Will there be a new M:C update?

You know that a wavetable can be build on the base of any synthesis ?
So, saying a wavetable sounds like a wavetable on its own doesn’t make so much sense…
I’m not saying that I don’t want to see machine as syn bits on M:C (I would love and I agree that it would expand the sonic possibilities) but I think that :
1.Syn Bits as it is designed on Syntakt would make no sense of M:C
2.It would make no sense based on the marketing made to sell the M:C

But I’ve already said this, and don’t want to argue more :slight_smile:
Have a nice day

It says it utilises the 4 FM operators as in, it’s a 4 oscillators wavetable synthesis.

It’s not FM at all, you can check on ess q&a m:c thread he specifically talks about that.

Technically, it’s this algorithm used (without feedback on op 4) so no frequency modulation on itself BUT it’s an algorithm frequently used on FM synths so I would consider it as FM synthesis. The particularity on chord machine is that every operator share a wavetable (thing that we can see on other fm synths too :wink: )
Capture d’écran 2023-08-22 à 11.13.49

1 Like

It’s FM but it doesn’t use FM, so it’s not FM.

It’s 4 oscillators which play the same wavetable there is no operator no ratio no feedback it’s as close to FM as any other wavetable synths.

I’m not aware of any FM synth that allow you to synchronize 4 operators while sweeping through their wavetable and having them detuned to create inversions/different interval mix in chords created by the operators.

Would love if you could link me any FM synth that does that.

1 Like

FWIW I offered FM as an example of something that might lock in the architecture, I didn’t make a definitive statement about FM and I didn’t say FM was the only aspect where the architecture might be locked in.

Turns out (I didn’t know) Ess is saying something similar (but with insider knowledge I didn’t have)

Its not a question of locking architecture nor changing the code, he was saying its hard MAKING a machine, syntakt machines are already made and done. Backporting them onto the m:c wouldnt be nearly as complicated as making new machines from the ground up.

On the Chord Machine:

On the specific structure of the m:c and the 7th machine that got cut:

emphasizing on “a huge structure that can dynamically change”.

On the model:cycles using the same CPU as the digiboxes:

If you don’t change the model cycles code, you won’t get new model:cycles firmware. New firmware doesn’t happen by magic.

You know enough about the software architecture of the two different firmwares to be sure about that ? I certainly don’t know enough to make a definitive statement (my knowledge of that is zero, like nearly everyone here I would expect).

1 Like

Just read Ess quote on the subject? he is talking about “making” a machine.
M:C already had new firmwares updates in the past.

I did … I see nothing that contradicts what I’ve said

that’s not his quote, his quote is :

Keep in mind that at that time only the m:c had the concept of machines (outside of the older pieces of hardware like the MnM).

This whole thread is like arguing about the deck chairs on the Titanic – as it lies at the bottom of the ocean.

6 Likes

My suppostion:

… and what Ess said …

He is talking about making a machine from scratch, not backporting existing machines.

that’s what he is talking about when he says it “takes a lot of work” :

This process would be different as the prototypes of the syntakt machines are already made and done, the patches are already tested and the feedback is already received. Translating the patches to run on hardware is also already done (since they exist on the syntakt).

The only thing left to do is backporting the said patches onto the m:c.

1 Like

My preferred metaphor is more like schrodinger’s cat. One day Elektron may release new M:C firmware and on that day we will know if it’s possible.

Until that day, there’s a probability of it happening and a probability of it not happening. Nothing more.

And we will probably never know if it was easy/difficult/time-consuming/a trivial event.

I’ve not been arguing that it must be hard. I’ve been arguing about the claim that it must be easy, we just don’t know that.

6 Likes

I mean, have you? :slight_smile:

I don’t know fuck all about anything, but I know you’re all wrong.

4 Likes

Did you see the word “could” in that sentence you quoted ? That means I was entertaining the possibility it was hard, not arguing it must be hard.

And I gave you a bunch of quotes that indicate that there is no proof that it could be difficult.

Actually if we’re being factual, the fact that the syntakt was able to get the exact same machines (which sound exactly the same) as the m:c on a seemingly different structure shows that the process of porting existing machines to different hardwares is known and mastered.

Considering that m:c machines were ported to the syntakt, why would the reversed operation be difficult? they use the same CPU.

The shared machines use the exact same parameters, the syntakt even sports the “punch” compressor of the m:c, both products are also strictly monophonic.

The only difference is the m:c can do machine lock (which ess hinted at its structure being able to change dynamically) while the syntakt cannot.

It would have been sensible practice for the software architectures of M:C and Syntakt to be similar enough to ease the porting of machines and other features, and this probably has some beneficial effects on any potential attempt to go in the other direction. But just because something is technically possible doesn’t mean it’s going to get done.

4 Likes

I agree.

1 Like