Workflow/ setup

Finally bit the bullet and got a mk2. (@CarlMikaelBjork this is mostly your fault) I have owned a MachineDrum UW+ for about 10 years and over time settled in to a very specific workflow, That lets me just set down and start building tracks, but it took a while to get here, with a bunch of experimentation.

I know workflows are pretty setup dependent, but I am interested in hearing from the folks who have been using the OTfor a very long time. For the folks how like to just sit down and create, what is your setup like? Or in general do people just reconfigure based on their goals for a session? The OT feels really deep right now and I would love for some of the experts to drop some knowledge.

Do you have a specific setup/workflow that you always start with?
What was the path to this setup? Strength/ Weaknesses?
When you do change your workflow what are the reasons?

After digging deep all weekend I ended up creating a couple of tracks with the modular feeding into audio track 1-4 (mono inputs A-D) and using 5-8 to sample and tweak from the incoming Signals. I am driving the MD directly, and using a MI Yarns to spit out CV & gate for the modular from OT midi tracks.

1 Like

Welcome !

Workflow is very personal with OT. After 3.5 year I still don’t have one !
Still experimenting and learning, no defined setup. I have MDUW+ and A4 too.

Many threads about workflow with OT :
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=workflow%20%23elektron-gear%20octatrack

2 Likes

Thanks! I am more interested in how people who have a consistent set up came to that setup and why. Its less the specifics of it (which is cool) and more the things that have caused them to nail down there workflow in a specific way to support how they like to work.

Most of the search results are oriented around folks who want to replicate some existing workflow with the OT. Since everyone’s setup and goals are different I think a discussion around “why do you did you do this this way”? might be interesting.

Hearing that you have had yours for over 3 years and haven’t landed on a specific repeatable setup is also very interesting.

3 Likes

My current workflow is saved as a template.
Trk 1-4 is a Thru and Neighbors all for the RYTM
Trk 5&6 is a Thru and Neighbor for the A4.
7 is for samples
8 is a master
FX have been decided for each slot and stay the same across projects
Scenes 1-4 and 13-16 are always the same across all projects

I use the OT as an FX box for the other 2 devices, and use the midi tracks to control a variety of other things.
I decided to lock in to this workflow to learn the OT in this particular way, and get used to it (muscle memory etc), and simply writing a bunch of tracks without worrying about changing everything for every project.
Before I decided to do this I had experimented with just the OT for about a month.
I decided I was going to try and stick to one part per bank, I didn’t need pick up machines, or much live sampling at all.
I’ve refined this over the years, and currently it’s really dialed in, I know it like the back of my hand, and I have made a bunch of tracks. So it’s done exactly what I had intended.

When I want to try some different technique with the OT, I just experiment with a new project.
Some of those new experiments become new templates that I go back too.
For example I have a template project that incorporates the MegaBreakOfDOOM technique, another one thats all pick up machines, another one that makes the OT like a drum machine, etc.

5 Likes

I don’t need a workflow yet because I’ve no enough time to make music seriously, no planned live show, and no place to plug setup !

Octatrack would be master clock for recording reasons.
I like to compose in my bed / couch so I want a small mobile stand with OT and the place for another Elektron above, or other gear.
Adding tracks recording guitars, synths, voices.
Recording mix in OT, export with a laptop.

A desktop with a computer and other gear plugged, with paired gear.

3 Likes

Sorry about this. :heart_eyes:

I workflow-less. I find that varying setups is what nurture my creative juices.

7 Likes

Oh this is nice, and very similar to my initial thinking about my own setup. The muscle memory thing is where I am with the MD (and where I am in my dayjob with things like Photoshop and Visual Studio).

Thank you!

1 Like

I workflow-less. I find that varying setups is what nurture my creative juices.

Yeah that is what I assumed after watching you for a while.

1 Like

are you really sorry? i’ve seen your vids. i don’t think you regret it one bit lol :sunglasses: i have an OT2 incoming myself

1 Like

My Octatrack setup is probably rather unusual. I use it live in a band with a Prophet 08.

• Tracks 1-4 are used for samples, whether sequenced or played by hand using the trigs as a keyboard.

• Track 5 is a Thru machine for the left-hand of the Prophet, which is mostly bass sounds. I tend to apply some EQ and compression in the OT.

• Track 6 is a Thru for the right-hand of the Prophet, which goes via a kill-switch from Bright Onion pedals and an El Capistan. Track 7 is Neighbour machine for more effects.

• Track 8 is a custom click track for my drummer, which is different for each song, and is routed out of the headphone output.

• The Prophet occasionally gets sequenced over midi by the OT as well.

4 Likes

I don’t really have a fixed workflow other than keeping the OT plugged in at all times so I can just fire it up and get going. Most of the time I bang a guitar into it and run a pickup machine as a looper then sample, resample, and effect it ‘til it sounds nothing like the original guitar!

My goal is to run an entirely screenless setup; I’ve got Logic Pro but really don’t feel inspired by it as an instrument or composition tool.

1 Like

I do not have it for that long, but I have a workflow for producing tech house and dub techno.

I use one bank for a track. I start with pattern 11 and set up a main pattern first.

Track 1 is base drum plus off-beat percussion with sample locks. Track 2 is snare and FX, 3 hats. 4 bass.

Track 5 is chord stabs, track 6 and 7 either arps or ambience. Track 8 is master.

After finishing one pattern loop, I copy and modify tracks such that I get a matrix of patterns:

Patterns 1-4 only drums, 1 lowest, 4 highest complexity in drum rytms.

Pattern 5-8 same drum loops as 1 to 4, but with melodic and chord stuff. I may replace the original samples by sample locking or create break like variations here.

Pattern 9 to 12 all variations of start pattern 11, with 9 usually having all drums muted.

Pattern 13 to 16 wild variations of 9 to 16 with lots of automations recorded. This stuff is used to create energy for the track ending.

This leaves me with a „matrix“ of patterns that can be played to create a full track without having to remember details. The idea of setting the OT like this came from a reader in this forum.

In addition, I set up the fader to alter their „mirror“ pattern… fader scene 9 plays nice with pattern 9 etc.

The setup is basically using the OT as a groove box, which may not bring it to its fullest potential, but I recommend it for starting out.

7 Likes

Elektrons have some saving-project possibility: So you can save differents project for studio/ modular live/ sampling and ressampling to feed OT/

as on the MD you had differents possibilities to organise for differents results and creation.
The interesting thing will be to save and name projects to 1 create samples
2 Cue, send thoses samples to fx 3 ressample those samples … 4 Arrange your songs :slight_smile:

If not workflow is in my opinion better based on arranger, with loops and else.

Just about connection with DAW. Midi out, re-sample synced with intern track will have latency (which is impressively annoying)/

4 5 6 7 8

1 Like

Coming up on 6 years with the OT. I started out very open-ended, but have gradually solidified an approach where bank 1-4 are used for part, track and trig presets. In each preset bank, pattern 1-4 each have their own part assigned. That way, calling preset one is just tapping BANK-1-1. I think of it as that inverted preset octave on a B3. 4 banks x 4 parts x 8 tracks means 128 track presets, but with custom (FX) routing templates, a couple of (b)loopers, a 4-input tracking setup, a mastering suite etc, I’m down to just over 80 “instrument” tracks. Each preset pattern is a set of reasonable starting points. Percussive tracks and other sounds using a lot of p-locks contain a good variety of sounds as individual trigs, so I can just copy, re-arrange and get moving/grooving.

I use the remaining 12 banks (5-16) to structure songs/pieces.

I never start a new project. I just load up my template and “save as new”.

One of the few annoyances I have is I sometimes have to copy custom LFOs manually. Also, internal settings for the recorders get messed up if the track numbers differ (ie a track #1 recording from itself will record from another track if copied to a track #2 position). And I wish there was a way to monitor/preview individual trigs!

I’ve toyed with the idea of releasing a series of sound/sample suites following this structure. Maybe one day…

Side note: since tempo is not saved, I always switch non-preset banks by hitting up the arranger and keeping a row for each bank.

6 Likes

…first thing with a new gadget always…get some differnent common ground blank projects for the different needs to always get started right away…
at least one studio and one live set up basic project is a big help and end of the day gives u a lot less brain muscle hickups…

but congrats to the “worst” brain muscle music machine in elektrons product line up…and no, being familiar with the machine drum won’t help u that much in first place when dealing with the ot, i’m afraid…
have fun, anyway…and enjoy the sonic safari waiting there for u…

2 Likes

I know this is an old post but found this very useful, great idea with the prophet split. Thanks!

I’m so pleased you said that :):smile:

I’vebeen usign it in a completely different way recently, since I started using Ninjam in Reaper for real-time online collaboration.

I’ve got a small Eurorack case set up specifically for processing live input (there’s one oscillator in there but I only use it as a modulation source), a Mother32, a Tanzmaus and a Redsound Elevata each going mono into one of the inputs on the OT. It’s set up with cuing in standard mode instead of studio, and it sends clock and transport but only recieves transport and uses its internal clock (only because of erratic behavior from pickup machines with even the most stable eternal clock I can get from the USAMO).

Right now I use two patterns, one dedictated to arrangement and looping and the other to manipulating the loops I’ve recorded.

Pattern 1 part 1 has thru machines on the first four tracks, corresponding to the inputs of the same number. There are also record trigs on the first step of tracks 1-4. Tracks 5-7 all have pickup machines set up in one2 record mode with play and record quantized to multiples of 16. All three of them record from the output of the thru machine that the guitar passes through (I had them all recording from different tracks originally but I never ended up using anything them for but the guitar). The scale is set to per track with a master length of 64. Track 8 is 64 steps long and has a flex machine triggered on step 1, playing from the track 8 record buffer.

Pattern 2 part 2 has flex machines on all 8 tracks. 1-7 are set to play the record buffer of the track they’re on. Track 8 has a rec trig on step 1 and is continuously recording from the master but has no play trigs.

Pattern changes are quantized to pattern length.

For control I’m using an Morningstar MC6. It’s mostly set up like the example PUM control scheme from the manual, but button 1 is in toggle mode. On odd presses it simply switches to pattern 2, so if I’m looping and sequencing in pattern 1 I can hit button 1 and at the end of the current cycke it will switch to pattern 2, all of the live input will be muted, and tracks 1-7 will be playing loops of the last 64 steps before the pattern change so I can start messing with them, while recording a stereo mix of the last 64 steps of everything I’m doing on track 8.

On even presses, button 1 switches back to pattern 1 while also cuing tracks 1-7 (set to mute while cued), so I’m back to recording again but the live input is cued and because there’s a play trig but no rec trig on track 8 in pattern 1 the main output is now playing the last 64 steps of the mix of what I was doing in pattern 2, similar to the crossfader transition trick. I can build up a new arrangement in headphones and then bring it in however I feel like. I haven’t settled on what I prefer for transitioning from the track 8 loop to the new arrangement, so this last part will probably evolve a lot over the next week.

For context, until a couple weeks ago I’d been using it almost entirely for MIDI sequencing and live effects and hadn’t sampled anything on it in probably a year minimum. Before that I was doing almost all sample based stuff in it for a while, and felt really limited by the MIDI sequencer.

MegaBreakOfDOOM. Interest = piqued. What is this?

“Matrix Chains”
Tedious to make but very rewarding.
The OP started here, I would read through it, watch some vids, maybe see if the template at the bottom get’s you started.