Why is there no pattern/project management tool from Elektron?

What exactly do you propose we do? Meet at the Elektron HQ and revolt? :joy:

3 Likes

Yes!

2 Likes

You can use sysex to export/import specific patterns. Yes, it’s a bit tedious but it works and is quicker and more reliable than copying single patterns between projects.

5 Likes

Would it be possible to write a program that does that sysex swapping thing automatically?

Do elektron devs read this forum?

1 Like

If you were an Elektron dev, would you read this forum?

I have this fantasy where, at lunchtime, it is someone’s job (assigned on a rotating basis) to collect the most amusing posts from the previous 24 hours, and read them out loud to amuse the collected diners in the lunchroom. But probably they just go outside and enjoy the sunshine and relax.

6 Likes

I would put money on the ones that get the biggest laughs would be those that include “It should be simple to code”.

6 Likes

Considering the current weather in Berlin or in Sweden, i’d say they have time to watch the forum :wink:

2 Likes

Jokes intended but “this is the way” if you really about it. You could bounce the stwms and trigger stems maybe?

would be nice, but we don’t, I have to go writing stuff down on papers is tedious has been the only way to do the long task unfortunately

3 Likes

Have you looked into using a personal knowledge base app like Obsidian (software) - Wikipedia or Notion (productivity software) - Wikipedia?

2 Likes

Maybe AI can do something about it?

I hope so.
Maybe ai can program something like that for us?
I

I think the main issue is there’s no documentation about how the Elektron machines store patterns etc as MIDI Sysex, so it’s really hard for developers to build applications that interact with them. I don’t see AI being able to assist there as it’s really just trial and error to decode these formats.

Would love to see an official tool from Elektron, but failing that, if they documented the Sysex format it would make building a tool like this 10x (maybe 100x!) easier

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read in the last month comments like “We could easily do X if elektron only published Sysex Format or Saved Project format”

Someone should start a feature request thread. Not me. I’m not asking for it. But it’s been mentioned here and here

Yeah, i’ve commented on atleast one. I get why people want it, i also get why Elektron would be dragging their feet.

1 Like

I’ve lost count of the number of posts in the Request threads. Nobody can even tell if anyone at Elektron has ever read it.

I meant each of people interested sending email at feature-request@elektron.se.

At least one claiming this could give it a try if they would publish Sysex info.

Why?

Things like

5 Likes

Did my part just now :slight_smile:

8 Likes

At least for rytm you may use my sdk to write one. I’d be pleased if it is used for that kind of project.
I don’t have interest and time to do a frontend and write that kind of software but I’d contribute and give support to the person who’d be interested in doing that.

2 Likes

I heard a lot of this kind of reasoning about 20 years ago, right before Web 2.0 started taking off. Then, all of a sudden, people with that mindset would miss out on all the cool stuff other people invented for free around those products that had an open API, which could boost those products’ value enormously.

BTW, Elektron has enough experience in building the APIs for their devices, so I’d assume the current APIs are mostly stable (e.g. the original AR came out 10 years ago), and adding small features (like new models or parameters) is not a big deal for developers to keep up with. But if every small change requires reverse engineering that shit again, this becomes a pain in the ass. You shift the burden of keeping up entirely to those people who put in the effort to add value to your product. That does not sound like a good idea to me.

4 Likes