Why is the Mixer doing this but the OT doesn't

Hi,
I’m running my Vermona DRM3 into my Mackie 1202 VLZ4 then on into my OT inputs. When doing so, I’ve noticed that the levels indicator on my Allen and Heath DB4 show up lopsided.
However, when I run the DRM straight into the OT, the levels are equal for both L and R.
I’ve included the photos from the levels below.
Last photo is when running directly into Octatrack.

According to the photo, the levels are lopsided on the Mackie as well, so it’s either the Mackie or one of the two extra cables you are using to add the Mackie to the chain.
Swap the cables going in to the mackie, is L now hotter than R? If yes, it’s the cable.
If not, check setting on the Mackie, stereo channel or 2 mono channels?, pan/balance knob slightly off-center, try a different channel, maybe the one you’re using has a faulty 1/4" socket.

1 Like

I think it’s the Mackie mixer.
Everything I send into it out coming up hotter in the right channel. B I’ve got 2 OTs, a digitone and the DRM and all of them show up hotter to the right. That’s 4 different pairs of inputs that are all doing it.

1 Like

I’ve sent the sound into Ableton and checked the meters.

This photo is simultaneously recording the Octatrack sending into the mixer (left meter) and the returned sound from the Mackie (right meter).
The difference is there.

1 Like

Then another thing to try is plugging and unplugging a jack in the master insert socket of you main L. Sometimes there is a slight contact of one leg on the insert return which weakens the signal.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Cheers @Joe_b. I’ve resolved it by messing with the balance. All of the channels are off by the same amount pretty much.

1 Like

I have a Mackie 1642VLZ4 mixer with a stereo return that has one channel 1-2dB louder than the other. Also one input channel’s gain knob needs to be tapped or fiddled a bit from time to time to get the correct gain. I love the features but poor build quality I’m afraid.

Yeah, that’s becoming apparent to me.
I love the features too, could do with a couple more sends though. Not it was the best option in the size.

This is typical of Mackie’s smaller mixers. I’ve owned several over the years, and they’ve all exhibited this anomaly on the stereo inputs to some degree of another. That said, I’m currently touring with two of their 402 mixers, using them for submixes in my live rig… At least one of them has been taking abuse on the road for over ten years now without failing, and that 1-2db difference left/right isn’t really noticeable within the context of practical application. Not that I’m advocating for Mackie (honestly, I couldn’t care less), but I wouldn’t worry too much about it if I were you.

Cheers!

1 Like

Fwiw I’ve got a Yamaha MG10xu and MG16XU and they both do this to stereo inputs.

Cheers @mars64, a problem shared is a problem halved as they say.

I hear it - definitely on headphones - and it bothers me. I need my equipment to reflect my stereo image correctly.

Just worked out that the headphone outputs on my mixer are slightly left leaning. I was seriously starting to doubt my hearing. I’m gonna throw this thing out.

Hence why I said “within the context of practical application”. If critical listening is what you’re doing, why would you buy a cheap Mackie mixer in the first place? At any rate, as I also stated previously, I’m not advocating for Mackie and don’t really care. I was simply letting the OP know that it’s typical behaviour and doesn’t necessarily mean the board is going to fail. That’s all.

Cheers!

Seems to me one ‘practical application’ of any mixer is L/R balance critical listening. In my book a mixer in any price range should have its channels properly balanced. Mackie is budget range but not the very cheapest either, and wants to position itself as a professional audio company, so I think we are not misguided to expect such basic function to be correct. Surely we shouldn’t only expect proper balance from SSL and the like?