Xone PX5 - Most underrated mixer? (review & tutorial)

I just bought mine PX5, Octatrack and Lyra8. I need help setting up. Lol. cables here and there and everywhere. What did I get myself into? can’t wait to get it all running. I couldn’t afford 96. Too much power and things I didn’t need too. Thank you in advance. This is gonna be a good loooooong weekend.

1 Like

I think Dave sold a lot of people the PX5 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I love it so far!

Using it for both timecode + real vinyl dj sets and live sets with my TR-8S, MC-707, Typhon and Doctor A :slight_smile: and will experiment some more doing hybrid vinyl/gear sets :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wakey wakey zombie thread.

does the px5 have the latching cue like the 96?

1 Like

Yeap :+1:

Any reason you stopped using your px5 for the 96?
You seemed pretty happy with it originally.

I got is as a lone from xone so I had to return it.
I do like it very much though. But the db4 suits better to what I do live.

The xone 96 on the other hand is for a different type op live setup. And here I need 2 send returns so here the 96 has the upper hand. You can use headphone out as another send but in this case I like to play with the send volume.

Honestly all three are great in their own way. Just have to figure out what you need and choose accordingly.

I figured it would have been the sends for you :wink:
That or it’s slightly easier to put on a rider
(although both the px5 and the 96 get you that same eye roll that basically says ‘can’t you just use the 92 already there? Jeeez’)

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Haha yeah 96 is easier to put on a rider indeed. 92 is also fine. 96 is just superior :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Does anyone know if the K2 can send its audio to PX5 over xlink?
…or, would I need to use the K2 phono outs into one of the 5 inputs on the PX5?

for context I’m thinking of connecting the Xone K2 to iPad via USB.

XLink does not transfer audio. It only supplies power and transfers MIDI data. So, you’d connect USB to iPad and audio outs from K2 into PX5.

2 Likes

Thanks! I suspected that might be the case.

1 Like

Know if there’s a spec sheet for what pins do what on the xlink?

I just pulled that info from the K2 manual. If XLink is like Pioneer’s Link then it’s likely just an ethernet connection between devices…

In fact, just last weekend, I saw a setup with 2x CDJ3000s and an A9 mixer and they were all connected through an ethernet switch. I believe those devices run Linux. A&H could be doing something similar.

Yeah, and I know the x1800 is just a standard built in switch.
I’m pretty sure A&H is different. I’m sure I can start testing and sniffing packets, but I was just asking if you knew of a spec sheet cause I’m lazy I just want to double check my work. :upside_down_face:

Hi,
I’m in the fence between the AH PX5 and X1850 mixers. Could someone, by experience, let me know if the PX5 detects and correctly send via 5Pin MIDI the BPM from an analog technics SL1200 MK2 vinyl setup, in order to integrate with an hardware setup (ex. OT, DT, DN, TR-8s) ?
I know that the X1850 received a firmware upgrade to be able to send the bar start point out via midi 5 pin, but I’m not able to get detailed information about the PX5.

1 Like

Hey @cp4700 - I have the PX5 but no turntables, I just use it with hardware (DT/TR8s) and iPad. BPM detection works really well in my experience, but it doesn’t detect bar start point. PX5 can send transport start/stop along with BPM via 5 pin midi, so It should be able to do what you ask, but you’ll have to start the transport manually by pressing play button on PX5. Also, I’m not aware of any firmware updates on the PX5 itself, mine is on V1.01 that came already installed on the unit. Hope that helps.

[EDIT] Looks like you can also nudge on the PX5, I’ve never needed to use that myself though.

1 Like

The PX5 can do this, yes. I just put it away yesterday but I can check again. I don’t recall it being super tight but I think that’s just the way things are for this type of setup. I tried the same thing in my partner’s Pioneer mixer and it was the same thing; clock is stable but not overly so

To clarify, the BPM detection is solid but it doesn’t send SPP etc. The mixer CAN be the master clock but then you’re not using BPM detection. My best hybrid attempts worked when I tap tempo’ed to sync up a mix. A bit more like proper DJing except there’s no way to nudge your hardware.

1 Like

Had the PX5 for a while, beat detection wasn’t very useful for me as I play a lot of old vinyl where the tempo fluctuates somewhat and wanted to sync synths and drum computers to it. It’s a great mixer and BPM sync probably works well if you use it for FX and/or if your records are all tight 4/4 beats. But it frustrated me so I ended with a Teenage Engineering TX-6 which has better beat tracking. It’s expensive though but it doubles as a useful mixer and interface for my synths.

1 Like

The idea is to have mainly a regular 4/4 beat going in continuous mix (with normal fluctuations from pitch adjustment in a dj set) from the Technics decks, having the PX5 listening to it and sending the clock via midi 5 pin to sync external gear.
I was not aware the the TX-6 is able to listen BPM, but I think it is a mixer not performance oriented. Thank you all for the feedback.

1 Like

The TX-6 even has a DJ mode (where you use it horizontal and one of the faders becomes a crossfader). But it’s absurdly tiny, and of course lacks phono preamps. However you could hook it up with a pair TP-7 decks for a €4000 gnome-sized DJ setup.