Will there be Octatrack MK3 anytime soon?

In short for all non-german readers:

It seems that Cenk told him that there is the “next big thing” coming at Superbooth 19 (and it may be a keyboard).

Additionally: the next update of the Digitone/Digitakt may get a randomizer function for parameter pages ([YES] + parameter page button).

6 Likes

Hopefully it’s a massive midi upgrade for the analog keys :grin:
(I’m such an optimist)

1 Like

always trust google translate. I think. Maybe. Not sure. Who knows. Could be wrong.

6 Likes

“He is still deeply saddened that Octatrack’s firmware update changed the handling of the record buffer, which seems to have made interesting tricks impossible”

Can anyone elaborate on this?

4 Likes

I have the intuition that this is going to be a Analog8 or something like that.

1 Like

I was thinking about pre-slices, but it seems to work…:thinking:

1 Like

I’m gunning for the keyboard action from Analog Keys, with the sample engine from Digitakt and the synth engine from Digitone and a midi sequencer to boost. It’ll have mastering FX from the Heat to some extent and 49 keys. It’ll be Elektron’s most pricey item yet, and made as much for branding and positioning purposes as sales. The Elektron’s Moog One, for those who are more serious about their keyboards than the actual pros.

2 Likes

page randomiser would be sick :stuck_out_tongue:

plus the analog engine from the A4 please :smiley:

2 Likes

That would be something. I get the feeling Elektron’s done with analogue synthesis for awhile, though. They’re world class in samples, audio processing and sequencing, and FM. About average in analogue synthesis.

Now give it to me. I got my helmet and strap on. Hit me.

I’m sure I used to be able to slice a sample then change the sample in the slot and the slices would remain the same, now it doesn’t work. Might be imagining things though, I have to delete all slices and reslice for it to fall into place properly

2 Likes

I agree, look at Model S …a low price Digitakt without sampling

What do you intend doing with that! We’re family friendly here :wink:

2 Likes

I guess I come prepared😊

I agree with cenk too, the digitakt is easier to use than modelsamples. imo

1 Like

I wonder if Cenk meant the current firmware, the next firmware, or maybe just a beta firmware he had for the unit at the time with his OT?

I barely care about the new thingy, they had me at “Recorder Buffer”… :joy:

2 Likes

I haven’t been using my OT heavily but I’m positive you could put slices in place and record into the buffer or stick a sample in and the slices would apply to the new content. Has that changed?! A bit of a bummer if so! Was a handy trick - and yes, I’m no lazy to check my own OT :joy:

1 Like

You can still do that with buffers but they break after a power cycle… I’m still on 1.25H and on that its worse than the slices disappearing as if they are all gone the OT will revert to start point locks. On my OS I’m left with 0 length “ghost slice” after power cycle and it just doesn’t play until you delete slice/reslice or turn off slice mode. Not sure about latest OS behavior. I use start point locks instead. I think if you slice the buffer and then save and assign to self they will hold, I like start point locks better anyway as they change relative to tempo/timestretched length of buffer… This becomes apparent if you record into a sliced buffer, change tempo, and then rerecord…

7 Likes

Interesting - thanks for the explanation! I should really get the finger out and play with the OT more. Currently having much fun recording loops in Ableton and simply playing with them in the OT though!

2 Likes

Once you get over the initial hump it’s super easy to sample on your OT. Once you make initial recorder settings and save the part you can easily have an output pair from Ableton routed in to OT and at anytime just hit track+rec and get a quantized loop of anything Ableton is playing, recorded and looped in realtime. With another track setup with the buffer sliced and some fx, scenes, and whatnot, it’s just track+rec and you’ll get an instantly playing slice remix of anything you throw at it from Ableton, ready to be warped further with your scenes…

6 Likes