Would there be interest in some MD science lab?

Yo @elektrobot7

i dig your recommendations for a science…specially since im triing really long to get polyrhythm out of my MD…(remember my post with the poly with MD+MnM?)
still couldnt get my head around that :stuck_out_tongue: and could use some science help :smiley:

and we could also pick some things out of the well put together tips and tricks and next level stuff from Saint Tarekith and Saint Catabolic…there is some juicy ideas in there imho…that could work for some science too…or just as a basis…i dont know…
i humbly collected some things i found interesting in the old E.-U. forum that are not mentioned in thiese collections…its not a lot…and still collecting,and once i feel its worth sharing i will def post it here…

Gee,this Labs is really going to be something…
makes me happy just by thinking at it during work (in a metal factory…)
im sure it will take everyones skills to a next level(including me,big time),and help exploring parts of MD we would normally not explore…im really looking forward for this!!
happiness is a warm MD :wink: (not a warm gun as the Beatles used to sing…)

2 Likes

Shortly after the migration from the old board, I participated in an MD science lab and it really opened some great new areas to explore. The only requirement was, only use two steps. I highly recommend giving that one a go again.

Other lab ideas:

1. parallel processing/ something like four tracks for sounds routed out C and D as you like and back in to the inputs, 8 tracks for the inputs, and the last four for control or global effect machines

2. Best 8 sample kit: create a drum kit consisting of 8 one-shot samples recorded from using the md as a sound source, use up to all 16 tracks per sound, no layering/chopping after recording or post processing other than normalization.

3. Best pad: create an evolving texture, no external samples, synth engines and resampling only

5 Likes

Sorry for disappearing…

Folks…
lets decide first on a structure that we work on-or?
i mean give this science lab a shape,and than fill it up with ideas…
everyone gave ideas on labs,or sad they are in(what i appreciate too-keep it up :slight_smile: ),but no opinions about the ideas i had for the structure…
So…tell me,Ladies and Gents…
how about 1 Lab a month?is it too long-too short?
how about my idea about the system that we vote for a winner and He/She decides the next Lab rules…or gives the samples to use for the UW user group Lab :wink:
btw would it be a good idea to make 2 labs?one sample based fun and one for non UW users?
im not saying it should be like this…its just an idea.
what do you think about the things i mentioned?have other ideas?please share!
Please help me Nauts,who are interested in this!
Cheers!
Have a Great one All!

what is that, a MD science Lab?

Good afternoon all . . .
Structurally, I think a non UW project, as mentioned, is likely to attract more attention due to its relevance to all Machinedrum owners; I myself am not a UW owner either.

Timewise, I’m up for a monthly project. I’m lucky enough to have quite a bit of spare time and relish the challenge of stretching my knowledge, skills and Machinedrum further. However, I appreciate that others have more pressing commitments, so the time frame may need more consideration.

As for the challenges: I think launch the first one, evaluate the level of participation and make any necessary changes for the following rounds?

3 Likes

Hi yes i vote for a Science Lab non UW open to all the MachineDrumNauts and for a SL monthly. i suggest just run one at the time not two in parallel. and for the character of the SL more than a competition i see this more as his name states a Laboratory for MD. we are not talking about a simple living device……

1 Like

what’s a fucking MD science Lab bro?

:smile:

maybe a place for competition to get to the top of the food chain. jajaja nah some Experimental

1 Like

still down to do this. sorry for the lack of response but i just moved and started a new job. settling in and looking forward to this if it kicks off.

1 Like

Im down! Had fun doing the one on the old forum before it shut down!

1 Like

MD science lab suggestion 1: two minute track, using just GND-Sin machines as sound source, 1 kit/1 pattern (2 for mki users), CTR machines allowed, all in the box (no external processing), can be a song or live jam

any other limitations/criteria needed?

cyanescens if you’re happy to helm this i think that there should be soundcloud playlists hosted to keep relevant lab submissions together for listening/voting on winner etc.

3 Likes

i didnt mean to make a competition out of this…
there is no competition in this science labs,and no real winner…if one wins,we all win :wink:
its science and not a pissing contest…its not to find a winner,its to find the dude who will make the next lab rules…:slight_smile:
so the monthly lab suggestion is good with most ppl…lets try this first and reshape(this and all the rest) if needed as @apmbpm suggested…
@waftlord im all down with this lab suggestion,
so soundcloud it is…good idea!
any other limitation ideas, or should we start off as @waftlord suggested?

7 Likes

So are we off and running on this then?

Do we have to synchronize watches or countdown from 100 and then charge off towards the challenge?
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay- I’m seeing this post and I want to see something start rolling with the users of my favorite drum machine.

Here’s a challenge I heard about a while ago. Make a track only using two steps of a single pattern. Below is a demonstration(I forget the user who shared this with me)

2 Likes

yes now we have something to craft th SL and synchronize @apmbpm, @MDMnM bro lets play, if you have more suggestions or restrictions. just my opinion but I’m ready and agree with everybody.

i just have some questions to the group here or @waftlord or @cyanescens

1. using just GND-SN machine? or all the GND group (GND SN, GND NS, GND IM)
  2. all in the box? use of FX Master allowed (RE, REV, EQ, DYN)
  3. how many tracks can we upload via sound cloud?

i think once we have this ok and we agree with the points or rules lets make a big invitation to al the MD elektronauts. maybe creating another SL thread to start.

1. I like the scientific challenge of using just 1 GND

2. Of course

3. Just your best one?

1. just one of the group its ok

Yeah would create a interesting palette of experiments.

I’m sticking with the sine wave crew. But will end up making something with noise and impulses now