Why is the Digitone clicking?

The (same) notes needs to overlap in time to get the the clicky behavior (so they get cut short even if there are still voices available). And, yes, of course this doesn’t happen when the envelopes are short enough. IMHO this is mostly a problem with sounds with a purposely long tail like bass sounds or retriggered ambient sounds.

2 Likes

Hmmm. But long ambient sounds is what I was doing. Zero clicks.
Im using an arturia Keystep to play the notes. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Elektron, please fix this “same note” clicking issue! It takes away from an otherwise amazing synth. I’m not sure why some people are still denying that this problem exists. As others have pointed out, it’s an easily verifiable and well documented issue. Even ess and tech support at elektron have confirmed it and said they would like to change it. I’m just hoping it happens soon so I can use the synth again. It’s not like we are asking for some overbridge miracle or wild new functionality. Just that the synth doesn’t pop and click randomly and ruin the mood and the mix. Much love to elektron and the elektronauts otherwise.

4 Likes

Just follow the repro path I described above. You need a patch with a long release. And use the “voices” (lips key) display to see which voices are being used. There is no mystery to reproducing the clicks and I’m pretty sure every DT does this, since even the company agrees this behaviour occurs.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I have been struggling with the “same-note clicking” problem on the Digitone. It takes away from an otherwise amazing instrument. This is a well documented and easily verifiable problem, which has been acknowledged by many, including people at Elektron. (Please see the thread titled “Why is the Digitone clicking?” for further explanation. Around the latter half of the thread some consensus is achieved.)

It occurred to me that using the Retrokits RK-002 midi cable with the Digitakt firmware installed might solve this problem. Basically, one could load the same patch onto all four tracks and play the Digitone polyphonically that way. The “same-note clicking” problem arises when you play the same note with a long release repeatedly. Even when multiple voices are available, the Digitone uses the same voice to play the repeated note, resulting in voice stealing and, thus, clicking. What the Retrokits cable does is make sure that each note is played on a different track, on its own channel, allowing one to bypass the problematic voice allocation system on the Digitone. Would this work? Has anyone tried the cable on the Digitone? It would be great to know if this works before ordering the cable. (I think I remember that Ctrl-All also works on the Digitone, even though I use this more on the Digitakt…am I right that I could control all four tracks on the Digitone this way?) Thank you all for your help!

That Polymux would limit DN to 4 notes polyphony…isn’t it?
As Polymux would use 4 midi channels, I wonder if it’s possible to record 4 channels with DN, not using Auto channel obviously.

Perhaps check out the sysex files released by @Ess recently. Same note repeats, no clicks. Not that I can hear anyway. The answer seems to be, adjust envelopes, and operator phase retrig settings.

3 Likes

Off topic, but is it possible ?

1 Like

Would the RK-002 really limit it to 4 notes of polyphony? Damn, for some reason, I thought it would just cycle through notes/channels…but I think you’re right. I just ordered the cable, so I guess I can use it with the digitakt. Was so excited to have found a (non)solution.

The release of the repeated note also matters…turn up the release, play CCCC repeatedly, and look at what is happening in the voice allocation display. As the same voice is used, there is an audible click. Not sure what ess’s project files has to do with this. I have contacted elektron support and they have told me it is a known issue. So the question is not whether the issue exists, but how best to get around it.

RK002 splits notes to different midi channels. The DN is limited to 4 channels in that concern. 8 is possible with DT, OT, other stuff. I think the RK-002 can go up to 16 channels if you modify the script.

Sure, Im not saying the behaviour doesnt exist. Im offering insight as to how to manage it.
I have no idea what you are wanting to do with your digitone, but for me at least, the clicks aren’t an issue. And from listening to Ess’s stuff ( the digitone designer) it isnt an issue either.

Anyway, give the sysex files a look if you get the chance. Worth doing.

Will need to try it out…If you play CDEF together in this mode, each note will play on its own track. What will happen when I add G? Will it cut off the C? If the cable is designed to play one note on each midi channel, this will probably happen. It won’t let me play C and G together on the same channel in this scenario, right? Or am I wrong again (hopefully!)?

I have RK002 but I didn’t try Polymux. I used Midipal for that “poly” purpose. It has different modes. I don’t know what is RK002 default one.

Also, wondering what would happen if one combined Digitone’s autochannel with RK-002 set to 8 note polyphony. That is, I would not specify to the Digitone that channel 1 is tied to track 1, etc. Would autochannel and the midi cable system somehow conspire together to create the situation I need? Hard to explain, but I see a sliver of hope again.

Polymux assigns different midi channels to several notes. Cannot work with 1 channel (Auto channel).
You’d have to rewrite the script if you want 2 voices per channel. I don’t think it would solve initial problem anyway.

Right…I was confusing auto channel for an “all channel” setting, where digitone receives on all channels from 1 to 16. Don’t remember if that exists or whether I’m thinking of some other synth…need to look that up.

Auto channel is not an Omni mode. :wink:

True. Damn it. But thank you for all your help sezare56. All the best!

1 Like

I am very happy to report that using the Retrokits Rk-002 midi cable with the Digitone eliminates same-note clicking quite effectively. And it does so without hampering polyphony–I was afraid the cable would limit me to four notes, but that is not the case.

What I am doing is using the DUY Digitakt firmware with the Digitone, so the notes I play are distributed over all four tracks, which I load with the same patch. I use Ctrl-All to manipulate all four tracks together, but it’s also fun to make each track slightly different, to add a little more variation and depth to the overall sound.

The added benefit of this approach is that you get to record 8-note chords, if you like, as the notes are distributed over multiple tracks. This was a surprising but welcome discovery for me, and I hope others are able to enhance their enjoyment of this amazing instrument using this workaround.

But this is still a pretty messy and unnecessary workaround and not an ideal solution. It would be great if Elektron could fix this issue at some point, as it is obvious that they care about maintaining a clean, effective, focused, and high quality workflow and aesthetic. All the best!

1 Like