Wireless Midi

I need some advise about network midi.

I’d like to use iPad to wirelessly trigger pickup machines on Octatrack using iConnect Mio4, iPad, airport express, octatrack + synths etc.

Please help!:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

wireless midi? how awesome is that

this is Great I guess

I’d like to revive this thread with 3 posts to see if anyone has advice about getting the best results from wireless (bluetooth) midi when using 2 “widi” units as a connection between 2 pieces of hardware?

Specifically, I don’t want to lose the in and out ports on both devices because I’d like to have my keystep pro running into the first (digitakt) by wire and then have digitakt connected to wireless midi and sending signal to digitone which will have the other widi dongles and still connect to other devices from digitone out by wire. I have an idea that maybe I can use 2 of my midisolutions thru boxes (would rather not monopolize my quadra thru but I have 2 of the normal thru with 1 in and 2 out) and I’m trying to scam a way that I can still plug the keystep pro into the digitakt but since the wifi midi units require both midi in and midi out jacks to be occupied - while the midisolutions will free up an out on each - I’m guessing I’ll need a midi merger to be able to use the widi unit and keystep pro with digitakt, I don’t think it’s an issue with DN because that should be under control of DT and the keystep pro by way of DT.

Am I thinking about this wrong or is there no way to get around using a merger to do this? does anyone have any ideas or have I just politely hijacked a 3 year old thread for nothing? thaaanks.

1 Like

CME MIDI devices for example allow MIDI groups with one master device. If your master device can be used to reroute or as thru then you’re in.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the CME pricing per unit is cost prohibitive for me, I can really only afford to invest in the less expensive kind, I was able to get 2 for $30 total and I’m trying to work around the limitations since I don’t believe they have more advanced connectivity like the CME widijack provides. At this point if I buy a merger it’s still less expensive in the long run, the goal is mostly using Digitakt as master device but still having the keystep pro being able to provide a hands on keybed as well as hopefully follow program change.

Thank you for providing some input.

I would need a third master device for the keystep pro otherwise there would be no way for it to connect because it still requires the in and out slot filled, I appreciate that it’s a good idea but it’s just the issue of $180 on the 3 master devices is a bit out of the budget. I can probably squeeze out another 50 for the merger if I have to and I’ll be at $80 which is a bit more than I intended, but I’m hoping it will work… I wish there was a way around it and if I weren’t trying to get the keystep pro into the equation I think it would be fine as it is.

Keystep pro is too expensive and useful (mostly) to be my newest paperweight and I do like having hands on keys. I wish there was some degree of maneuvering I could do between the elektron and arturia usb ports but as I understand it, it just won’t work that way. Although I did purchase a usb midi host so perhaps I can make something work on that front?

Actually usb midi host will do nothing but allow usb class compliant midi device to interface with 5 pin, so back to merger unless I can find a way to have keystep pro send note messages to DT over usb.

1 Like

I was thinking when watching whatever vid of that guy with the tracker mini sequencing external gear, has anyone tried use any of the wireless midi dongles to send 16 tracks from a sequencer to a midi thru box/patchbay?

Edit: was thinking about this again and I think a few of the wireless dongles get power over midi? In which case they may not work with anything using trs midi?

1 Like