Why don't you play live shows?

Dude, if you’re in Leeds, I think there’s an EMOM coming up in August at the Old Red Bus Station, is that the one you’re talking about? Even though I don’t live anywhere near Leeds I might be going up for it, as we have a couple of close friends in the area.

Happy to play a godawful set if it makes you feel more comfortable.

3 Likes

It’s a lovely feeling when you don’t feel so alone!

3 Likes

Yeah, that is what I am aiming for. The Old Red Bus seems like a real hub of bass and drum. Which I don’t play.

Would be great to meet you, and hear your noises.

1 Like

Been to a couple of jungle nights there, had a laugh.
I’ll see what I can do about getting involved.

Will definitely not be doing drum and bass though, I’m shit at it.

2 Likes

It’s been a long time since I played out but did it for 20 years in a band environment. The whole live scene took a massive nose dive in regards to venues back then. The owners and/or promoters went from letting you sell tickets and they got a small proportion to basically pay to play. Also got really fed up with doing a days graft then getting all out gear from the room, traipsing to the venue, soundchecking, sitting around, finally playing to a handful of people who were mostly talking then breaking the gear down, back to the room and home. And paying for the privilege.

After that I joined a band that used to do lots of support slots at places like The Academy here in Manchester. We knew the promoter and he used to get us loads of slots like that. Better experience than playing some of the smaller venues.

2 Likes

hahaha… because my stuff’s not great, and there’s a pandemic going down. our area has an annual “porch fest,” where musicians and artists perform on their porches or in yards across the city. i’d consider setting up a table in my yard for one of those.

3 Likes

Big up the Leeds massive!

My old stomping ground and at the time (90’s and noughties) a hotbed of creative opportunities!

3 Likes

Anxiety, unfortunately.
I did several gigs in the past but can’t say i was enjoying myself.

Im working on that though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

panic.

1 Like

actually that was one of the reasons i quit djing too. i mean 20 years was enough but at some point my anxiety turned “i like to party when i play” to “i need to get fucking loaded before i’m remotely comfortable” and i wasn’t interested (after a while, anyway).

1 Like

I saw Darren Emerson in a club in Newcastle and there was a great crowd, although that was about 10 years ago. Love the people of Newcastle, they always seem up for a party (or shindig as they were saying to us). Just get something banging together, make it easy for yourself at first (using mutes for example) and keeping your setup simple, you’ll surely enjoy it and find people who appreciate it.

1 Like

I was ruling out the idea of playing live because I live in Shanghai and the scene is very commercial here. However, I’m now working on a live set because I just felt the need to create something that’s not just for people on social media. So I hope to get out and play soon, even if it is only to 6 people, I’m sure it will be worthwhile. I might even try to get a gig in Beijing and play there some weekend when I’m ready because I heard it has more of an underground scene. Anyway, making this decision has forced me to work in a new way as I started my live set from scratch rather than trying to adapt already finished tracks for live…so it has me creating new tracks in a very nonlinear way. Also, since I started working more on my live set I’ve found myself caring less about social media (although I will share some live sets/jams eventually), which feels very liberating. So just making the decision to do it has been good for me.

2 Likes

OP here. I haven’t checked in for a while. I’m sorry.

Fuck it. I think we should all make a goal to play live, for the first time, or again, in 2022. Maybe we can all set a common date / time and play coordinated live shows one weekend - to play live in 2022. Is that lame? I don’t know anymore. I’m old. Somebody more clever than me can come up with a hashtag or name.

But why the fuck not? They can’t stop us all. All of us anxious, nervous, self-doubting motherfuckers with a fading dream. Just go for it. After a year like 2020/2021, what have we got to lose? I’m drunk, alone, on a Friday night, and thinking out loud, and will most likely regret posting this tomorrow. But what the hell? Who’s with me?

Book a show, no matter how small, or large, if you’re up for it. Local pub, local open mic, experimental night, art gallery ambient, an empty field, a friend’s New Year’s Eve rager. Let’s look at our calendars, choose a date, and make a big red X on it. And then get to fucking work.

10 Likes

Great idea man, Elektronauts Live Worldwide day or something, I’m in. If you don’t get enough response here it would be worth creating another thread or posting the idea in a thread where more people are active in playing live.

3 Likes

I don’t know how to play songs live. I record everything live, but chop it up and fix things after. I’ve never once practiced playing the same repeat performance, and all of my recordings cannot possibly be recreated.

It’s a goal though, sure, I’d like to one day be able to repeat performances. But I also like that it’s all ephemeral. If only I could learn to perform like Blawan.

I used to say back when I made paintings that i’d make my best work when I’m 50, so… I still have some time, assuming we all make it that far.

1 Like

I have performed live a number of times. The thing is that I usually have to arrange it myself to get the opportunity.
There are very few scenes with electronic music in my area and they would not be interested in anyone who is not at least nationally known.

2 Likes

I perform live shows on bass and guitar, but not as an electronic music creator.

After being a club and radio mix DJ for many years as a side interest, the thought of returning to the party scene environment makes me nauseated at this stage of my life.

2 Likes