Wireless MIDI, CME xkey air - and a DN & A4mk2

Hello, first topic…
So my poor brain can work out an elektron box, but when it comes to connecting things, it goes to mush…

Essentially this - i’ve had two WIDI master devices for a little while, but only recently got my A4 mk2. I originally got the WIDI for my summit > DN so as to cut down on cables due to the temporary nature of my synth area (shared with dayjob, so that’s why I take stuff down!!!)

The key thing to know if you don’t - the MASTER of the two wireless MIDI device goes in the OUT and the slave to the IN.
That leaves me a THRU. All works OK without the Xkey; and I have tried normal cabling the THRU from the DN to the IN on the A4. But Something is not computing in my head… esp as I think the A4 will probably be the ‘brain’.

So yeah, I don’t know why I can’t answer my own question, but… How can I use my CME XKey Air with the DN AND the A4 best, from a MIDI stand point.

Do be gentle - I really do struggle to get my head around MIDI despite having had synths since my 20s (which was a while back…)

I bet it’s something so stupidly easy - or not at all…

Not sure what the issue is exactly, but if you run your XKey into the Midi IN of your A4 and then run the A4’s Midi THRU to your DN’s Midi IN, you should be all set.

All that’s left to do then is to set midi channels on both devices (eg I use midi channels 1 to 4 for my A4’s 4 tracks), and then you should be able to play the synth/voice you want by switching midi channels on your XKey.

1 Like

The think to decide first is which device should be the “brain”. If you want the DN to sequence the Analog Four then the DN might be the central device in the chain, but if you want to use Song mode on the AF to synchronize with the DT’s sequencer then you might consider AF Out to DN In.

1 Like

It’s always a bit of a headache when you want to use a midi keyboard and would like to chain machines together using program change to sync patterns…

Things would be much easier if the program change could be set to go to the thru…
I run into this problem every time I reconfigure my setup

Dan, yes - nail on head - sorry this is like pulling teeth with me I learn very haphazardly…

I’m gonna assume that elektron<>elektron MIDI will do all the things I want re pattern changes - but thanks to you guys I’m starting to see really what it is I’m not getting…

Adding a real keyboard in is what’s giving me the headache, wireless or not…!

If they could send program change and midi also out to the thru,
You could just plug the midi keyboard into the midi in on the one you want to be master
then use the thru to next device and it would simple…

I always get it to work how I need, but often have to use midi merge and midi thru boxes
to get it to work how I would like.
having the option to send pc and or midi to the thru would fix that

OK, so how would the midi merge/thru box thing work for me - I’ve never used them and was about to postulate using such a thing…?

Which one do you want to be master that controls pattern changes?
DN or AF mk2?

Anyhow You can have the midi keyboard go to the one you want to be master,
then merge the out and thru into the next one…

Then you select the midi channel on the keyboard for which synth you want to play

You don’t need a megre box for your use case.

Get it to work without a merge box first, then we can see if you need one.

But as of now, from what you’ve written thus far, you don’t.

1 Like

You can get it to work without a merger,
But I have a SL mk3 where you can select different channels directly from the keyboard,
without merging it all has to be on the same channel from the keyboard.
More options for sending pc and midi to thru would be better

@LordBadgers has no need for this, or a merger, if using the DN as the “brain”. They can use the DN’s AUTO CHANNEL feature, a MIDI track on the DN, and DN MIDI Out connected to AF MIDI In, to automatically route the keyboard’s messages to the active track on either Elektron instrument.

Hi yeah the xkey does allow direct midi channel changing - you press both pitch bend buttons and the corresponding note

I’m just not getting this sadly :frowning:

So boiling it down -

Ideally the mobile setup (the one I take to our holiday caravan we own) is:
Xkey
DN
A4

You have to put the WIDI jack in the OUT and then the slave to the IN but the latter I think is optional.
Then at the moment, sure I use THRU to IN on the other elektron, but that’s where I am stumbling because if I want to change patterns…

So sorry I’m so bad at explaining myself!

the AF has an autochannel too i thought…?

Indeed, but no dedicated MIDI sequencer tracks.

Anyway, you have many options for what you want to do and do not rush into buying more equipment.

Fair enough I understand what you are saying,
I currently have my setup working in that way…
but if use it that that way I miss out using my midi keyboard features as it’s intended
because of the program change that needs to be sent out the out to chain patterns,
That’s why I do it that way and why I would like pc sent to thru

This is the simplest way to set it up

1 Like

yeah, that would work if the keyboard had a physical connection. the issue here is that the xkey air needs the widi master. The widi master works like this - the main connector is in the MIDI out of, say, the DN. The slave then going to the IN.
So I’ve lost a port basically…

unless I can USB the xkey to the elektron box… sounds like I would need an interface…

The CME website says you should be able to connect only what you need — so that would mean no need for both Widi Master plugs to be connected.

You need to plug one into the Midi IN of either your DN or A4 (whichever is your “brain”) and then connect your XKey via Bluetooth. From there, take the Midi OUT of your DN and connect that to the Midi IN of your A4 (assuming your DN is the brain…if A4 is the brain, connect the Midi THRU of your A4 to your DN).

Set channels to correspond and you’re done.

Sadly not - I did just double double check. For the WIDI to work it must present on the OUT port and the little slave plug goes to the IN. So, I’m not sure what CME mean by that - but I tried it only in the IN (either plug) and no dice…

Xkey would only connect if the big plug was in the OUT. Maybe only OUT has the power? I didn’t even know MIDI had power until WIDI was a thing

But I’ll triple check the (sometimes baffling) CME site…

Maybe I can change something in the firmware I don’t know
:slight_smile: thanks though!

Had a look at the manual, apparently you have to use the Master adapter (the one that goes into the Midi Out) but don’t have to use the sub adapter (the Midi In one). But I don’t see how that would work with your use case.

So if you just want to control the A4 & DN with your keyboard and use their respective sequencers, do as follows:

1. WIDI Master plug into your DN’s Midi OUT
  2. WIDI Slave plug into your DN’s Midi IN
  3. Connect your DN’s Midi THRU to your A4’s Midi IN

You should be able to direct midi clock through the DN’s midi THRU in its menus, so you’ll be synced up. After that it’s just setting midi channels for each device (either one channel per track if you want direct access to each track from your keyboard OR you can just use both machines’ auto channels) and you should be good to go.

You should also be able to do this the other way around, ie use the WIDI plugs on the A4 and connect its Midi THRU to the DN’s Midi IN.

If you also want program change msgs and control eg the A4 via the DN’s midi tracks, this won’t work and you might need another accessory (according to the WIDI Master manual, the Master plug draws power for both plugs from the Midi Out port — so you’d have to find a way to provide power without occupying your devices’ Midi OUT port…apparently CME has a solution for that).

Just out of curiosity, have you tried plugging the Master plug into the THRU port of eg your DN (and the slave plug into its IN port)? If this would work, you could then connect the DN’s Midi OUT to the A4’s Midi IN, which would give you program change msgs and would allow you to make use of the DN’s midi tracks.