Why don't you play live shows?

Why don’t you play live shows?

playing live on the stage is the main thing that motivates me to do music.
it’s like sex — me, and audience, and that vibe between us.
continuing this metaphor, studio work is not like sex – because i’m alone.

1 Like

Those who do play live, how do you know what people want to hear?

1 Like

I struggle with this a lot. FB is an awful platform in general regarding business practices and issues surrounding censorship, but if I want to advertise a show or event it’s one of the best places to go about it. FB tends to downplay any YT or performance videos unless it’s in a group where it’s commonplace, but the event function and messaging have been key in playing out. Catch 22.

1 Like

Not an expert here, but in my case I just play what songs or sets I have that I feel sound the best/interesting. I tend to view myself as an artist and more or less play what I want to while keeping in mind what people can tolerate for the most part. Play what you want, DJs play what the crowd wants. (I know that’s a bit hyperbolic, but I think it fits here)

3 Likes

well, no one is born with this skill. it somehow comes with experience, but really hard to explain.

however, i constantly learn what excites me when i attend live shows, and borrow those tricks.

2 Likes

I perform live every few weeks and I love doing it, but I find that even after a couple years experience with Elektron devices it still feels like the music that comes out is for the most part random. It is a legitimate skill to use them intentionally… and I’m starting to respect that.

Live electronica can be expensive too… If you aren’t enthused about computers, like me, the gear just seems to multiply.

I am currently feeling a bit past being enthused by computers, after >20 years programming them, BUT after a few months with hardware I can’t escape how powerful computers really are for this endeavour

1 Like

They help, actually they’re essential for doing some things like arranging and recording, and you need Ableton to do anything but the most repetitive edm, but if I can compose something off of it I’ll choose that. Nothing like firing up your favorite synth or groove box and going at it. With computers it can feel like a house of cards.

1 Like

I used to for a while.

Then I lived in China and despite looking for opportunities (but not creating them) I wasn’t able to find them, plus had two little kids in the mix, so putting the energy into it wasn’t what it once might have been.

I’ve probably also lost my vah vah voom for showcasing my stuff, except for Bandcamp uploads. When I used to put together stuff to play live, there was a bit of intentional drive behind it.

I’m in Warsaw now, and since we came during the pandemic, there haven’t been so many opportunities to put out the tentacles and test the scene, but I’m looking forward to being able to do so. I’d be up for something in the DIY experimental realm, if it exists here, rather than trying to score full on club-type events, but who the heck knows, perhaps if I turn over the right stones in the right places.

2 Likes

I’m looking for people to collaborate with, to get a few people jamming on our electronic boxes. Sadly can’t find anyone near me.

2 Likes

There are so many reasons… like it being one of the worst things that happened to the web. But on a more personal note, it was not good at all for me. This shit does so many mental tricks to keep you a slave that it makes the tobacco industry look good.

3 Likes

I never really went that route. Back when I used to play out all the time I would put some thought into the type of event I was going to be playing at and try to do something I felt was appropriate in one way or another but that’s about it. Sometimes people just aren’t going to like your set, that’s life.
I’d often turn down offers to play if I thought my shit was too incompatible with the event or I’d ask to get either the first or last set so it didn’t interrupt the flow of the night. If people want to hear something other than what I do they can ask someone else.

You’re not in Leeds are you? I’d like to play with others.

At work I program computers, and all my best work has been collaborative. The VERY best stuff has been pair programming (remotely) I was real surprised by this, but there you go, in my late 40s I find out that working in an ego-less pairing with another person is the best way to make something good.

1 Like

Because of Daedelus.

That’s why I don’t play live shows.

A lot of years ago, when I used to play regular gigs in and around Sheffield, I was asked to fill in for one A. Darlington because there was some visa problem meaning they couldn’t make the gig and were stuck in L.A.

It was at the Octagon (where Synthfest takes place, as it happens) which meant that I didn’t have to cater for the usual hip-hop crowd I generally played to as it wasn’t a city centre hip-hop club.

I did a “what would Daedelus play?” tour of my record collection before deciding that the answer would be “whatever Daedelus wants to play!” so I did the same. I played nothing but tracks I wanted to hear through a great PA for a couple of hours to a very responsive crowd that danced throughout, regardless of the occasional curve balls I threw their way.

Literally the best gig I’d had in years.

So I quit and haven’t played a DJ set since.

4 Likes

Yes! I hate it because I feel like it it ensnares me, and entices me to repeat visit, over and over.

I understand, I think. But at the same time, for me, if I want to be involved with cycling (my other hobby) I kind of have to be on facebook, or I miss out. I hate that too.

1 Like

I’m not in Leeds but I’m not far. Although I sometimes cling to my Sheffield postcode and the lifeline to my youth spent in the city that I loved, I’m in Barnsley, which is obviously significant closer to Leeds than Sheffield is.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind but nobody would book me, I haven’t played live in a decade.
:frowning: meh.

This is also due to lazyness

I’d love to play live again, however, i live in Newcastle UK, there isn’t much of a scene…actually, that’s a terrible reason to give why i don’t play live. I’d say the truth is more like: i’m 41 and would be so nervous in front of the 6 people that came to see me that there would be a real risk of soiling myself out of fear. Even if a gig slot was handed to me i’d probably find an excuse to get out of it.

6 Likes

I think self soiling is a different kind of gig.

EDIT to say: I feel that, cos I have backed out once already. And feel myself about to back out of even the local EMOM. Fear is real.

1 Like

I relate to this a lot. Both age and soiling.

4 Likes