Why has no one built the perfect sampler yet?

That might conflict with your extensive requirements?

1 Like

if Uli won’t do it no-one will

it would take all of 5 minutes and an excel spreadsheet to come up with it.

slicing- transient and regional
sampling & sample editing- mpc
sequencing- elektron
stereo capability
more ram
more storage
a song mode for petes sake
crossfader and Q-link knobs/faders on the left
good pads
velo row of step buttons too
multiple outs
disk streaming

pride in workmanship but no pride in unreasonable omissions of tried, and truly, tested workflow standards and features.

and make it as sleek as the polyend tracker

laugh all the way to the bank

2 Likes

I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect sampler/sequencer for some years now…I’ve owned about 15 samplers in this period, and I haven’t found the perfect one yet. I’ve kind of accepted the fact that my journey will continue forever haha.

As a lot of people mentioned, it’s not about having as many options as possible. The perfect sampler to me has the right balance between options and workflow. The new MPC’s feel like a DAW to me because they have too many options, and don’t inspire me at all.

The ones that to me are closest to the perfect machine are:

• DT: near perfect workflow, it just misses sample slicing, songmode and stereo and polyphonic playback. Also, but thats a personal opinion, it sounds too clean.
  • MPC 1000 with JJOS: Close to a perfect workflow, and a perfect balance between options and workflow. It’s just the sound en the fx which are kind of meh.
  • ASR-10: This machine is from 92, and can do more than most samplers these days. The UI is awful if you don’t build up extensive muscle memory. The options/sound of the ASR, combined with the DT UI would be the perfect sampler I guess…
  • AR mk2: Apart from some stupid omissions (no retriggering the amp env, no finetuning samplestart) the AR mk2 is even closer than the DT: it sounds awesome as a sampler, and has a songmode. If this thing had sample slicing, and some way to do polyphonic playback… ah well.
13 Likes

Exactly… there is no ‘perfect’ the nearest you’ll get is ‘perfect for me’ which will likely not be perfect for everybody else. For some, an octatrack may be perfect, for others the perfect sampler might be a microgranny.

1 Like

Aah good ol’ perfectionism, I’d let that ship set sail if I where you :wink:

Also, everything is perfect as is if you don’t expect more from it than it can offer.

1 Like

yeahhhh but… we all know there is no such thing as perfect already, still there is a certain set of features all manufacturers are hovering around and a certain set they are all omitting that all of us imperfect people wanting the perfect beatmachine for us have all made request about over and over and over and over…

disk streaming, probability, and a song mode are not going to dishevel anyones personal idea of perfection… I think we are safe, and making it harder than it has to be…

the real issue is the will to do it…

1 Like

Marketing

On synths we’ve been seeing the choice for the end user more often lately.
Like the ASM Hydrasynth Keyboard and Desktop or Waldorf Quantum and Iridium.

Would be nice to see this happen by samplers also. Maybe then 3 versions, keyboard, desktop and 19" plus remote (a bit like Nord Modular). About polyphony it would be interesting to make the sample engine plug-out based and the same on FX’s with plug-out possibilities.

2 Likes

look at NI, the people keep asking them for watermelon and they keep giving them honeydew… and then they tell the people how difficult it was to get them the honeydew they didn’t ask for ha!

3 Likes

there it is… the enduser is the key.

you can’t even get iPad apps that the enduser wants now, do you know how many years people have been asking for a simple Ableton live-ish clip launching app, with scenes and follow actions har har har

I would just be happy with an Octatrack with dedicated outs for each channel. And maybe a better implementation of crossfade for loops and updated effects, preferably an online FX bank or store where you could pick and choose what FX you want. True polyphony, why not! Leave everything else as is.

3 Likes

this is the future after all… there is no sane reason under the sun that these mpcs that are older than some of the people on this forum should be still calling the prices they go for…

it’s only because the enduser can’t get some simple things like an screen on a deluge and a waveform on the screen to edit.

I bet £5 this turns into an OT sound quality thread before lunchtime…

11 Likes

it’ll be a why no resampling on the polyend tracker thread by brunch

1 Like

It’s because the MPC takes/has taken a far less experimental approach to sampling. Its approach is very basic but it does it very well and has continued to do so. It’s not for everyone but that’s why they’re so revered.

The middle classes are very serious about resampling.

7 Likes

The Octatrack is perfect (apart from the sound quality and the … er oops sorry wrong thread again)

4 Likes

agreed but my point is that the best bits of all of these beat machines we use has not escaped us, surely someone could put it together… we already know what works and what the people love outta all of these beat machines currently available

1 Like

I agree. I also think companies tend to think about what “they” consider important in a sampler or in a sampling philosophy in general. It leads to cool products but it also leads to segmented functionality.

1 Like

To answer the question directly…
The reason it hasn’t been built is because it would make life incredibly boring and we’d have nothing to talk about anymore.
We’d all be here in one circle jerk thread saying to each other how amazing something was and that’d be the end of life as we know it.
It’s obviously important for manufacturers to keep putting it off and to remain competitive. Once one manufacturer produces the ‘god’ machine we’re all fucked.

4 Likes