Would an octatrack be overkill?

Hi all Elektronauts!

I am the proud owner of a DT+DN which is a great combo !!
But I am still on the fence for an OT and I just want to use it for mixing, sample mangling, pattern changes, scenes, cross fading, doing crazy things with DT+DN + internal effects and all other things that are unique for the OT.
But would that be an overkill ? as the OT is as expensive as the DT+DN together.

are there other alternatives that can do the crazy things that OT can do ?
or is the OT just unique in these sort of things ?

I have researched and looked at Pyrimad, Polyend, MX-1, Deluge, MPC, but not even these combined can do what the OT can do concerning the things I mentioned above for live performance.

EDIT: I have been researching the Maschine+ this morning (the standalone version of the mk3) and it seems that there a lot of possibilities of using Scenes and lock states. You can save up to 64 lockstates during a performance where you can fall back to etcā€¦
Did anyone know this thing and tell me if the Maschine+ can do some of the unique things that the OT can do ? (or maybe even better?)

thanks !

No.

I have 11 guitars, no overkill.

15 Likes

This is correct. There are simply no standalone alternatives to an OT when it comes to (live) sample mangling with scenes and all that stuff.

The only alternative I can think of would be a PC+controller(s) setup, but also then you would need to invest quite some time to customize the software setup to mimick the feature list of the OT.

5 Likes

As already mentioned by the Octa-Power users above, there is nothing out there that has so much functionality. That is why it is still selling after 8 years and only a facelift. Get a good 2nd hand one to reduce cost.

1 Like

If youā€™re fine with Octatrack mk1, it is the most crazily cost effective powerhouse. There was one in mint condition for sale on a Finnish forum two weeks ago for 520 euros. Almost bought it, but then again I donā€™t need three Octatracks.

3 Likes

thx all for replies. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes I guess it inevitable to buy the OT if I really want to use it for my purpose.

itā€™s just too unique

Not overkill at all.
DT as a drum machine.
DN on synth duties
OT doing what OT does best.

(Thats what I would do anyway)

Power set up for sure. Literaly would not need any other gear ever with that lot.

4 Likes

exactly the setup I have in mind :upside_down_face:
there is just no other combination that can do this without the OT.

ā€¦yesā€¦overkillā€¦

but worth it anywayā€¦

and it really starts getting out of hand AFTER three elektronboxesā€¦

so u still got one shot freeā€¦ :wink:

but donā€™t dare to show up here with stupid questions, and u gonna have some for sure once using it, before u haveā€™nt read the manual twice, took it under ur pillow at least for two weeks plus a another good read of merlins guideā€¦

c u thenā€¦

2 Likes

haha I know the OT is whole different ball game than DT&DN. So I anticipate on that.
what I noticed on forums is that you shouldnā€™t approach the OT on how it works, but instead how to make the OT works for you.
weā€™ll see, first have to buy it.

thx

OT is overkill, in a similar way to the AK :joy:

7 Likes

An interesting thing about the OT, is that most people who sell them used, use them for about a week (recently I saw one on CL where the person had only used it for a couple hours) and give up. Sometimes people buy them and then put them in a case, or box somewhere and use it for a bit, then give upā€¦back in the box. So, a used one is usually mintā€¦

5 Likes

Itā€™s definitely an interesting prospect. Iā€™d think the OT would breathe some life into the DN & DT: they can be static in some ways - straight up pattern changes, little in the way of ā€˜performanceā€™ macros. It definitely sounds like a nice combo. Just give yourself time with it. Feeding the OT the DN or the DT just by themselves would be enough - material for days. And then once things are inside the OT unplug it all and mess around with the samples you have.

File management is a bit more Elektron old school on the OT, youā€™ll get lost or be confused every once in a while, but donā€™t let that discourage you. Be methodical about your projects. And the concepts you have for each particular project. A notepad isnā€™t even a bad idea. Name your stuff well on the OT and donā€™t forget to save.

Good luck!

1 Like

If it havenā€™t been smacked!

(Footprints!)

5 Likes

exactly my point, the DT&DN are incredible machines, but a bit static.
I see the OT as the thumbling rabbit hole where normal things get crazy !

I donā€™t find them that static, especially with Probability, trig conditions on lock trigs.
Set some sounds, tweak in live rec, including rdm lfo dest, decrease Probā€¦
I really like tem for random / genrative stuff.

Random pad on DN, 1 bar, 2 tracks. I donā€™t find it static.

More lfos for OT, but the most powerfull is the crossfader / scenes thing. Up to 250 parameters morphing with min / max !

10 Likes

thx for sharing, awesome track !! yes I see what you mean, and I might be on 70% in what I can get out of the DT&DN and maybe I should get to 100% to know if I need an OT or not.

thanks for your insight,

1 Like

I donā€™t have the DT, but the DN. The DN is FM synthesis ā€¦ if you wiggle even a wee amount on one of the many FM related parameters, or the FX, this thing as everything but static :wink:

1 Like

Curious: Does the OT really fill all the gaps:
I have a DT and DN as well (DN recently; not getting an OT any time soon but itā€™s something that will eventually happen)

The main thing I would want to solve is mixing/recording/song mode. Since I do those things in Ableton now.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t solve ā€œrecordingā€, because it cannot stream audio to the CF card (you are limited by RAM) nor does it provide simultaneous outputs for all tracks (only 2 stereo outs or 4 mono).

Mixing: well, it works as a kind of submixer (4 mono or 2 stereo inputs) and one stereo send (cue out). Sufficient for small setups.

3 Likes