Xone 96 Mixer

Ofcourse you can, on the mixer, there is a knob to select the input, (USB1/USB2/RCA/Phono) or you can select i/o in Abelton preferences for example. 12 in 12 out. You have to split this 12 between with the USB selector though.

I personally think that i can only control so much at any one time, that limiting factor isnt the amount of channels you have, its the amount of hands you have, and the ergonomics. If the synth is too far away on the desk its hardly used.

correct me if i’m wrong but wouldn’t it still transmit the tracks regardless of what you’ve enabled in a DAW or which route you’re monitoring on the mixer itself?

I did not test it, but i think when the channel is disabled in the DAW, it does not transmit /recieve signals.

I was referring to multiple I/O. In my case, I tried to run 6 outs, 4 from Traktor, and then 2 send/return fx chains from Ableton. I had to set my buffer large enough for it to be fine.

This was on a fairly beefy Windows computer, which has no issue doing the same on my usual interface. But it might be a driver issue with Windows/ASIO, I expert performance in CoreAudio to be better (as usual).

Hey again folks, so I am picking up this mixer tomorrow in Vancouver which is a 1.5hr drive away from Whistler where I live. I am planning on using my Roland Space Echo as one of the sends and have a question about the cables I need please - I know the left input needs to be a TS cable to turn on the power as I found that out the hard way, but I want to run it in stereo so was wondering if I can use TRS cables for the right in and then for the left/right out? Or should all of these cables be TS? Thanks in advance - I searched on line and could not find a definitive answer.

1 Like

This is great news for me - I will also be attaching a bunch of inputs and using the 96 as my main soundcard via usb.

Just got total life envy mate , Whistler , new xone mixer and a space echo. Enjoy!

1 Like

Ha thanks, I teach highschool maths and physics here. Moved here to snowboard in 1999 and haven’t really left this bubble too much.

1 Like

and it’s the space echo pedal not the real tape unit😉

1 Like

I am thinking about adding a room correction DSP system into the insert send, the result would be that the USB recorder of 11/12 would record with that DSP? I.e. if i want to avoid that, i would have to add the DSP just after the output ?

Something like the miniDSP Dirac device, or similar.

I actually thought about a 4 in 5 out system. (2x for monitor, 1x sub, 2x rest of the room.)

Does this mini DSP allow seperate measurement , loading two different profiles at the same time?

The master insert fx loop is not recorded via USB. See above.

1 Like

Yeh this is correct. For some weird reason A&H designed it this way. You would have to use the record out etc to capture this master insert.

A work around is to feed record out into channel 1-4 and record that in your daw etc :wink:

So its just another gain stage, even better, i dont want the dsp to be recorded, it should only do room correction.

Should be fine then.

I wish they had a button to toggle master usb record between pre/post master insert.

1 Like

Same here. Though i don t even own one. Yet.

1 Like

So I had a test drive on my friend s xone96. Using cue 1 out as a 3rd fx send works as expected. Great!

I kept return D cue d permanently to prevent a feedback loop happening when all channels get un-cue d. Sacrificing return D channel for that would work in my setup.

But i ran into another inconvenience: when one or more channels are cue d - which is always the case in this scenario - the master volume meters switch to showing the cue signal instead of the master. So i d never see my mix s output volume metering.

I guess i could learn to work that, but it s not ideal.

I looked hard for a way around this but couldn t find it. Anyone see something i didn t? Using cue 2 for this has the limitation of only being able to send 1 channel at a time.

Besides this the mixer feels and sounds awesome. So much more inspiring than the Mackie i m using now.

Which mixer do you use? I’m curious about this setup.

I’m steering my production to be more ‘live’ compatible and was considering this option.

Yeh I dont like the cue/master meter toggle, just give me option for “always master”. I use a pioneer rmx fx unit on master insert and use the pioneers meter to monitor my master. Generally i’m always cueing.

So that makes 2 questionable design choices: master USB send before insert, and forced cue metering.

This is the set up I have in mind:

Circuit Mono Station > Ch1
AR > Ch2
MD > Ch3
AH > Ch4
Space > Return A
H9 > Rtn B

Send 1 > Space
Send 2 > H9
Cue 1 (or 2) > AH

Maybe I could actually work with cue 2 for sending to AH and only send one channel at a time, given the filters on the mixer itself.

Yes my only 2 gripes with it .Although I have workarounds for both them now. Everything else about mixer is superb.