Working in arrangement view with Ableton and Elektron gear

I’ve figured out how to have elektron gear play nice with no delay before changing patterns in arrangement view and be able to start at the correct position and have visually lined up clips

First I made all the clips all 1 bar long notes in a 8 bar loop for each pattern of A4, AR and Digitone and Digitakt using channel 16 to change patterns using the overbridge Plugins and placed the notes on the corresponding note for the correct pattern (c-2 = pattern A1 etc)

If you place them in arrangement view you will get a delay before changing patterns because it has to be instructed to change before the bar to make it change at the next bar, it’s just how it works it.

So I shifted all the clips 2 bars to the left to get it to change on the bar I want…
note that all my patterns on the elektrons are set to a change length of 64 in advanced mode

Now I needed to be able start the clip at the correct time on the bar in ableton
With the rest of the project without having to start it early to get the correct pattern.
So I simply duplicated the pattern launch clips and shifted them to the correct place

I’ve grouped the offset clips and called it continuous
Then grouped the correctly placed clips and called it instant.

Now you can close the offset clips and forget about them and it just works
Everything starts correctly

Now just create the patterns on the elektrons as you go along.
I’ve put markers for each pattern 8 bars apart for each pattern and labeled the marker

If you want to re organise the patterns You would have to move both the offset and the instant launch clips but I would rather just work along and alter patterns on the elektrons

You could do this in one clip without the offset (continuous) launch clips but if you need to loop an 8 bar section you can turn off the continuous clips to stop it changing

Hope this helps a few people integrate ableton as there a lot of topics about ableton and pattern change and it confused the hell out of me trying to work in arrangement view.

You can put quantise to none on the clips and change manually and this works for session view but this is for working in arrangement view

I’ve made a default template for ableton and on the Elektrons For myself so don’t have to do it again

5 Likes

Maybe just post your tip right here in the topic you made?

3 Likes

Elektronaut click bait lol

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

It sure was! :sweat_smile:

Nice one for updating, I’m moving house today so will take a look later.

1 Like