Why has no one built the perfect sampler yet?

1 Like

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

6 Likes

Nothing can ever be perfect. :frowning:
If you want ‘perfect’ for you, likely the best thing you can do is make a custom maxmsp patch and create a custom midi controller :smiley:

EDIT:
I’d argue that if Digitakt had sample slices (and maybe stereo samps) it’d be close to a “perfect” one shot sampler. IMO

If OT had Overbridge and polyphonic samples it’d be close to perfect imo too.

3 Likes

Good on ya :slightly_smiling_face: You get the irony of saying I (or others) should be doing music instead of being on here tho right, whilst being on here yourself :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Exactly. Forget pure perfection but something close could be made. In many ways, I love the different sampling modes on Polyend Tracker, if only it could do a bit more, cross-pollinated with other great samplers such as OT and some of the others mentioned above. It could be done!

2 Likes

very good question, I think it would be easy too, but unfortunately the answer to the question is Pride, not the UI, these things are made by people and people just have too much pride to follow common sense standards… its not rocket science to put some better pads on an Elektron device but the don’t get your peanut butter on my chocolate and don’t get your chocolate on my peanut butter people would bring out the pitchforks… you realize if the elektron sequencer was an option in the mpc that you could charge more for it than Isla charges for the 2400, not to mention pride is the reason why every time you ask a dev for probability, they tell you nahh probability isn’t in the vision for this beat machine… as if anyone who didn’t want to use it could just ‘not use it’,

stereo sampling… not rocket science

wow this beatmachine is so much fun I would love to be able to use it longer, or have more storage for my songs that came from all of the fun I’m having, and what about more project ram in this badass future of ours aka almost 2022… not rocket science

I could go on but it would be redundant… you could draft up the perfect beatmachine in 20 minutes with all of the info we already have… it’s just pride preventing it.

4 Likes

Defining the perfect sampler is tricky. But I do think many modern samplers contain a bunch of downright silly restrictions. Low hanging fruit is to just get rid of those first and then go for perfect.

7 Likes

And a touch of incompetence. Most people just aren’t all that good at what they do. That has to include instrument designers as well, I reckon.

3 Likes

This! I’ve looked at basically all of the modern samplers and there’s always something that turns me off or has me saying WHY!?

2 Likes

Back when samplers hit the market, things like RAM and storage were expensive. Now I can’t walk down the street without tripping over Gigs of RAM. Just seems like an odd limitation to impose on some of these new machines.

9 Likes

and there is definitely a difference between the perfect sampler and the perfect sampling Groovebox/ beatmachine… for the perfect Groovebox we’ve already got the blueprint for all of the great stuff people have loved for quite some time.

everybody is too worried about whether or not they are a finger drummer or not lol… the physical design of the Elektron Rytm would just about be perfect, and then just fill it with the right stuff

2 Likes

It’s fundamentally about where you want to be on the spectrum from ‘feature packed’ to ‘accessible’. At one extreme is a simple groove box, at the other a DAW. No one has really figured out how to expose a huge number of options without losing immediacy. A lot of smart people try, too; personally I think it’s a circle that can’t be squared, just incrementally improved on.
Also: we can’t even agree on whether minijacks are acceptable on a pro audio device, I don’t think there’s any chance of collectively designing the perfect sampler :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hrm, i’ve got to return my 1010 Blackbox because of a flaw, what else is good for chomping down loops beyond the good ol’ Octatrack?

I’ll likely still get a Blackbox but i’ve got the opportunity to throw my credit around if need be.

A less squinty sequencer would be cool too. Anyone switched to the Akai Force?

Anything else i oughta be considering?

I’ve only really used a DAW for like two out of 20+ years of electronic music making, but for me the thing that would make it hard for me to go back to hardware any time soon is the ease of getting stuff into the sampler. This goes for both hip hop-style sampling and multisampled instruments.

Plus, the big screen is nice and proper studio monitors and the ease of file maintenance. Also, I prefer a keyboard to pads, so that lends itself well to the DAW as well.

In the end, I realized that I was mostly using my sampler at the desk where my computer is anyway. I do see a case for live performance, but I don’t do that, so it’s not an issue for me.

I’ve been a lover of hardware samplers forever, so I do get the appeal. I just don’t feel the need to own one right now. I’m in my mid-40s, so I also don’t feel the need to have one machine or another for my indentity either. In my 20s, owning an MPC made me feel like I was part of a club (and of course I love hanging out here so don’t boot me out).

5 Likes

Yep, you hit the nail on the head here. I’d much rather have a limited device that I can feel inspired to make tracks on, because at some point it becomes much more efficient and easy to use a DAW.

3 Likes

There has been many times in the past that I sampled something into the Digitakt and then would have loved to play it polyphonically… been looking around for something all the time. Last object of interest is the Polyend Tracker which can sample and can do 8 voices if I am not mistaken. But most importantly it is easy to save files to a card.

I am going to bring out my good old but effing huge Emax keyboard when I am back home and will try it one more time, the only caveat this thing has is exactly the saving part, I already have a disk emulator in it but it still is a little cumbersome…

If the Digitakt would allow a poly mode like the Digitone has, which shouldn’t be a big issue - or just select the number of voices you want to use for one track, similar to what the A4 can do - I would be very happy…

2 Likes

If people were able to build something, that EVERYONE would agree on, there would not be so many different products of nearly everything on the market.
On top of that: People always want more. You want a polyphonic multi grain sample player? Buy a synth that’s main purpose is to do so :stuck_out_tongue: Want best possible FX: Buy the FX Box that fits YOUR taste.
You cannot put everything in a single box, because my taste of the perfect reverb might be different from your taste.
On top of that: No-one would be willing to pay the price of such a unit, while not using most of its features.

2 Likes

If you’re simply talking about the sampling capabilities of a sampler: slicing, chopping, editing, polyphony… (not including sequencing, effects, etc.), MPCs are excellent.

I literally just want multiple outs and usb audio for recording on the Octatrack.

2 Likes

I really do think just not doing silly stuff like no streaming, stupid little RAM, mono only and such things would go a long way. I totally get the idea of defined and clear limits, but there’s a difference between being clear on what your product is and just not great at designing products.

12 Likes