Why do you use the Digitakt?

I use the DT primarily for the sequencer but also for its limitations, honestly. As much as I’d love several LFOs, EQs, sample polyphony, etc. I know that the more options I have, the less likely I am to see an idea to completion.

The fact that I can use the DT as a MIDI hub is also crucial to my setup as well.

4 Likes

It’s a pretty solid sequencer, and sampler, but no one has mentioned it makes a table look much nicer. Great piece to use to organize a pair of 1/4" cables too.

2 Likes

Looks matter :sunglasses:

1 Like

But in all earnestness, I’ve used it as the second brain in my setup. It’s great with sequencing most of my other machines, and it usually handles making some weird noises weirder from whatever wavs I put into it.

I hadn’t thought of this before now. Time to go thru my records and see which instruments are hard panned either left or right. Great idea :+1:t5:

2 Likes

I wanted a quick sampler. Bang out beats.
I was gonna sell it, but I like using its midi/cc for modular. It’s on my list of “to sells”, but I’m finding it hard to post it up.

1 Like

I have been recently experimenting with OB + DT in Ableton.
I have shifted to trying to use DT as almost exclusively a 1 shot / drum machine and this has brought a whole new lease of life to the box. Previously I was using it as a conventional sampler, it’s awesome for this too but sometimes the lack of poly can be annoying.

With OB, if I ever make some cool synth sound on DT using sample, I then resample into Ableton’s sampler, allowing me polyphonic playback abilities (but with DT flavoured sounds).
Thus freeing up the DT tracks back to doing drums (and occasionally percussive synth or bass sounds)

Sometimes DT can spit out insannnne mono synth sounds, take any sample, loop playback with very short length, apply the filter (which is excellent imo when you crank resonance just right).
Then maybe I think, oh this could be nice played polyphonically - resample into ableton.
Free up the DT track for another synth sound or another percussive element.

Basically I am using DT as the start point. I begin working on some drum loop, then I might add a synth sound on a track, then resample to Ableton in order to free up tracks.

3 Likes

@circuitghost: as I know you’re Deluge user, you could do this using Deluge instead Ableton if you need polyphony with DT.
Creating beautifully dusted mono synth/waveform from stuff sampled in DT, multi-resample it in Deluge, make it a synth, and enjoy :slight_smile:
My DT is sleeping in its box for too long now, time to take it out again and to try this multi-sampling resampled samples madness :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I go to the digitakt for monosynth sound design and drum machine duty (esp idm). I find it to be much easier to use as a synth than the OT and since I own both, they work together.

I would say that the filters sound really good to me, like as good as some of my modular ones. The envelope is visually depicted in the UI, and is super snappy. The delay is very useful for rhythmic effects and bbd-style short echos. I still prefer my El Capistan pedal as a delay, but it isn’t built-in. The digitakt delay can be kind of sequenced by copying a pattern and only changing the delay/reverb settings. The compressor is actually amazing, it’s one of the main reasons I don’t bother with overbridge. Everything gets glued together in the box by the compressor in a pleasing way. There are also a ton of UI improvements that have come with recent updates that keep me coming back as well, like being to set probability for a track in general.

If what you are really asking is if you will feel let down by the DT if you got it again, I think the answer is “You will not be disappointed.”

edited for clarity.

4 Likes

It fits perfectly as an instagram photo proportions:)

3 Likes

It just makes it very easy to edit a rhythm in a lot of detail.

3 Likes

I really truly don’t understand why the decision is made for OB to not allow for passing external input through the unit its just such a shame. Imagine using that compressor as
master audio effect on a full track would be very nice

1 Like

Workflow for me. I tried going back to Logic for a bit for working ITB with the new quick sampler and step sequencer, but the DT is much more immediate for me, even if it is limited in some ways

2 Likes

Very perceptive :blush: thanks :blush:

2 Likes

I’m going all in, getting that damn Retrokit cable as well. Polyphony, here I come.

1 Like

Might be relevant, you just reminded me I own that cable :smiley:

1 Like

I was a long time Logic user, I enjoyed it, but somehow it got to the point where I just couldn’t stand it anymore, the endless possibilities, the infinite sounds and samples just killed my creativity dead. Suddenly music became a chore . To try combat this I bought the ARmk1, loved it, but was underutilising the analog engines so I swapped it for a DT…never looked back.

I now start all of my music on the DT. I can do what I want, achieve the sound I want, I find that with some preparation I can mix in the box quite adequately also. It can do everything I need it to and more. Logic now is only used as a sample editor and multitrack recorder. The music and most of the performance is all done in the DT.

I love the sound, to my ears it has a nice and sparkly top end and great bass.
The limitations of sample space and sample slots is something I really appreciate. It has just the right set of tools to be able to create almost any sound I want…how deep you can go is up to you. 3 years in and I’m still discovering new things it can do.

It’s amazing at creating both organic dusty textures as well as clinical machinelike beats. The combination of both is very much the sound I’m after.
I would go as far as to say that my music has evolved and adapted for working specifically with the DT.

So why do I use the Digitakt?

• I really like the “hi-fi” sound
  • The limitations really feed my creativity
  • It’s super quick to get results
  • I’m so used to the sequencer I can’t really imagine using anything at this point
  • The ability to throw it in my backpack and go
  • I kept thinking I’ll get tired of the effects but I haven’t yet, they just work
  • Bit Reduction, the secret weapon most people don’t seem to appreciate
  • I don’t need anything else to make music, just my headphones, thats very liberating for me
13 Likes

Thanks to the advise of all the fine ladies and gentlemen on this forum and this thread in particular, I now got a Digitakt. I’ve pimped it with a retrokit cable so it’s also a poly synth now, and I’ve done some messing about to hardwire resampling through my Chase Bliss stuff. Thank god for Elektron’s routing and the power of stereo inputs that sum to mono. And battery packs. Not a wall plug in sight.

2 Likes

Actually you can feed the Digitakt shit and it will still spit out gold,almost in any occasion.

It’s the crispier sounding machine I ever heard in the groove box area.Single cycle wave logic and it’s loop in general is genius.

It can create bass that destroy floors.I make piano chords from SCW piano parts,different between them.

In general it sparks creativity in ways that you don’t expect.It definitely can make the punchier kicks with that overdrive and filter.Actually the filter is a true gem.

But all ties up with this sequencer.Retrigs left and right with pithed percussion,sample locks,I literally think that my music is more alive than ever.

It can make you better musician because it forces you to think as a composer and perform it in real time.And this lack of song mode is a blessing.
“Because yea,I killed the pattern with control all so greatly that sounds like a perfect break,so because the next pattern is a break,why not go back to to the main beat instead and do the breakdown afterwards”?

This is complete musical freedom and something that I can’t live without as a composer anymore.

9 Likes

You guys are killing me, I am trying so hard not to break on getting a DT and this thread does not help. I know, I know, I can ignore it but wheres the fun in that!

2 Likes