrammed but easy to variate lines(cv, gate).
Also I’d like to record,loop and manipulate sequences in real time. Is this possible?

Thanks for some answers in advance!
nix

Granted I was never a super user of Nerdseq. I found it great for structured pre programmed songs… not good at all for live looping and such…

It is possible to program on the spot, you can very easily make Euclidean patterns with it and you can modulate certain pattern settings in the modulation page (can’t remember which exactly though) but I would generally say it’s not very improv friendly, it takes some setting up.

1 Like

aha thanks for the nice info! which modular sequencer is in your opinion best for live improvisation?

Honestly I’ve abandoned eurorack sequencers, cause most are often stupidly esoteric… i use a midi to Cv module and a OP-Z…

I use the OP-Z because it’s the one I’m most comfortable with… so I use a midi sequencer as the main cv and gate input, but then I use modules like Grids, tides, marbles etc. to alter the signals… so even if you use a Normie sequencer there’s still lots of ways to have fun with the signal once it’s in the system…

So if you use a sequencer which can sequence midi data and you feel comfortable with I would go that route…

2 Likes

MIDI -> CV/Gate is fine in most cases, but there’s a lot to be said for native modular/CV/gate sequencers. MIDI -> CV/Gate just isn’t as accurate, which can be important in specific situations.

Personally I dig the NerdSeq a lot. It can also sequence MIDI gear no problem, lot’s of CV and gates out (especially with the expanders) - not to mention CV ins which can be routed to just about anything (example: use CV to control MIDI gear, like CC etc). Very powerful.

How much you dig its interface will depend on how much you like trackers. I think triggering patterns etc. is pretty good for live jamming. Behaves pretty close to Abletons session view.

2 Likes

and how do you like the live record on the XOR? is it possible to use it as a live jam sequencer?

Nerdseq is a beast. It’s deep as hell.

I would not say that it is the easiest one for fast looping duties.
Midi recording looping works fine. But you really have to understand that Nerdseq is step sequencing based, so there’s some limit there.

For live use/interaction, the sequencing through a computer keyboard and the use of external grid (launchpad) is quite efficient.
But still, there’s a lot of menu diving, travelling in the matrix etc. I guess that Nerdseq is more a deep sequencing tool. For structured sequencing it’s really extremely powerful.

I do sequence everything live from the Nerdseq. I’m super happy with it.

For very efficient live sequencing, maybe also take a look at the endorphin ground control ? It is very live looping friendly.

1 Like

I had one for a while. I really think it’s the best thing out there in eurorack for people who want to write music entirely in eurorack. I’m more interested in improvisation as well, so it got replaced with Rene, which is a little more suited to random exploration.

If I had more time, and a bigger case with a lot more modules, I’d like to have one again.

3 Likes

I took a couple of days off work this week to focus on music. I hadn’t touched the Nerdseq in ages and dusted it off to try sequencing some midi gear for the first time (Prophet 12, DM12, Pro2, Hydra). It was a blast and I have a new found love for it. It helps to have template projects pre configured for the type of tracks you are working on.
What I found really inspiring are the new(?) playback types. Really easy to setup “fugue machine” sequences where the same pattern is played on all tracks with different playback modes and transposition etc. I really need to read the latest manual as I was getting very interesting results from some of the more esoteric playback modes but had absolutely no idea what they were doing.
Easily my favorite of the several modular sequencers I have at the moment.

2 Likes

It’s great for MIDI sequencing! Really fun to use the CV ins and automaters to modulate MIDI gear from CV.

1 Like

For me the big + on the nerdsed is, that you can change patterns per track.
Thats huge for live imo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure if you’ve seen this video or not, but he uses the Nerseq to sequence all the melodic parts in a live context, and it looks pretty simple. It’s basically keeping your groups of patterns separated by a line in the arranger section and manually switching to the next when you want to transition.

1 Like

this is mega cool!
but it seems to be tricky to jam with it… and this is the most important “must have” for my live setup.

yes this thing is dope with the separated clip launching.
but I don’t see him playing live… he is launching preprogrammed clips.
Since I’m confident with my mechanical skills (piano, drums, etc…) I need something that is recording in real time AND launching separate clips. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Then I’d go for some kind of keyboard (keystep has cv outs afaik).

for quick drum programming in eurorack, i love the erica drum seq.

Nice update…

2 Likes

I got one of these a while back, and only just started digging into it properly. It’s such an awesome sequencer. It’s genuinely changed the way I use my modular - or at least - provided a powerful, bespoke hub to actually create songs with structure, as opposed to just… jams. I love it.

2 Likes