Why do people not like Pickup Machines?

The simplest answer: automation. Think about resampling constantly internal or external sources). Maybe the whole pattern, maybe just a few steps here and there spread across your pattern (multiple rec trigs) …

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to ponder the possibilities of this!

I recently made some new tests (I’m not sick yet), and I confirm that with Rec+Flex you can record and play just after, quantized of not. You can use Rec buttons + Track/Play or preferably external midi, no trigs needed.

Overdub possible, using Combo Rec and SRC3=recording track.

Monitoring possible, playing the recording just after the recording start.

1 Like

Yes, this is annoying :
AFAIK for correct auto tempo guess, the original tempo has to be between 85 and 170 from the manual. I experienced it differently with 80.7 - 161.4 bpm. :thinking:

Other problem, even quantized to a bar, if you want to record 2 bars and miss the beat, you record 3 bars but the tempo become 4/3 of the original sequencer one.
At 120 bpm, the tempo become 160 bpm for example. Same problem if you quantize to 4 steps for example. As you can’t disable timestretch with Pickups, it messes everything.

The best workaround I found (for me) is to record the first Pickup loop with a defined RLEN and corresponding quantize to avoid any tempo change. Other possibility, choose the quantize corresponding to the length you want, press record, then press record just after (ONE2 mode), so that you record quantize duration.
If someone has better solutions, I’m interested in.

7 Likes

Full disclosure, I’m also still learning the ins and outs, and the nitty gritties of flex recording…

I wonder if moving the TRIG setting in RecSetup1 to “One2” would alleviate that.

Perhaps one of the members on our resident OT Wizard Council could chime in on that. Ah, I see @sezare56 turning the corner of the hallway now… let’s ask him.

3 Likes

Missed that. Read briefly, my guess is recording is probably not delayed, but playback can be if the Flex trig is on the same position as Rec trig. Add +1/384 microtiming to the Flex trig to play the the recording just after it’s beginning…
Ask more if needed…
:sleeping_bed:

3 Likes

Just to follow up. It’s been about a week experimenting and I’m pretty happy with live looping with both flex and pick up machines synced with stems I created in Ableton. The looping is a bit different than I’m used but I have it set up pretty close to how I did it in Ableton. This whole set up is coming together nicely and I’m confident I will be able to gig with this and a couple other boxes with confidence and an adventurous spirit.

4 Likes

great to hear!

Let’s bring this full circle and ask:

Do you like pickup machines? If so, why? If not, why? :wink:

1 Like

So far I haven’t really had any problems with them since I got quantize and record length dialed in. I like the easy overdub. They follow the master bpm no problem and since I’m using a midi controller and set length I don’t think I will accidentally close the loop too soon and destroy the tempo. I think what I’ll do is have one flex and one pickup in my live set. For vocals and stuff with long tails I’ll use the pickup. For loops I want to slice and mangle I’ll use the flex. Best of both worlds!

1 Like

I’ll try this

1 Like

I am working on a guitar / octatrack set. I use the pickup machines as a looper to record a guitar part and phrases. Then I can play over them, mangle the, etc.

There is a looper built into my pedalboard, but I like using the Octatrack better. I have the pedlaboard sending MIDI CC to the OT, so I can use the pickup machines hands-free. Works great!

So in my workflow, the OT is a drum machine and looper. No issues with the pickup machines in that regard.

5 Likes

Good to hear! I’m using both pickup and flex for live looping guitar, vocals and keys along with drums and stems in the OT. I’m putting together a big set for summer shows 2020.

1 Like

Do you know about the +1/384 microtiming on Flex step thing?
It let you play an SRC3 recording just after the beginning of the rec trig recording.

Microtiming is not needed for AB/CD recordings to play them instantly.

3 Likes

I’ve heard of this. I’ll have to experiment with it. Thanks

1 Like

The micro timing fixed my issue! Now looping is behaving exactly as I want it to. I’m also very excited because with this I figured out that I can tell the Octatrack to erase or record my loops for me at specific places just by placing rec trigs. Game changer!

7 Likes

yes, thank you!! I remember this workaround didn’t do it for me because I couldn’t spare the dummy master pickup track. But all I needed was a second OT :smiley:
I changed my mk2 for an mk1 (for various reasons), many months ago already. but I didn’t sell the mk2 yet. Now I am happy I didn’t !! slightly more expensive setup, but totally worth it!

2 Likes

Could you elaborate?
Using pickups?
I don’t think there’s a workaround if you are out of the tempo guess range with Pickups.

Indeed, I was celebrating too soon… It does not work for the bpm doubling issue.

In a first round it worked. But then
After recording a first pickup machine for 1 bar at 70BPM, which is then to be master and has a high bar indicated at the left of the P, I record a slave loop of a few bars, and boom, jumps to 140 BPM :tired_face:

So, doesn’t work… but now my mind is set on this again.

before I start wrapping my head around looping with flex machines again. Is it possible to do this without pre determined record lengths?

can you elaborate on this?

Yes, but with a defined tempo, QREC, as long as you don’t record values like 3 steps, 5 steps, 7 steps, 9 steps, etc.
You need to record 1, 2, 4, 8 etc. How to call these values btw?

Maybe you don’t want a defined tempo?

How do you record? OT buttons or external midi.