Would an octatrack be overkill?

I’m pretty competent with a guitar and I own 1 electric guitar that I bought 20 years ago. This has really stuck in my craw lately and I’m thinking of starting a collection. Given my budget, a fender player or a squier is the first stop. I want about 20 by the time I’m dead.

To OP: The OT can never be overkill. But you might find that you don’t gel with it, as I did. But a used mk I is always worth a punt.

1 Like

Considering how easy it was to convince myself to get a second one, I wouldn’t be surprised. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

If you use a scene every minute and you repeat the same scene 4 times you got 1 hour of madness!
Sometimes, especially for techno, I use 1 pattern of 16 steps and changing step live.

None of the machine from the past are master at something, they’re actually really primitive if you compare them with modern gear.
I think because of the limited technology they could actually just make one “function” per machine and that’s why the MPC was a big success when it came out.
Back in the day people dreamed of a box that can do everything but they had different box for different reason, where today everyone got the “box” that does everything=DAW and we fill the studio space with products that appeal to us.
It’s not anymore a necessity it’s a personal preference.

The truth is that you can’t get more out of your Moog Minitaur because it’s limited, it doesn’t mean it does it right.
I think often we get carried away with what’s authentic when in reality without the people playing those machine and make crazy stuff with it we wouldn’t even talk about “Moog sound”.
Think about a tb 303, it’s legendary because it fails badly when it came out and later on the underground scene use it because it could afford it…and the rest it’s history.
Is it really the 303 that great? And I love the 303!

What’s great today is that I can buy a box, an OT for example ;), and use it completely different than others.
I think a lot of boxes are awesome at different “role” and it’s up to you to use few or all from the same box.
Another great things is that I don’t really need all of these machines so I can make music on one box and still got great stuff from it…and I have a lot of stuff!

3 Likes

what’s your experience with the Heat ? thx

how are you using two octatracks together ? Curios … thx

I don’t own one but I tried few times.
I think where it really excel is on the master bus for the final details.
The EQ is really basic but it’s good analog stuff, it give so much to everything!
The distorsion circuit set on Saturation/Enhancement with a touch of wet give you that good analog saturation.
And the Filter are really good for the usual filter automation with the plus to be analog.

Of course it’s Elektron and it can go bonkers and in an OT+DT+DN set up you can have all the analog stuff you might miss. Of course sampling in the OT, do OT stuff and later on use as a master fx.

Edit: I realise I said “analog” so much lol I don’t like analog :smiley:

1 Like

Will have to disappoint you: I rarely use them together. And I’m by no means an advanced user. Like really, I use it as an advanced (sample) looper about 50% of the time. I respect everyone who’s spent the time to learn every minute detail of the OT, like I respect anyone who’s proficient on any instrument but I vehemently think you don’t have to be like that to make meaningful music on an instrument. Just like you only need three chords (and a good ear/sense for rhythm and melody) to make a good pop/rock/punk song, you don’t need to know every trick the OT has to offer to make music with it.

Thing is, I got an OT (a second hand hand mk2) in June 2019 after getting into synths about two months prior. I’m not quite sure why but right from the start - actually I had no prior experience of samplers - I wanted to build my setup around the OT, but as I have my setup in a small office/studio space (not a pro studio by any stretch) about 5 minutes from home, it quickly became tedious to disconnect all the inputs and outputs every time I wanted to take the OT home with me for an evening jam.

So, since I only had time to go to my studio three times a week two hours at a time, I didn’t really get anywhere with learning the OT. And it was supposed to be the brain of my setup! Late last year, affordable mk1s started to show up regularly on a Finnish music forum, so I decided that since I was committed to the OT as the brain of my setup, I need to learn it properly. Bought a minty mk1 and really started spending time with the thing. Fast forward 12 months and 90% of my music/jams are built around the OT.

At first I thought I might sell one of the two at some point but I still have A LOT to learn with it and the mk1 kinda serves as a sketch pad at home. And I truly think there’s not another electronic instrument out there that is as bang for buck as my 600€ OT mk1. So it won’t be going anywhere.

4 Likes

in my opinion, the only alternative to the Octatrack is the Roland MC-707 certainly newer, but if I had to choose the Octatrack would always have the better

2 Likes

I like you more and more ever post I read. :smiley:

2 Likes

It seems from what I read that this and an OT would be pretty darn good together.

1 Like

Yes, its overkill.
That is also a good opportunity for you to stop making boring machine music and start making real music without synths and samplers.

1 Like

This might not be the forum for you

4 Likes

In the morning I thought its funny, not so sure anymore, altough still think it has some interesting aspect to question modern stuff.
Reading your philosophies about ot is the most interesting thing to read on this forum but also in general to be honest for me.
Apart from some in depth reports in my favourite newspaper sometimes.

I would like to try if i would feel the magic of ot or not. Couldnt find out what i would do with it apart from sequencing, but i dont have a structured music space and am afraid of loud samples in headphones ( and am lazy in general)
I somehow lost contact to the world of samples, liked audiomulch granular in the past, now sometimes a few unstructured minutes in bitwig sampler or reaktor.

OT is probably the best looking electronic music centerpiece ( ok, there is cirklon, polyend seq), thats also something…

1 Like

bro, I have a history of playing the keys in dozens of bands, also toured with George McCrae :wink: … so I think I have been excused to be boring keyboardist in a band by now… Let me play with electronic things , synths and samplers for the rest of my musical life :slight_smile:

2 Likes

what was funny ? which philosphie ? I am curious :wink:

I have looked into this and researched on youtube, but the sound doesn’t really appeal to me tbh.
but thx for pointing out

Got nothing but mad respect for you!! you will be my example whenever I get stucked with the OT.
your struggle is very inspirational.

regards,

1 Like

I am actually thinking of a TB-03 :slight_smile: not that expensive for a boutique classic

Sorry I made a spontaneous joke in the morning in the train when I remembered overkill ( the classic thrash band ) and posting that electronic music is boring in electronic music forum.

Just reading what nauts are doing with and thinking about the complex ot is fascinating.

I love both classic thrash and death metal ( that singer not so much …) and synths.

5 Likes

Found it funny, but boring song!
Ohohoho start is sooo ridiculous :smile:.
Btw I really like the power of certain death metal sounds, especially palm mutes, but usually I can’t stand their solos or way of singing. :content:

I planned to record death metal chord with OT!

4 Likes