Why is the Digitone clicking?

That’s not a bad idea at all! It gives dynamic in sound too.

Of course, you may gets clicks with one voice, too, when a new trig interrupts the still playing one (and the envelope is configured to restart from 0).

Makes sense!

I agree, I also get much clicking when I programm on the Digitone, it´s a shame that you are interrupted in your workflow looking for the cause, and it can not always be eliminated. Didn´t experience this with any other synth, and I´ve played alot.
edit:
And I also find it a bit strange that many users here are saying that it is a normal behaviour with a synthesizer and a user error, if you don´t know how to follow the steps to avoid it. For me, all these steps are rather kind of workarounds and certainly not basic universal synth programming skills. I would indeed say the click/pop issue is hardware related - but sure, if you know what you are doing, you can work around it.

5 Likes

@Ouranon it has been explained over and over again, Ess has explained it over and over again. I do not get clicks by doing this so follow my instructions!

Turn off amp envelope reset, turn off operator reset, don’t use an attack time under two or three ( maybe even go higher), don’t use a release time under two or three, make sure that your voices are allocated correctly and that you are aware of how note length is affecting the polyphony setting…

if you’re so worried about the clicking have you read this thread? Because i find it hard to believe that you’d be still having such issues if you’ve read the thread

7 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to summarize it once again, I was a bit impatient I admit that I have to go thru advices and follow specific settings and rules in order to avoid clicks. It just wasn´t something that I had to do on any other synth (besides excessive envelope settings of course). Voice stealing is nothing new for me of course, but never had I encountered clicking regarding this.
edit: ok, just read the post from acidhouseforall, quite interesting.

1 Like

So I know if a note overlaps with another it can result in a “voice collision” and a click can occur. With a patch that is monophonic, say a bass for instance, would it be better to adjust the note lengths or the release times? Or both?

Me personally I always set the note length just a little shorter than my actual sequenced note. So for instance an 8 trig long note, I would set note length to 7.75 or even 7.5 and use release setting to reach desired length…

2 Likes

Yeah I do that, but still get clicking.

Something that needs fixing for sure.

1 Like

@Munro Have you turned off operator reset? Amp reset? What is your release and attack at?

2 Likes

Sine Wave not retriggered at zero in their phase clicks. Long Releases overlapping or very short release can cause clicking, too. No Phase Reset with longer attack can help sometimes. Short Attack with no Phase reset of course clicks sometimes depending on where it retrigs in the phase.

FWIW I have had some patches/patterns riddled with clicks’n’tickss that would only behave when an lfo was set to Trig=ONE

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Whew this was a difficult one for me. I tried all the amp settings (disabling amp reset, messing with attack and decay), adding more voices to the sound, and nothing worked.

In the end it was because having the same note play again on the same track forces a retrigger, and if the notes are overlapping, which they were because I wanted to do portamento, clicking occurs. But with the Digitone you have to set the notes to end just before the next one starts for no clicking to occur.

With the Analog Keys I got used to doing the opposite with portamento, by having the notes overlapping and then adding note slide triggers.

By the way, is there any way to slide a note pitch without an amp/filter envelope retrigger with the DN? Changing the root note in a Lock trig / Noteless trig won’t work for some reason :frowning:

(EDIT: Ok nvm becase I realized I was only touching the syn2 page amp settings, didn’t find the second amp page amp env reset (AENR) before. Maybe that would’ve worked as well.)

1 Like

I’m at the beginning of the DN journey and just got pretty annoyed at the clicking issue. This suddenly felt like an ugly stain on an otherwise awesome machine. Apparently there are many (valid and understandable) reasons for clicking, but in the “repeatedly triggering the same note” context it really seems like a bug.

TLDR
You just have to make sure that the note is short enough not to spill into the next trig. Thanks for pointing that out @PTSowns and @tsarpf. Zero attack/release also cause this (among other things), but the defaults work just as well i suppose.

2 Likes

I know, I know, another post about clicks but this issue’s cropped up a couple times for me recently. I’ll have the melody/bass running on the dn and drums on the dt and everything’s ok. I’ll clone and chain my pattern on the dn to start building, then I start getting some clicks. Havent had much luck with attack/release tweaks, scaling back on voices, phase stuff. What does work and im not understanding is turning the dt off. The click is always on the first beat of a 16 but which 16 gets one is irregular. Ooh, ok, turning the arpeggiator down to two tracks from three definitely works but still confused about why having the dt playin through the dn is interacting like that. Anyway, anybody have any ideas/insight?
Thanks!

I think this should be pinned somewhere :smiley:

1 Like

There is a fundamental design flaw in the Digitone: when in a track you repeat the same note sooner than the release of the patch, the same voice is re-used, leading to a click, even if all the other voices are available. If instead you play a different note, a new voice is used and there isn’t a click.

It is very easy to demonstrate this behaviour. In a fresh track select a factory preset with a longish release, such as an ambient patch. Press lips to show the voice utilization screen. Now quickly play C D E F … C and watch how at each keypress a new voice is used. Then quickly play C C C C: the one voice is reused, and you hear clicks.

I wrote to support about this but they didn’t bother answering. It seems to me a firmware update is seriously needed here, at least to provide an option of using a free voice on a repeated note.

6 Likes

If this is confirmed, yes, it seems more than annoying, and should be fixed. I don’t have a DN, yet!
(Playing always the same note is annoying too :grimacing: ).

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s exactly like this. They should really fix this asap.

3 Likes

Reading backwards in this thread, I see a couple of people have noticed the same flaw. Others, especially near the beginning, waste looong posts lecturing people about synthesizers and claiming the clicks are user error. Incredible!

2 Likes