Why haven't Elektron updated the OT delay, reverb, and chorus?

I’m in early stages of getting a project Template together atm. Going to have something like -
First 10 banks - Empty.

Banks 11 - 16 (and their respective parts and scenes) = various synth/keys/weird sounds, drum machines (sliced sample chains etc), fx, machine setups etc.

So in for example Bank 16 I can save effect chain on a track (or a longer chain across multiple tracks using neighbor machines) and then later import those tracks(fx) in to empty banks 1-10 during writing jams easily without having to constantly set things up from scratch.
It’s all a little vague in my head as I’m still learning the machine’s nuances. But it should make some things a lot quicker. I still need to retread manual to remind myself how definable track copy is. Ideally I can select what aspects of a track to copy/write/replace. So I can be jamming an idea in bank 1, think ‘oh that fucked up reverb reverse filter brain melt effect would be cool on this track in this pattern’ , and copy the effect settings etc in from bank 16. Without writing over the track default sample and pattern trigs… I’m only a few sessions in on making the template but already have some really good sounds/fx that’ll be really useful to have in instant reach. Especially when jamming with other people…

I use outboard effects a lot (on a CUE send and THRU return).

If only you could parameter lock the CUE level… would really open up possibilities for creative use of outboard delays, reverbs etc

I think you can kind of fake this using track recorders in a way similar to the technique coralhex described for multi-tap delays.

e.g.

Track 1 playing samples
Track 2, muted (or LEVEL all the way down), cued, sampling track 1 and immediately playing it back
Set up volume parameter locks on track 2 to control its cue output, and because it’s muted you won’t hear it in the main outs

1 Like

A simple way to get this is to use CUE as your main output, and MAIN as your lockable FX send. In studio mode, obviously. It seems a bit hacky but works really well.

EDIT: For the sake of clarity, MAIN is more precisely sceneable, thus also arrangeable, and optionally triggable via a MIDI track and loopback.

:slight_smile:

Guess what?

Guess what?[/quote]

Guess what?[/quote]
:+1:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think you can kind of fake this using track recorders in a way similar to the technique coralhex described for multi-tap delays.

e.g.

Track 1 playing samples
Track 2, muted (or LEVEL all the way down), cued, sampling track 1 and immediately playing it back
Set up volume parameter locks on track 2 to control its cue output, and because it’s muted you won’t hear it in the main outs
[/quote]
excellent! I’m currently doing something similar with multiple THRUs for the same source. One has level up, no CUE. The other two have CUE up no level with short release trigs going to hard-panned left or right CUEs for 2 outboard FX, which return on another THRU.
With effects and slides along the chain… getting some nice sidechain style

A simple way to get this is to use CUE as your main output, and MAIN as your lockable FX send. In studio mode, obviously. It seems a bit hacky but works really well.

EDIT: For the sake of clarity, MAIN is more precisely sceneable, thus also arrangeable, and optionally triggable via a MIDI track and loopback.[/quote]
Hey, I forgot all about studio mode.
Just came on to ask about p-locks and now I see your edit! So, yeah I got the scenes going. It’s good but I like to automate, so it might be time to get into midi loopback…
Thanks!
Oh and with effect units that are midi controllable you can do the job by controlling the effect input/output wet/dry levels with CCs

yeah also using octatrack cue out for outboard fx gear. If you have an octatrack and a4, the easiest way to use a4 delay and reverb with the octatrack is to send cue out into a4 ext. audio in, set levels for reverb and delay and chorus, mute ext.in from main outs in a4 voice setings, route a4 main auto into octatrack in C/D Now you can use level of cue out like a send effect.

1 Like

Actually, @Clancy, I was overkilling. Just send CC#47 p-locks or LFO streams over loopback. Done. No need to flip the output pairs.

And YEAH, CCing the box directly is unhealthy amounts of fun. Response times tend to drag a little with older units, but even then it’s months/albums worth of trippy exploration.

1 Like

excellent. thanks!

I don’t have an OT anymore, but I remember the delay sounding not very good when you edit the time parameter. I’ve been playing with different DSP platforms for years, where you can choose to use different types of delay, like for example you can choose between interpolated delay and non-interpolated delays. Interpolated delays seems to work best with modulation, non interpolated delays does not sound very good, when modulating them.

When I hear the OT’s delay, I kind of get the feeling that the delay is not interpolated, so it gives it these harsh digital artefacts when changing delay time.

Can’t say if it’s the actual reason, but I do have a feeling that the reason it doesn’t sound super nice, has something to do with interpolation.

Updated delay with inboard features (resampling with feedback).

9 Likes

This sounds great! Super lush and shits on any idea of the effects sounding bad to my ears :slight_smile:

Any further explanation of what’s going on here would be great, just recently got an octatrack and trying to work out which of my ideas with it will ultimately be possible

1 Like

I can’t give a detailed explanation right now, but the principle is to send some tracks to CUE, record it and play it on a Flex, send this track to CUE to taste -> feedback.
You can use several rec trigs, several playback trigs pitched (with one step or more delay), add fx, reverb, delay, comb filters, etc…

3 Likes

OT feedback is soo tasty! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup. An example from scratch with shimmer reverb. I didn’t set the CUE send properly but the principle is there.
#updated fx. :pl:

6 Likes

Niiiice, thanks for the explanation, wish I had another cue track to spare :slight_smile:

Great work, but when you said “updated delay” I was hoping you were testing out a new firmware and let it slip :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t understand why anyone would want to update the FX on the OT. It’s part of what makes the OT an OT. I actually don’t understand it when folks say that some FX sound ‘dated’ (in general). Imagine how incredibly boring everything would be if all FX were ‘updated’ and basically started sounding pretty much the same across multiple brands and devices?
It’s also a subjective thing and I get that - plenty of people shit on ‘shimmer reverb’ but that vid by @sezare56 showing how you can get a shim sim on the OT is just brilliant.
In place of updating the FX it goes to show you just need to use your imagination and be more creative with what you already have.
This wasn’t meant to be a rant or rile anyone up but FFS.

14 Likes