Why is the external audio from the Rytm out of sync?

Just to clarify how I have it set up.

I have the Analog Rytm slaved to Ableton via Overbridge. Everything works fine, I can record audio into Ableton via USB. However, I also have two TRS cables running from the main outputs of the Rytm, into my analogue mixing desk, and into my audio interface,

This audio is delayed (by about half a second) when I monitor it through my DAW. It is not a problem with my interface, as I have other synths set up in the same way and trigger them via MIDI and everything is in time.

Why am I getting a very slight delayed audio signal from the main outputs of the Analog Rytm? I had planned to run and record the Rytm through my desk, rather than via USB for extra analogue goodness, but now this is impossible…unless of course I record the tracks out of time then manually drag them in time, which is not acceptable…

Thanks in advance…

1 Like

Sounds like It sounds to me that you need to adjust the buffer settings on your audio interface.

Is there a delay recording other gear?

I bet if you plug some headphones into the box and press play the audio will be in time.

1 Like

Hi,

No delay when recording other gear. I have a Deepmind 12 hooked up via USB Midi, with the external left and right audio outs from the synth through my desk and into my interface and there is no latency there. Works perfectly. However even just triggering a sound on the rytm via the pad, the sound is delayed coming through my desk. It is only related to the Rytm, so I don’t see why it would be the buffer settings on my interface.

I’m so confused why this is happening. It’s almost like the rytm is delaying sending out the audio for half a second.

I will try with headphones.

This is weird. In most cases it’s the opposite that happens where the audio outs will have very low latency, and the OB audio is delayed…
I’d maybe try some debugging by starting simple with no OB and perhaps a fresh daw project, and see if you get the delay there. If not reintroduce OB and check again…
You don’t have Rytm somehow activated as a soundcard at the same time do you?

I have the same problem - OB audio is in sync but the audio out of the analog outputs is delayed. Means I can’t take the AK output and run through external fx unless I send it out of OB and back in.

Been told by support that this is by design, and will be the case until an ‘editor only’ option is added to OB - however this would stop the ability to record via OB, so not looking hopeful to be able to do both…

1 Like

Hmm, I haven’t tried OB in awhile but when I did the analog outs of the rytm were unchanged, analog quickness with no delay, could hear OB coming in later if both were activated… Why on earth would the analog output signal get delayed? Am I missing something?
Is this with soundcard method or plugin?
Attempting to use both?
If it were to be delayed intentionally by activating OB, it seems like it would be a function to compensate for the OB latency and line it up again, not delay it more than OB itself?

Very peculiar indeed, my OB audio is delayed compared to the main outs as should be expected. Can’t imagine how it would be doing the opposite.

Support suggested that the opposite should be expected. Very peculiar to me too!

I would’ve thought the same but audio from OB comes in early!
Audio always beings before the start of the first bar!

Have you tried testing the lag from audio outs with ‘overbridge enabled’ flag set to off? Just curious if this affects things.

It’s OB causing the lag so I’m sure disabling would solve. However if OB functions are required - which they are in my case - then disabling it would solve one problem and cause another. Also it would then be clocked via USB midi rather than OB’s own protocol - which would cause one of the worst problems of them all… USB Midi jitter - which I’m very happy to say that OB has almost entirely removed from the equation.

If i had enough inputs, I would like an editor only mode - however currently I don’t have enough inputs to track AR on top of other gear - and bought the AR for this reason. However the lag meaning that you can’t send the AR/AK out of it’s analog outputs into FX and back into direct monitoring on my soundcard without it being very latent against OB has thrown up an unexpected problem. And makes this not workable in a live-tracking sense. Only in the post production stage

I only ask to test to see what the result is. It could at least confirm your suspicions, or not. I am not suggesting this as a solution, merely to eliminate a possible cause variable.

Thanks for the suggestion @Cosmic :slight_smile: It’s just that the OP said:

So disabling it would not solve his or her problem, or be removing a variable, as it’s about the latent analog outputs when in OB mode :slight_smile: The Analog outputs are not latent, to the clock received to it’s ‘Midi in’, when not using OB

No but it will give you an indicator to the possible cause.
In troubleshooting, to find out the cause of any problem, it is prudent to eliminate the variables.

:slight_smile: I do understand that. But if the problem is only present when using OB, so therefore disabling it would not elimanate any variables, or even allow any problem solving/troubleshooting info at all, as the problem of latent analog outputs is only present when the OB enabled flag is active!

If you disable it, and the problem persists, then you know its not overbridge. But if you are fine accepting Overbridge is definitely the cause, then great :slight_smile:

I know it is fine without OB :slight_smile: As I used it that way for many months prior to using OB.

Also sorry but; I don’t think that you quite get that the OP and myself want the Analog outputs to not be latent when using OB. So whether it is latent or not with OB turned off, is beside the point, as the goal is to have non latent outputs when using OB!

In ableton what audio driver are you using when connected to overbridge?

Using OSX with audio being handled by Metric Halo ULN-8.

However the latency is present when direct monitoring from the soundcard (and therefore not affected/monitored from Ableton, and it’s settings, which would of course add latency)

Sorry, I think we’re just shocked this is happening, doesn’t make much sense.
I realize when I use OB I have sync disabled and receive clock from OT, probably has something to do with how OB operates using the sync settings…

Ah different config to me, as I sync via OB. So that would explain why we are seeing different results.

1 Like