Why should anybody want an OG 909/808 nowadays?

:grin:

100% agreed. And cheap instant ramen is childhood nostalgia for me, but a month of it is a little much, lol.

The “magical groove” theory, debunked by Roger Linn himself:

Get any Elektron and you have enough swing and microtiming to achieve any “groove” you want.

6 Likes

Spring for some real pork stock or boil in some fatty pork scraps and your ramen experience will improve 100-fold.

Also, if you have an Asian grocer nearby you can get vastly better ramen for cheap than what you typically find in “western” groceries.

Also agreed, and super grateful that my japanese grandmother taught me how to cook - there’s 2 litres of home made pork bone broth in my freezer as we speak.

The instant noodles are a childhood nostalgia “snack”, and really were only meals out of necessity when required, like when I blew my grocery budget in my youth for a drum machine.

That said, I’m currently really enjoying these Nissin brand Shio packs that I found at my local japanese grocer.

2 Likes

Sounds like we need a ramen thread :ramen::yum:

3 Likes

Angstwulf provides.

Beware of what you wished for, my friend, beware…

1 Like

So true.
Also, I find running 2 sequencers really effective for getting deep groove and bounce.
All my synths are elektron sequenced, the drums all come from the TR-8S. So I match the swing by ear.

Ignore the numbers, trust your ears.

1 Like

Given that these sounds can be had from the Interweb and thus essentially at no cost, I would say same reason why collectors (of any type) get stuff they usually do.

I think everyone should buy what they want, but people should be more honest to themself. There is so much “But the OG does sound so much better then”-arguments everywhere. Even in this thread you can read “Samples don’t count”. Samples are often from an OG and a lot of those old Devices are so inconsistent in production, that the Sample might even sound “better” than the device you are able to get your hands on.
And in the end no-one (but yourself) cares where the sound comes from and no-one but yourself will notice if that’s the OG, a good replica or a sample.
It is the same as with all that Tubeamp vs. good simulations. Even if you can notice a minimal difference in sound when you compare them one to one (that tons of tests A vs B showed up that a lot don’t), you cannot in the mix.
So if you want one of those, go for it. If you get inspiration out of having an OG over something else, go for it, but all this “OG is so much better” is just finding excuses for those buys.

And before you argue: I am definitively not free of all this (just not with synths)!

5 Likes

Let alone the fact that those samples are compressed or treated somehow….

1 Like

Samples are not the same as analog. If it was the same we would’ve never seen a comeback as hard as it does now or would we?

1 Like

Well, besides those very few out there, that use analog gear only and release it as LP or on Tape only, we all sample the stuff in the process of creating music that we can release and with that compress it in resolution somehow. And most of us will say, that it does not destroy the music we do.
Just because people buy stuff does not mean they need it. As I wrote: I am not free of this behavior, but most of what we tell ourself, that we need, is something that we want, because we think its cool, and we are really really good in finding exuses. That starts with buying another synth, because we tell ourself, that we cannot be creative without and ends in buying a OG for way more money than it is really worth.
I don’t judge people who do that, for whatever reason. It is totally fine! I just question the reasons people name. And for me personally this “it sounds better” is one of those reasons.

1 Like

I don’t get why everything has to be analog though? Replace 1 digital or sample based instrument with an analog one and you’ll hear it back the mix. (at least I do most of the time) Better sounding is just a matter of taste unless one is very specific about what and why.

Once you try an OG you will understand.

2 Likes

But they do sound, interplay and feel different - even in a blind taste test.

They all know it’s like a 909, but only one of them thought it was an actual 909 - and it wasn’t even presented as a test.

But even the way you use the knobs and want to interact with the switches can change the end result - ultimately that’s still a part of the sound even if in a more abstract way.

4 Likes

I’m glad I like the 90s Dance Mania sound, because an authentic DR660 is a whole different story in terms of accessibility (but nothing else sounds like it, except maybe a DR770).

1 Like

What’s the link between Dance mania and the DR660? Were tracks like Ambulance made on a DR660?

You get no stepping, aliasing and overall much smoother sounding pitch - frequency changing.

And some envelopes on say digital Roland’s like SH-32 or JP-8080 are erm… well let’s say I don’t like them very much. Or take the envelopes on the Xiosynth. Pretty terrible. The old Nords on the other hand have really good and responsive envelopes.

Comparing static oscillators, what you see Sonicstate doing in their review vids, isn’t very helpful and usually doesn’t mean much. With the exception of a low rumble sawtooth perhaps

Yes, the UI/UX is a good point, and how the feel of the instrument affects the output. Playing the boutique version or setting up a drum rack in Ableton won’t give that.