Will not Midi Learn

so my OT will not midi learn, tried it on both my EMU XL1 and shruthi synth. it just listens no matter what knob i try and make it learn, i got midi in and out on OT to a single synth. midi chn1 tried in the MIDI system i made sure it was on CHN1 tthen tried AUto, idk HELP

1 Like

There are many possible causes for this, and it’s not possible to tell which without you telling us your precise MIDI connections and settings.

But try making sure that your Octatrack MIDI sequencer tracks are not set to the same MIDI channel numbers as the OT’s audio tracks.

3 Likes

sorry for the vagueness but really i have tried all options, and a friend of mine who has had the OT since day one came over and made sure everything was right, and now on two different occassions, cant figure it our. i can tell the OT what CC it needs to be on and it will control that function of the synth, but it will not learn it.

so i got OT out to SYnth in an out of that Synth back to the OT midi in. ( also tried with only midi out of OT). Midi chn 1 on OT and synth, will place notes fine, MIDI CONTROL AUDIO CC IN has X as weill as note in have a X. and both CC and note outs are INT+EXT… MIDI SYNC menu transpose and clock are on send PROG CH SEND X CHN AUTO RECV X then CH AUTO… next midi menu MIDI CHANNELS AUTO CHN 1… and 1 is on CHN 1 2 on 2 and so on till 8 is on chn 8…

dont know if this helps give you the info you need, but beyond that for about a hour i was trying differnet things differnet synths,., but as i say if i know the MIDI CC i can tell the OT that and it will work that CC on the Synth… also no problem programming notes and such for the OT to tell the synth to play

1 Like

Still no solution. elektron has been no help. i love this machine but its so buggy

Have you ensured no midi channel conflicts as Peter said? Change Audio track 1 value to see if it is related to the clash the manual discusses

Try in a new project too

As @avantronica and I wrote before, this is probably the cause of your problem. Try using a MIDI channel number on the OT’s MIDI sequencer tracks that is different from the numbers that you have set in the PROJECT > MIDI > CHANNELS menu.

When you cant find a solution, the best way is to start from the very beggining. Make a back up from all your projects and then a Factory Reset (Hold FUNCTION while powering up), with a clean start everything should work ok.

Thanks a lot, works for me, I was on chanel 1, tried number 5 not work also, tried 16, wow ! cc learn is alive ! Merci :wink:

1 Like

Hi! Just wanted to revive this thread and say 2 things !

1. I’ve had the midi learn feature work for me before. Never realized that if it conflicted with the audio channels then it wouldn’t work! That’s great to know. Glad it works for me again. Was having trouble reviving this feature. Hadn’t used it in a while.

2. Just wanna add- every time something is not working or wrong on my Octatrack(I’m a power user, been using this everyday for the last 4 years) only .01% of the time is it an actual ‘bug’. But it’s nothing a reset won’t fix.
    Most of the time it’s a user error and I just had over looked a menu setting etc.

Tldr; no bugs, just pilot error :slight_smile:

2 Likes